General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

And now an airline story that's actually positive

Old 01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up And now an airline story that's actually positive

Southwest pilot holds plane for murdered victims family.

This is directly from the site-

It’s easy to be an airline industry critic in an era of “no waivers, no favors” and fees on top of fees. It’s easy to paint airlines as heartless corporations that treat us like self-loading cargo.
But every now and then, you hear a story that turns you into an adoring fan. Like Nancy’s story.

Before I continue, I should mention a few things: Nancy is a faithful reader of this site, and I agreed to use only her first name because of the brutal nature of the crime and the age of the victim. Second, I’m not an emotional, John Boehner-type, but I can’t read her story without getting a little teary.

So you’ve been warned: Grab a tissue.
Last night, my husband and I got the tragic news that our three-year-old grandson in Denver had been murdered by our daughter’s live-in boyfriend.

He is being taken off life support tonight at 9 o’clock and his parents have opted for organ donation, which will take place immediately. Over 25 people will receive his gift tonight and many lives will be saved.

This morning, after only a couple hours sleep, my husband and I began to make all arrangements to get him to Denver to be with our daughter. He is currently on business in LA and is flying Southwest.

While his employer, Northrop Grumman, made arrangements to get his ticket changed so he could get to Tucson today (which he had to do in order to not spend any extra money) I called Southwest to arrange his flight from Tucson to Denver so he would be stepping off one plane and getting on another.

He has several free flights with them so I couldn’t really do it on the website. The ticketing agent was holding back tears throughout the call. I’m actually her step-mother and it’s much more important for my husband to be there than for me to be there.

In LAX, the lines to both check a bag and get through security were exceptional. He got to the airport two hours early and was still late getting to his plane.

Every step of the way, he’s on the verge of tears and trying to get assistance from both TSA and Southwest employees to get to his plane on time.

According to him, everyone he talked to couldn’t have cared less. When he was done with security, he grabbed his computer bag, shoes and belt and ran to his terminal in his stocking feet.

When he got there, the pilot of his plane and the ticketing agent both said, “Are you Mark? We held the plane for you and we’re so sorry about the loss of your grandson.”

The pilot held the plane that was supposed to take off at 11:50 until 12:02 when my husband got there.

As my husband walked down the Jetway with the pilot, he said, “I can’t thank you enough for this.”

The pilot responded with, “They can’t go anywhere without me and I wasn’t going anywhere without you. Now relax. We’ll get you there. And again, I’m so sorry.”

My husband was able to take his first deep breath of the day.

I don’t know any other airline that would have done this.
The editor goes on to say-

"I’m speechless. Twelve minutes may not sound like a lot to you or me, but every second counts when you’re an airline. Southwest can turn an entire plane around in about 20 minutes, so 12 minutes is half an eternity."

"I shared Nancy’s story with Southwest, and a representative said the airline was “proud” of the way the pilot had held the flight. Again, most airlines would punish an employee who holds up the line for any reason."

Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great story.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:26 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Great find and thanks for sharing. Nice to see that some people are still human beings and care about others. That pilot deserves recognition and Southwest deserves Kudos for supporting his decision rather than chastizing him.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
A very sad story indeed with a positive note. Kudos to SW airlines and a pilot with some brass in his drawers.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:26 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being in the airline industry this means more than you think. Southwest is RUTHLESS for the on time departure or shall I say more ruthless than the rest. This Skipper was putting his job on the line for a fellow human being. Jeopardising his career. How many airlines are hiring pilots these days?

I have heard that the pilot wishes to remain anonymous to the public. Couple that with his actions and he has earned my respect.