Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Junior User

countryboy69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
what to do about wheel hop?

Hi guy's i got an 08 f-350 and i would like to eliminate the wheel hop. I was thinking about getting the deaver 5 1/2" lift springs and getting rid of the 4" block in the rear. would this eliminate the wheel hop or would i be better to go with traction/ladder bars? does anyone make a kit?
Old 01-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Postmaster

mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
Depending on how stiff they are, the Deavers should certainly help.

But a well designed traction bar should be even more effective.
'99 F250 V10 Super Cab Long Bed 4x4. '06 short block, PI conversion, modded airbox, 5 Star custom tune, FM50BB, 315/75-16 GY Duratracs, mild lift, 4.30 LSD, Ride-Rite bags, on board air, Rancho RS9000 w/MyRide, under bed subwoofer, 160 amp Quick Start large case alternator
Why, yes, I am some kind of geek engineer. Thank you for asking.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Posting Guru

DAVE67FD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
By wheel hop i assume you mean the typical SD bounce that occurs? Wheel hop is usually refered to the situation that occurs on take-off or under heavy braking at higher speeds. True wheel hop (as mentioned in the later) usually isn't considered much of a problem or a concern with the SD's. This is usually more of an issue with lifted trucks with larger tires that are used for off-road or competition and can be cured by the use of ladder/traction bars as you mentioned. If used for highway/road applications it can create a very harsh ride depending on how they are set-up, adjusted or used with other associated hardware.

If it's the more popular SD "bounce" you are refering to it can be difficult to eliminate and is a normal attribute of most pick-ups especially long beds. You can try experimenting with different tire pressures, loading the bed or changing spring/shock types and rates as you mentioned. These can also change the degree of true wheel hop as well. If you mainly use your truck for on road i would consider not using the bars or at least research several types for their expected performance and usage before purchasing.

"06" F-250 XLT/SC/LB/FX4/5.4L/ 6-SPD man.
man.transfer & hubs/HD service front springs/rear swaybar/Line-X/"BLACK"

"04" Escape Limited/"BLACK"
"00" Mustang V6/"BLACK"
"71" Bronco, 302, "BLACK/RED"
"67" Fairlane 500 Conv./289 HI-PO/"RED"
Ohh Ya Almost Forgot-"96" Nissan Pathfinder/"BLACK"
Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Junior User

countryboy69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
maybe it is "bouncing". when i try to back up or go ahead in snow it does hop. i just assumed it was wheel hop where the leaves curve into a "s" and releases.

It is an extended cab long box, v-10 standard. so there is little weight back there. runs unloaded most of the time as well.

so would the blistein 5100 series shocks help. i was looking into these shocks.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:05 PM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Sounds like axle wrap.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 01-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Senior User

HuntsDucks70 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HuntsDucks70 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy69 View Post
maybe it is "bouncing". when i try to back up or go ahead in snow it does hop. i just assumed it was wheel hop where the leaves curve into a "s" and releases.

It is an extended cab long box, v-10 standard. so there is little weight back there. runs unloaded most of the time as well.

so would the blistein 5100 series shocks help. i was looking into these shocks.

yup, its axle wrap. shocks could have minimal effect, if the valving were aggressive enough, but like other have stated, traction bars to eliminate it.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Senior User

PsycoJuana is starting off with a positive reputation.
got a rear limited slip? on my 2002 it has a limited slip and can get like a bucking bronco, when dug in the snow. i have found it happens when im trying to get on it easy and spinning tires slowly or one that is. but if i just hit gas hard and get em to lock up and spin then no hop
Old 01-14-2011, 06:02 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2009, 250, box, f100, f250, ford, fords, hop, hops, lifted, long, snow, spinning, truck, wheel