1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk Coming From Rear Of Truck? Help!

Old 03-07-2003, 01:46 PM
RichCT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Occasionally I get this somewhat loud clunk that comes from the rear of my truck. It is a 2002 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 shortbed. The only time I hear the clunk is if I hit a big bump in the road or usually when I turn into or exit a steep driveway. It doesn't happen any other time. The clunk comes when the truck flexes from hitting the bump, or from turning into or out of the transition of a steep incline, such as a driveway or parking lot entrance. The clunk is definitely coming from the rear. Has anyone else experienced this, or something similar? Do you know what it may be? Is it normal? I'm thinking it could be a possible loose bed mount or cab mount but I haven't crawled underneath to check for myself. Anyway, I have an appointment to bring my truck in next Tues. to get it looked at but I figured I'd ask you guys first since many of you know more than my local dealer does. By the way, the trucks suspension is completely stock. I want to get this problem fixed before I install my lift kit.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 03-07-2003, 03:12 PM
jade97
More Turbo
Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Mine does it also...

I think it could be the helper spring coming in contact with the rubber snubbers in the back.

Old 03-07-2003, 03:19 PM
RichCT
Senior User

So maybe this clunk is normal and not a problem???

The only thing is that I'm pretty sure my suspension is not fully flexed where the bumpstop would be coming into contact with the spring/axle. But maybe this is not what you are referring to.

Old 03-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Oneof6
Senior User

I had a F-350 company truck that had a badly balanced tire. Had it balanced and the youngtster with the air impact tightened half the lugs. All I heard was whirr whirr whirr and didn't check it myself. Later in the week when I would turn into an incline or back up with the wheels turned it would pop. Made a sound like a ball joint that was real loose.

Old 03-07-2003, 09:51 PM
Quikirk
Elder User

If you have a rear stabilizer on the trk it will make this kind of noise in the situations you're describing, not unusual, just the bar flexing in the bushings. They tend to limit articulation.

Search this Thread