Camo

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Ak Ford Man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camo

I'm seriously thinking about painting my 1980 Ford F-150 Camo. Last year, I sanded all the rust off, and just painted it over with Rustoleum. I was going to paint it blue, and started to think, the Camo would fit my personality better, and everything else I have is camo.

Now, I am just kinda looking for Ideas. When I did my snow machine, I used green and black as a base, then white for the overlay. What I was thinking for the truck, was All the chrome (Bumpers, grill, Mirror's) black, and then paint the truck Black, and brown, with a green over lay (On the snow machine, I used a spruce limb, and laid it over the paint, and then painted the white over lay, turned out really nice)

I'm just kinda looking for ideas. Its gonna be a few months before It warms up enough to paint, so I have time to think about it.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:40 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know, I saw a truck on Pirate4x4.com a while ago that really struck me. It was actually setup as a 2 tone with flat tan down to about the groove on the top of the bed, and was OD green from there down. Haven't been able to find the picture since, though...

Old 02-04-2011, 10:12 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Camouflaged 73 F-100 4x4

Here's the camo job on my rig. I used Krylon's Camo paint series.. black, brown, olive, and tan... about $4 a can from Walmart. I think four colors is more interesting than three.

The wheels were shot with Rustoleum Hammerite bronze cuz they needed to contrast the tires.

Lastly, I shot the grill's leading edges with silver, masked them off with 3M 1/4-inch fine line tape and then shot the returns dark charcoal. IMO, all black grills makes 'em lose their "Fordness". Mine is still recognizable as a 73-75 F100.

... I've got shedded antlers from an 8-pointer that's gonna get mounted to a roof-top light bar.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Ak Ford Man
Senior User
So, did you use a pattern, or just spray it on??

Old 02-05-2011, 10:56 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
I researched some patterns and aslo observed the patterns of shadows under some large oaks in my neighbor hood and then penciled it on. Just went with the flow from then on. Use four colors... it's more interesting.

You're in AK... would using a snow pattern be "safe" in your parts. I mean, I'm in California and somebody seems to always live relative close by where I wheel... It's not like me or my truck can get totally lost or locatable.. that is, if I wanted to be located.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Ak Ford Man
Senior User
I was gonna to a four (Green base)color Scuce pattern . I did my snow machine that way (3 color, with white base), and it turned out really sweet.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Cool. Fire it u.......oh, a little too chilly right now up in AK.

I didn't shoot a base color per se... I just alternated cans and shot different colored patches in one long swoop.

Man, I feel for ya... we had a temp of 72 degrees today. Talk about winter driving me nuts for the past few weeks but it's nothing compared to what yall experience up there. Brrrrrrr.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Ak Ford Man
Senior User
yeah. A bit cold to paint......

Old 02-09-2011, 07:33 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I dig the camo. Nice ride. Oh yeah, the gun rack is perfect. Now if it was safe to leave them in their for a longer period of time then just deer season. That would be moose season in Ak. I've been living off of Newfy moose and bou for 2 years now.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Ak Ford Man
Senior User
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
I dig the camo. Nice ride. Oh yeah, the gun rack is perfect. Now if it was safe to leave them in their for a longer period of time then just deer season. That would be moose season in Ak. I've been living off of Newfy moose and bou for 2 years now.
I leave a gun in my truck 24/7 (Most of the time, on of my NEF handi rifles, of my pump 16ga shotgun) right in plain sight...Here is delta, everyone is smart enough to leave them alone, because if they mess with it, some one will see them, and just shoot them, cuzz everyone has a gun....Up in fairbanks, it's another story. I just stick my rifel in the tool tox when I am up there, or parking the truck for a afternoon out in the woods.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:01 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would expect to be pulled over and questioned in my neck of the woods. I think I would be supprised if the rifle and window glass lasted more than a couple of weeks.
Someday I've got to visit that state. Brown's would be top of the list for me.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 PM
pintoches
Postmaster
I have been thinking about camo too, for my Ugly stepchild build. I have been trying to decide on spray cans or paint gun. The paint gun offers a better paint job but harder to switch colors and mach later after a rock or tree rub.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Ak Ford Man
Senior User
Originally Posted by pintoches
I have been thinking about camo too, for my Ugly stepchild build. I have been trying to decide on spray cans or paint gun. The paint gun offers a better paint job but harder to switch colors and mach later after a rock or tree rub.
I think spray paint will be best, because if it gets scraped off, just grab a can, and touch it up.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Thanks.

'can't leave the rifles in the rig in CA.. too many dirtbags around here. yeah, a moose goes a long way.

Spray cans is the way to go IMO.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 PM
hojolabo
Senior User
You can buy a vinyl sheet for that if you want to do a search ,
I was thinking of it on my 92' but didn't think I was good enough to satisfy myself on a first try. I have since sold the 92' but am planning on doing my Honda 250 four trax, I'm pretty sure I can handle that myself and be satisfied.
Good Luck either way it would look as you want it to look.