6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Exhaust in Cab?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:57 PM
BTyner41
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust in Cab?

Recently I have been smelling exhaust fumes in the cab of my truck when at a stoplight or parked in the driveway. When driving, the smell tends to go away. This occurs with the windows up and the climate control on auto. I can also smell this when I shut down the truck and exit. Has anyone else come across this situation? I am looking for anything that may be causing this. Hoping not to have to take it to the dealer.

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
11350KINGRANCH
Senior User
Put the climate control on recirculate and see if that makes a difference? I catch a faint exhaust smell every once in a while if the wind is just right and I do not have the climate control on recirculate.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:31 PM
pbruckne
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Bryan,

Sorry to say, but you're probably going to need to get that looked at by the dealer. Off-the-cuff guess, marmon flanges on the up-pipes that feed the turbo, egr feed tube or possibly exhaust manifold sealing at the head. These are high pressure joints, and could allow small amounts of leakage that would correlate with what you're observing. Nothing serious mind you for the most part, but needs to be looked at nonetheless.

-Paul

Old 01-18-2011, 11:33 AM
GRANTSBPACKING
New User
I took my truck in for its first service at the dealer since they had offered the first oil change and urea fill at no charge. I noticed just what you are talking about on the drive home and decided to investigate once I made it in my garage. Low and behold, my oil fill cap was not tightened completely, pretty much just sitting there, and it was emitting a small stream of exhaust under the hood that I believe was getting sucked into the cab. Thanks dealer, I will handle my own oil changes and standard service from now on. (I have to anyways, egr delete). Not saying this is your problem, but worth checking. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 PM
BTyner41
Senior User
Thanks Paul that I was thinking that it might have something with the connections at the turbo as on my '04 I had to tighten soon after purchase. I will take to the dealer and see what they say this week.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Fat_Tire
Senior User
Did you sort this out? I just started having the same issue.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:29 AM
f350newb
New User
I have had this problem as well and took it to the dealer today. They could not find a reason. It has gotten so bad that it gives me a headache a couple of times. Im thinking that they left the cap loose but wont admit it, Guess I will wait and see if it does it again.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Fat_Tire
Senior User
Originally Posted by f350newb
I have had this problem as well and took it to the dealer today. They could not find a reason. It has gotten so bad that it gives me a headache a couple of times. Im thinking that they left the cap loose but wont admit it, Guess I will wait and see if it does it again.
I wonder if they checked the connection of the exhaust pressure sensor. This seems to be the leak that most of us have been having. Crawl under your truck from the passenger side just behind the front right tire and follow the exhaust tube straight up. At the very top you will see the exhaust pressure sensor tube and the nut that connects to the exhaust down pipe. If you lean up on a shoulder you might be able to get your finger on it. Look for soot around the connection. Many have reported the nut completely loose. Mine was... it wasn't even connected... I could spin the nut with my finger. If that is where its leaking you can tighten it yourself. Its tough to reach. You might have to pull off the tire and remove the splash cover to get a little more room to reach it. Or... take it back to the dealer and let them futz with it. Somewhere here or on one of the other forums is a pic of the connection.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Fat_Tire
Senior User
Supposedly there was a TSB about that particular leak... 11-6-22 dated June 27, 2011.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I re-checked mine last Saturday and found it still tightened properly. It is a LOOOOONG reach up in there but like others have said, it can be done pretty easily. The nut can be tightened with a 5/8ths wrench.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:02 PM
zonedar
Junior User
I'm going to check my oil cap as I've had this problem too. However I seem to notice it when the truck is in the exhaust cleaning cycle and am at a stop light.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Fat_Tire
Supposedly there was a TSB about that particular leak... 11-6-22 dated June 27, 2011.
Just to bring back up

Old 11-29-2011, 06:57 PM
SCORPIO26
New User
Mine just started to do this a week or so ago, always during a regen. In fact, its one way I can tell if the truck is doing a regen in traffic. I'm going to take it to the dealer for a check and probablly coolant test soon.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:23 PM
zonedar
Junior User
Thanks for this thread. Mine was loose and I was able to get it tightened up this morning. Long reach even for my long ams. Knew I was due for a regen. Took it out and no fumes.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:55 PM
MJZ
New User
Holy mackerel, I need about 6" more length of arm. How did you get a wrench on this? Other than removing the wheel and liner, I don't see how you can tighten this, is there a trick I'm not coming up with?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust in Cab?