Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

m5r2 shifter rebuild help !!! Fixed !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:25 AM
fcmtnbiker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m5r2 shifter rebuild help !!! Fixed !!!

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 1991 F150 M5R2 shifter with new bushings and pin kit and can't seem to figure out how to remove the piece of all thread holding the shifter arm to the shifter so that I can get the top bushing and new cover plate on.

Who has done one and knows where there are instructions?

Thanks,
FC

Ok Guys for a reference the piece of all thread is in fact a retainer that has a nut on the right\passenger side and shows threads on both sides giving the appearance of being one single all thread. Once you remove the nut or losen to the outter edge you may have to heat it slightly but a little tap on the nut will knock it loose and remove the nut then slide the the retainer with shoulder out to the left\drivers side. Then the shifter slips out and you can then use all the rebuild parts in the kit to tighten up the shifter and make is shift like new again!

Last edited by fcmtnbiker; 01-15-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: clearer meaning
Old 01-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Ed Bamba
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the nut off the bolt from the right side of the shifter and thread it onto the left side of the bolt. Tightening the nut will pull the bolt off the shifter. Reinstallation is opposite of the removal process.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:56 PM
fcmtnbiker
New User
mine was pretty rusty and they are in fact not bolts and will not thread out from the left side but instead are a double threaded shoulder bolt that once the nut is removed can be tapped with a hammer from right to left to remove. I could post some pictures if anyone wants?

Old 01-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Kapusta
Cargo Master
Received 1,715 Likes on 641 Posts
I'd be curious to know how you can disassemble the gear shift lever itself. I have a really nice shift lever from my old M5 that I'd like to use on my ZF. I haven't figured a way to separate the upper part from the lower part of the lever. I've tried heating the lever with a heat gun but I didn't want to go so hot that it would damage the paint.
The **** OTH, came off without any issue.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Ed Bamba
More Turbo
Originally Posted by fcmtnbiker
mine was pretty rusty and they are in fact not bolts and will not thread out from the left side but instead are a double threaded shoulder bolt that once the nut is removed can be tapped with a hammer from right to left to remove. I could post some pictures if anyone wants?
That's what the nut is used for. It actually pulls (loosens) the bolt out of the shifter base. Supposed to eliminate the need for pounding it out. When you go to reinstalling it, use the nut to pull the bolt back through.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:10 PM
fcmtnbiker
New User
That is correct you use the nut from the right side and move it to the left side, tighten and it is suppose to loosen the shoulder. Mine was old enough and rusted enough I had to heat it and tap it slightly on the round casting area to pop it loose. I basically heated it with a propane torch for a couple of minutes and then turned until tight applying about 30 - 40 pds of pressure and then using a small ball peen tapped on the round casting area the is sticking up... (that is sticking up if you are mounted in a vise). Then turned the nut about a half turn tapped again and it popped out.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Ed Bamba
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I'd be curious to know how you can disassemble the gear shift lever itself. I have a really nice shift lever from my old M5 that I'd like to use on my ZF. I haven't figured a way to separate the upper part from the lower part of the lever. I've tried heating the lever with a heat gun but I didn't want to go so hot that it would damage the paint.
The **** OTH, came off without any issue.
For the M5,the small round plate on top of the top cover (top plate) is the only thing that holds the shift lever assembly in place. The assembly consist of the upper and lower shift lever. The top plate is bolted to the top of the transmission. I don't think parts from the two trannies will interchange. But anything is possible I guess.

Originally Posted by fcmtnbiker
That is correct you use the nut from the right side and move it to the left side, tighten and it is suppose to loosen the shoulder. Mine was old enough and rusted enough I had to heat it and tap it slightly on the round casting area to pop it loose. I basically heated it with a propane torch for a couple of minutes and then turned until tight applying about 30 - 40 pds of pressure and then using a small ball peen tapped on the round casting area the is sticking up... (that is sticking up if you are mounted in a vise). Then turned the nut about a half turn tapped again and it popped out.
Wow, guess I'm spoiled living in the desert. Stuff does rust here, but nowhere near as bad as it does in the snow belt. Glad to hear that you got it done.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Kapusta
Cargo Master
Received 1,715 Likes on 641 Posts
Sorry for the hi-jack, I was talking about the actual shift lever. It consists of the black painted shift lever with the **** and the cast / forged iron part that appears to be wedged into the shift lever. I was hoping there is an easy way to separate them.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:12 PM
fcmtnbiker
New User
Anyone know where I can post a 'How to' I took photos and it sounds like something that can be used?