Sponsored by:

Excursion on frozen snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:04 PM
UrbanXX
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Excursion on frozen snow

I took my Excursion out today and found a Sub-division that had frozen snow almost ice on the side road. Absoultrely no traction at all. I think these X's are awful in snow and worse in stopping. Mine has a limited-slip and is a 4x4. The thing fishtails like crazy.
Bottom line, its is hard to get mass moveing and even worst to get mass stopped on a slick surface. It has Michelin XT tires.
I was actually suprised how little traction it has on a slick surface. The thing is just plain scary even with the 4x4 locked in.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by UrbanXX
Absoultrely no traction at all....The thing fishtails like crazy...I was actually suprised how little traction it has on a slick surface.
Considering the conditions you described, that sounds pretty much like any vehicle without chains or studs.

4-wheel or not, rubber on ice is still slick.

Stewart

Old 01-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Dads79
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love mine in snow and ice. I live out in the country and am a member of local VFD. We had a medical call on Monday( we got 6" of snow Sunday night). The house was about a half mile off the main road. EMS was afraid to take their rig up the drive. So we laid the middle seat down(had back seat out) and took the EMS crew up to house.Loaded patient on back board and took everyone including his wife and mother back to the ambulance for transport.Mine has BFG A/T's on it. It is superior in snow than my F-250.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:01 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all has to do with tires.. My F350 was extremly bad in the snow with the "average" tire.. But when i put my duratracs on it was amazing in the snow. Buy your self some good rubbers, and youll be veryy happy hahahah

Old 01-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I dunno guys, snow is one thing, but tires on ice are still slick.

I've had my Ex in a bunch of snow and the Toyo Open Country's handled them like it was nothing, but I'm sure if I were to drive on ice, it would be a different story.

Stewart

Old 01-14-2011, 01:55 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i've said it before i'll say it again. tires MAKE the truck in snow/ice conditions.

i run studded soft compound snow tires and she gets going an stops on a dime. we have roads which would be considered an icerink. no issues here. just wish i had a LS rear end my only downfall.

cooper discover M&S studded on the excursion

firestone winterforce studded on the expedition

Old 01-14-2011, 04:51 AM
locknload223
Posting Guru
Sure ice is ice but tire tread, width and air pressure make a huge difference, not to mention the 8,000lbs you have. Plus the added weight in the rear makes these work better than pick ups in snow and ice.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:52 AM
6ofus
New User
Originally Posted by locknload223
........ Plus the added weight in the rear makes these work better than pick ups in snow and ice.
This is true. Excursions are more balanced front to rear than pick ups. That makes a huge difference in traction.

I have the Toyo Open Country, also. They are great tires for snow. Actually, they have been great in all areas. These have 50k miles now, about to start looking for another set.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:29 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the FEW times I visited areas with snow/ice (or it visited us here in DFW !) the original bfg's did great whenever it could break through any ice to get to any snow or if it was just snow... AND they lasted 95k or so

the current Mich's are more of a highway tire and not as good...

but ice IS ice as you say and stopping 8000 lbs, no matter WHAT tires without studs/chains, is harder than stopping a car weighing 2000 lbs

Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 AM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
It all has to do with tires.. My F350 was extremly bad in the snow with the "average" tire.. But when i put my duratracs on it was amazing in the snow. Buy your self some good rubbers, and youll be veryy happy hahahah
I agree with the tires making the difference, however, on ice no matter how good a tire you have, it will not start or stop anywhere near optimally. On a similar note, ieathybrids...how do you like the Duratracs on your truck, do they "wander" like I have heard with these heavy trucks, and how do they hold up towing (if you have)? Thanks.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:03 AM
bigk_54
Junior User
Ice is Ice, but in snow my truck will go through it like hot knife through butter! Well that is if it doesn't sink like a boulder in the middle of a lake. I hardly ever even put my truck in 4wd. In the winter I drop a couple lbs out of my tires too, seems to help. I'm running BFG A/T's. And the kids love it the fact that you can get this thing fish tailing with the tap of the gas pedal watch out for mailboxes though

Old 01-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Ice is Ice and Snow is Snow, it all has to do with what kind of tires you have on your truck.

Before I lifted my truck, I ran Michelin LTX M/S tires and slid all over the road sometimes. Those tires never liked the slightest bit of mud or anything that wasn't normal road.

After I lifted my truck, I went with BFG All-Terrains and to this very day, I've never gotten stuck anywhere and I can't remember slipping and sliding in the snow or rain since having BFGs. Ice is a different story, but I'd be willing to bet they'd do better than a highway tread tire.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:25 AM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Ice performance only comes with studs or chains. You need something to bite into it and with 8K lbs the X does that nicely. In snow, an M/S rated tire will work wonders. I have Goodyear Silent Armors and they are just under M/S rating and work great.

UrbanXX - just be safe on ice, especially if your not used to it.

Here is what you should expect from the appropriately matched tires:

Ice studs -bite
Snow rated -grab or push aside
Mud rated -grab/paddle
Highway -quiet high mileage (and none of the above)

Old 01-14-2011, 01:19 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have off road tires, and they did pretty well for me, especially as wide as they are. 4wd, an inch thick of wide treads, and I was moving.

It's pretty hilly around these parts. I was in a line of traffic behind the little minivan that could. Some guy came up behind me, and came to a stop. we had to occasionally stop for the little minivan that could. Eventually the little minivan did, and I made it over the top. As I'm heading down, I noticed that little car behind me was no longer behind me. Apparently he didn't make it up the hill. It was solid ice though, I barely applied the accelerator and spun, and eventually that's how I made it up the hill, controlled spinning of the tires.

Just be careful, and remember, just because you can go, doens't mean you can stop.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:25 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordboy67
I agree with the tires making the difference, however, on ice no matter how good a tire you have, it will not start or stop anywhere near optimally. On a similar note, ieathybrids...how do you like the Duratracs on your truck, do they "wander" like I have heard with these heavy trucks, and how do they hold up towing (if you have)? Thanks.
Their amazing in snow and mud.. But anything other then that, their terrible. Honestly with how much they cost ($1350 for 4) i wouldnt buy them again. I tow anywhere from 7k-8k daily and 10k-12k once a week and they squat under load. They dont hold up to towing and they have soft side walls. Also, ive rotated them when recommended. Tires have about 20k on them and deff need replacing.. Hope this helps

Alaskanex, how to you like the copper MS studded? Ive heard amazing things about those tires and i was thinking about getting them as my next set or BFG a/t. But i dont know those can be studded.

Quick Reply: Excursion on frozen snow