1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LED Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Showpanther
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Taillights

Is there something special you have to do to wire up LED taillights? I tried one of mine back before ( Long before ) I was ready to install them. I just touched the wires to a battery and it didn't work. Or did I buy a bad light?
Thanks

Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Michigan Rick
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have the one with 50 bulbs in it? Or the one that screws in like a 1157 but has 8 bulbs?

My truck needed a LED specific flasher with a ground wire on it to work with the 50? bulb model. I'd recommend it for anyone running stock taillights on their panel.......whale of a difference!

Michigan Rick

Old 01-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Never have heard of a bad LED bulb but I guess there could be. I have bought many for the different motorcycles I've had and you can check them by just touching the wires to the battery. Also bought a bunch of ground effects LED lights for the wifes bike and checked them with a 9 volt transistor battery as I installed them to make sure I had them where I wanted them before wiring them all together. Now if its a turn signal sometimes you have to buy the special flasher as Rick said above. I have read several post about that subject here.
EDIT: After rereading your post are you sure that 1 wire is hot and 1 ground or are both hot and you have a case ground? What all is the light suppose to do? Brake light? tail light? turn signal?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
led

I got my lights from ebay [closer to whole sale] is the seller. I needed a led flasher and a little black thing . I don't remember what they called it but it on there site. AND like he said GOOD GROUND.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
LEDs are polarized...you can't just touch the leads to either the + or - terminals as you can an incandescent bulb. Make sure that you have the polarity correct and try the LED light again. Another consideration when using LED lights is the low current draw...the flasher for the turn signals is designed to operate with the current level drawn by an incandescent bulb, with an LED light in the circuit the current draw is too low to activate the flasher. This used to be a problem but now various vendors offer an electronic "flasher" to replace the old bi-metal reed style unit that came in most all vehicles prior to the models that came from the factory with OEM LEd lighting.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 AM
9teen56f100
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought the LED lens kit from Mid-fifty, just plugged them into the socket and I was good to go. The are extremely bright.
brian...

Old 01-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Showpanther
Senior User
Thanks everyone.
I will try them again on the truck, now that I have one to put them on. Waiting on brackets and wire loom from mid fifty.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:44 PM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Just curious... do they make 6 volt LEDs?

Old 01-13-2011, 03:11 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
The voltage required to activate an LED is very low...take a look at all the LED flashlights on the market today that operate on just a single AA or AAA battery. Those are operating on 1.5 volts. No problem with a 6 volt LED...

Old 01-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
LEDs are polarized...you can't just touch the leads to either the + or - terminals as you can an incandescent bulb. Make sure that you have the polarity correct and try the LED light again. Another consideration when using LED lights is the low current draw...the flasher for the turn signals is designed to operate with the current level drawn by an incandescent bulb, with an LED light in the circuit the current draw is too low to activate the flasher. This used to be a problem but now various vendors offer an electronic "flasher" to replace the old bi-metal reed style unit that came in most all vehicles prior to the models that came from the factory with OEM LEd lighting.
What he said!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:06 PM
homade
Posting Guru
HOTRODSCLASSICTRUCKPARTS, has the flasher you need because I had the same problem when I went LED and he got me one, Garry

Old 01-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
LEDs are polarized...you can't just touch the leads to either the + or - terminals as you can an incandescent bulb. Make sure that you have the polarity correct and try the LED light again.
Thanks for pointing that out CharlieLed. I ment to say that in my original post and got off on a different tangent..... I'm betting thats the OP problem. Just reversed polarity.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 AM
snook715
Senior User
The ground for my LED tails are the bolts that attach to the brackets. Have you tried to connect a ground wire to the bolts and the wires out the back to power? If your brackets are the same you may need to take off some powdercoat to get a good connection.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:49 PM
SteveWatson
New User
LED Taillights

A few inputs on your posts:

Very few LED taillights case ground (I suppose there are a few but I've yet to see one in nearly 25 years). The replacement bulbs do because they are wired like the incandescent bulb that they are replacing.

The low amperage draw does affect turn signals (unless you are still running bulbs up front, in which case you probably won't have an issue) but shouldn't affect the light from coming on in a bench test. If you have a TS problem, either an LED flasher (there are lots of different types of these, too, and THEY DO NOT ALL DO THE JOB AS CLAIMED) or dummy loads should solve the problem.

No mention of the manufacturer or instructions or where you got the light - makes a lot of difference. I know that we all want to save a buck but the old adage about getting what you pay for often is valid. There are bad LED's, especially if you bought it used. A cheap LED light hooked up backwards can be permanently fried. Yes, LED's are polarity dependent.

Very few automotive LED's are made for 6 volt. The market isn't large enough to justify. Yes a single LED is a 1.2 volt device but what an array of LED's goes into (like a tiallight) will affect the design for that specific application. So you can't use a 12 volt light on a 6-volt system and have it work right. You could conceivably modify the light for 6 volts but you had best know what you're doing. It's not that straight forward. We carry a 6-to-12 volt converter so that you 6-volt guys can run a 12 volt LED 3rd brake light, for example.

Here at Watson's StreetWorks we've been making LED taillights for a couple of decades, now, and specifically for the older car/truck market - streetrods. You can find us with a quick google. I invite any of you that have questions about LED's to give us a call - no matter whether you are buying or trying to solve an existing question or just curious. We like to help.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:08 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For all things "light emitting diodes" go to "superbrightleds.com. They have everything you need fir the home, security or automotive/truck. I recently replaced all my interior lights inside my Lincoln Continental with blue leds and my work truck with a white dome light and red leds for the doors. When the doors are open, oncoming traffic sees a bright red light in my door.

Quick Reply: LED Taillights