Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

Adieu, Aerostar......

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:06 AM
tworock
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adieu, Aerostar......

Well, I've replaced my '93 Eddie Bauer AWD Extended with the basic Transit Connect. Purchased in New Mexico and driven back to the Chicago area, averaging 26.85 mpg on the last measurable tank of gas, empty except for me and two pieces of luggage. I guess I sort of went with the flow, as the tranny never once kicked down to third, even through Missouri on I-44. This is one quirky little vehicle, but now that it's home, I'll rarely have to worry about long highway trips. So, anybody going to need one old Aerostar, keep your eye out at the proper place on the forum.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:28 AM
tworock
Freshman User
One other thing: my Connect came with the BASIC stereo, as opposed to the stereo with the CD PLAYER. What this translates to is that the only clock is the digital one in the instrument cluster that can be toggled between miles remaining in the fuel tank or MILITARY TIME (24 hour mode). THERE IS NO WAY TO CHANGE THE MODE TO A 12 HOUR MODE. It took a tech at the local dealership quite some time to come up with a Ford SSM Number 20939, that states that this is a product characteristic, and can not be changed. Thought I left this mode behind with my Honorable Discharge in 1974......

Old 11-20-2010, 10:48 AM
tworock
Freshman User
One other other thing. My other vehicle is a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. If Ford is listening, I would have bought this Connect much sooner if it had a diesel in it. Might even buy a second, IF they had the diesel as an option....

Old 11-20-2010, 11:22 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tworock
One other other thing. My other vehicle is a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. If Ford is listening, I would have bought this Connect much sooner if it had a diesel in it. Might even buy a second, IF they had the diesel as an option....
I would not hold my breath waiting for the diesel, especially if you were able to get almost 27 mpg with the gas version and only a 4 speed auto trans. At the LA show, they are showing a TC with full windows, and reports are that the interior is a bit more civilized. It's looking better all the time to me as an eventual replacement for full size vans which I've had since 1986. My E150 still has a ways to go, however. I would like an extra foot of length in the interior (for 7 feet) or even more ideally, the ability to take 4x8 sheets of stuff inside, but that's my own wishful thinking (compared to yours about the diesel). Ultimately, I'd not mind a traditional minivan, but the alternatives, are Honda and Toyota (and I prefer an American nameplate) and the new Chrysler minivans, which appear to have horrible reliability. Keep us up on your experience and thanks for the report, George

Old 11-20-2010, 02:42 PM
tworock
Freshman User
This Connect came with a shelf attached to the drivers side rear. Hoping that I can stand a few pieces of drywall up against it as the shelving unit precludes laying the drywall flat between the wheel wells (or from putting the jacking tools into the compartment designed to hold them.) I too would have liked another foot or two in length. Found something a little while ago that concerns me. The hose from the air filter appears to be dry rotted with several cracks in the rubber. This lead me to check the build date, which as best as I can tell is 08/09. The unit was bought in Santa Fe, and I guess there's no telling how long it sat in the dealer lot, but I guess I'm going to have to get it to my local dealer here in the Western Suburbs and have all the hoses looked at.