1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Which T5 for 60 F100?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:18 AM
niteowl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which T5 for 60 F100?

I am trying to figure out if an 80s HO Mustang T5 will work in my 60 F100.
I have seen posts talking about the shifter being far back on the tailshaft and being a problem but have seen posts also that said in a 60 it still fit reasonably well. Those posts did not specify which T5 tranny they used though so I still do not know if it will work with the Mustang T5.

I have a 302 being built and setup for a T5 and want to go the least complicated route for the tranny. I already have a clutch pedal but will need to identify the best method for connecting to the tranny once one has been chosen.

Anyone have more specific info for the 57-60 model years?

Thanks.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:25 AM
niteowl
Senior User
Someone must have put a T5 in their 57-60 F100. Anyone?
My new engine is arriving next week and I need to work on getting a tranny so I can get to work on it once the snow thaws.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Niteowl, first check the fit of the T-5 you are going to use. If the shifter is too far back, do a S-10 tailshaft conversion which moves it forward. there are kits available for it.
jim

Old 02-11-2011, 08:51 AM
niteowl
Senior User
Originally Posted by hellfirejim
Niteowl, first check the fit of the T-5 you are going to use. If the shifter is too far back, do a S-10 tailshaft conversion which moves it forward. there are kits available for it.
jim
I do not have the T5 yet and am trying to determine what will work best.
I have seen posts that suggest the Mustang HO T5 fits without shifter clearance problems in the 57-60 but it was difficult to tell if they really had the Mustang T5 or a different one.
I am trying to get bellhousing to shifter measurements so I can check my truck to see where that would place the shifter.
If it fits, no mods needed. Otherwise since I have to obtain a transmission anyway I would look for the best fit up front with the least modifications.

I also have to figure out the clutch and speedo hookup both of which will center around what transmission I end up with.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:00 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Be careful and make sure you get a world class t-5 as that is the only one strong enough. Also Only use the tailshaft from the S -10 as the S -10 trans is not strong enough. The tailshaft swap is literally a bolt together. I think keisler has them. Not sure on the spelling.

jim

Old 02-11-2011, 09:24 AM
niteowl
Senior User
Be careful and make sure you get a world class t-5 as that is the only one strong enough. Also Only use the tailshaft from the S -10 as the S -10 trans is not strong enough. The tailshaft swap is literally a bolt together. I think keisler has them. Not sure on the spelling.

jim
It sounds to me like I should get an HO Mustang T5 and if the shifter is too far back then pick up the S10 tailshaft and all should be good eh?

Any recommendations on clutch hookup?
My truck was modified long before I got it. Switched over from a manual to a C4 and I have no idea how the clutch worked in the original transmission.
Easiest to just go with a cable setup? I still have the original clutch pedal in the truck but the master cylinder is broken.

Thanks.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
I wish i can help with this but I am not experienced enough. If you don't get an answer here then I would suggest you start a thread about clutch hookup. You will get your answer.
jim

Old 02-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Brian's 48
Senior User
Are you using a bench seat or buckets. Buckets will give you more room to play with the shift location. In the GM Camaro T5 the shift is about 27" from the rear face of the engine to the shifter, the Mustang should be similar. If you are using a bench seat you could make a custom shift handle to work around the front of the seat. The Mustang uses a bolt on shift handle so it 's easy to modify.
Brian

Old 02-11-2011, 10:48 PM
niteowl
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brian's 48
Are you using a bench seat or buckets. Buckets will give you more room to play with the shift location. In the GM Camaro T5 the shift is about 27" from the rear face of the engine to the shifter, the Mustang should be similar. If you are using a bench seat you could make a custom shift handle to work around the front of the seat. The Mustang uses a bolt on shift handle so it 's easy to modify.
Brian
I currently have a bench seat. I plan on replacing with a split bench from a Crown Victoria that has electric adjusters on the driver side. They have been sitting in my shed for about 9 years.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:00 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
I was not aware that the crown vic split bench would fit. What year is that seat? If the caddy seats I am looking at fall through then I definately am interested in your install of the bench seats. When you put it in, post pictures please.
thanks
jim

Old 02-12-2011, 09:12 AM
niteowl
Senior User
I was not aware that the crown vic split bench would fit. What year is that seat? If the caddy seats I am looking at fall through then I definately am interested in your install of the bench seats. When you put it in, post pictures please.
thanks
jim
I believe it was an 80 or 82. It was about 10 years ago I stripped the car down for parts saving the front seats, engine, AOD tranny, bolt-on tranny crossmember, seats and power window motors and switches.
I believe I measured back then and it would clear. I really liked the fully adjustable electric driver seat. I figured all I would need to do is build a small mounting frame for the seats once I determined the best height.
It may be a long time before I get to the seats but once the snow melts and I can get at stuff I will do some measurements to confirm the fit.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:25 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
I'm not sure if this article will apply,since it's from a site catering to the flathead engine,but I did originally see it either here or on the YBlocks Forever site.

Steve

The Ultimate T-5 Swap Article

Here's another article from the H.A.M.B.,which has links to many other articles:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=169265

Old 02-12-2011, 09:54 AM
niteowl
Senior User
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
I'm not sure if this article will apply,since it's from a site catering to the flathead engine,but I did originally see it either here or on the YBlocks Forever site.

Steve

The Ultimate T-5 Swap Article

Here's another article from the H.A.M.B.,which has links to many other articles:

TRANSMISSION - T5 Tech Links - THE H.A.M.B.
I had seen the Ultimate T5 Swap article before but not the others, thanks.
They will be a big help when I do the swap.
Right now I am hoping someone might be able to tell me either if the HO Mustang T5 will fit as is or even get lengths I can measure with to see how it might fit. It does sound like the Mustang T5 with an S10 tailshaft might be the way to go.

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:47 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Originally Posted by niteowl
I believe it was an 80 or 82. It was about 10 years ago I stripped the car down for parts saving the front seats, engine, AOD tranny, bolt-on tranny crossmember, seats and power window motors and switches.
I believe I measured back then and it would clear. I really liked the fully adjustable electric driver seat. I figured all I would need to do is build a small mounting frame for the seats once I determined the best height.
It may be a long time before I get to the seats but once the snow melts and I can get at stuff I will do some measurements to confirm the fit.
Thanks for the effort. No rush when ever you can I would appreciate it as it gives me options. I to like the idea of an electrical adjusted drivers side. To be honest I hope I get the caddy buckets that have been promised but you know how that goes......

jim