EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

EcoBoost upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
You can thank the owners of 6.0L PSD's and turbocharged SHO's that have be defrauding Ford through warranty claims on modified vehicles for this. I'm surprised that they didn't lock down ALL of them PCM's across the board.
JL

I thank them all the time for getting the nasty rumor going about how the 6.0 is a crap engine when it really isn't.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 PM
amadas350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The reliability of the later 6.0 L engines has been excellent. The 2006 model year 6.0L engines had the lowest rate of warranty claims across the board for Ford Motor Company when compared to all of Ford's gas and diesel engines."

Ford Power Stroke engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yes the 6.0 has a bad rep, but i can say this. i'd rather have my 6.0 than my old 7.3(which to many ''non diesel owners'' was the best engine/truck combo)

Old 02-10-2011, 11:17 AM
mikerichmon
Freshman User
My 6.0 has 80k miles on it and never been in the shop. Runs as good as the day i bought it. My 7.3 was sold with 150k on it and only replced the fuel and water pump. But, my 6.0 will run circles around the 7.3

Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OP Title....
ECOBOOST UPGRADES
JL

Old 02-10-2011, 11:28 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD
I cant wait to see what the aftermarket can provide for the ecoboost.

Being a turbo engine, i would be willing to bet that there is some serious power to be had from custom engine tuning, intercoolers, exhaust.

Maybe north of 400 hp and near 500 ft lb?

Could be interesting.

What kind of gains have they gotten out of the SHO?
Let's get back on track here with the original post.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:13 PM
austincobra
New User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Let's get back on track here with the original post.
Amen brother!

Even if Ford/Bosch has locked down the control module (having spent 25 years in the computer biz, I can promise you that wont last long) with an intercooler(s) upgrade partnered with air flow/plumbing upgrades you'll see significant gains without ever touching the computer or internals.

Air temp post-compression is one of the main issues with turbos. Upgrade to a more efficient/larger intercooler and you'll inject a denser air/fuel charge into the cylinders and produce more power, without ever needing to increase boost, OR tweak the control module.

I'll have to get up to the local Ford dealer and take a peak at the plumbing under the hood to get a sense of what is possible. Unless someone knows where I can find some good pics of the current plumbing layout????

Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by austincobra
Amen brother!

Even if Ford/Bosch has locked down the control module (having spent 25 years in the computer biz, I can promise you that wont last long) with an intercooler(s) upgrade partnered with air flow/plumbing upgrades you'll see significant gains without ever touching the computer or internals.

Air temp post-compression is one of the main issues with turbos. Upgrade to a more efficient/larger intercooler and you'll inject a denser air/fuel charge into the cylinders and produce more power, without ever needing to increase boost, OR tweak the control module.

I'll have to get up to the local Ford dealer and take a peak at the plumbing under the hood to get a sense of what is possible. Unless someone knows where I can find some good pics of the current plumbing layout????
I never liked the term intercooler. I think it would be more appropiate to use the phrase post-cooler(just doesn't sound hip). When I think of intercooler, I think of the setup on planes.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 PM
austincobra
New User
Yeah, not sure where that term came from. But you have a point.

On the plumbing issue (never forget an engine is a air pump), take a look at what they did on the Baja truck. The use of this aluminum plumbing is popular in the after market segment to smooth out and increase airflow.

Here is the link, in case the image is too large or has an issue.
http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content...images_007.jpg

Old 02-10-2011, 10:48 PM
81beast
Junior User
The stock intercooler tubing looked fairly unrestrictive when I looked at one at the dealership. I'm sure that there is a bottleneck somewhere, though. I will look mine over pretty well when it is delivered. Another thing i noticed was that the intercooler will not have much air drawn through it from the cooling fans. It sits at a slightly downward facing angle and is spaced away from the radiator as well. One performance increase could be achieved by placing a small cooling fan directly on the intercooler which would probably help bring down aircharge temps a lot at lower vehicle speeds.

The baja truck looks like it has a small pusher fan on a very thick intercooler (thicker than the production unit?) and the turbos mounted above the intake manifold? Both would necessitate the use of custom tubing for both hot and cold sides of the turbos. I wonder how much more power the EB Baja truck was making...

Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 PM
81beast
Junior User
Uh, I found a bigger picture where I could see that the turbos are not above the intake. What sense would that make anyways. But, the air filter location is obviously different than production trucks. Also upon closer inspection, the intercooler looks to be thicker because of the fan shroud.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:03 AM
austincobra
New User
Yeah I believe those are the air filter tubes coming down from the top of the motor to the turbos. Then you can see the hot side plumbing come back up and over to the front into the intercooler, with the larger tubing going into the throttle body.

One of the things I've noticed on the production unit is the placement of the airbox on the right. While I see what you're saying about the smooth tubing, I'm not digging how the right side turbo pipe make a big u-turn.

I think a fantastic mod, from both a cosmetic and functional perspective, would be to center a larger airbox (left to right) between motor and the radiator support. You could then install a modified hood for both functional ram air and a pretty awesome look.

Here's one, but imagine a larger single slot in the front.

Like this mustang hood.

I'll have to head down to the Ford dealership and measure the distance between the motor and the fuse box. If the space is not large enough, maybe we could relocate the fuse box to the original airbox location.

I'm liking where this is going!

Old 02-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster

This is fine in theory, but the PCM calculates and knows the realtime output of the engine, and when it exceeds the predefined power/torque levels, it will limit that power via spark retard, dumping boost via the bypass,etc.
If you want more power-you'll have to tamper with the PCM.
JL

Old 02-11-2011, 11:25 AM
austincobra
New User
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
This is fine in theory, but the PCM calculates and knows the realtime output of the engine, and when it exceeds the predefined power/torque levels, it will limit that power via spark retard, dumping boost via the bypass,etc.
If you want more power-you'll have to tamper with the PCM.
JL
Interesting point Johny. I was wondering if the PCM had the ability so sense power output. So the PCM has sensors that actually measure torque levels? Any details on how they accomplish this? Is the sensor(s) in the transmission or at the flywheel? I've seen the huge, massively expensive dynamometers shops use to measure horse power and torque. Just from a technical perspective, it would be awesome to understand how Ford is stuffing such tech under the hood of a truck.

My brother inlaw is a former Ford Master mechanic (now working on Jags). I'll have to hit him up for some details.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Interesting point Johny. I was wondering if the PCM had the ability so sense power output. So the PCM has sensors that actually measure torque levels? Any details on how they accomplish this? Is the sensor(s) in the transmission or at the flywheel? I've seen the huge, massively expensive dynamometers shops use to measure horse power and torque. Just from a technical perspective, it would be awesome to understand how Ford is stuffing such tech under the hood of a truck.

My brother inlaw is a former Ford Master mechanic (now working on Jags). I'll have to hit him up for some details.
The PCM knows airflow via the MAF. It knows engine displacement.It knows fuel flow. I knows MAP. Engineering spends THOUSANDS of hours on the dyno testing to calibrate the PCM for that particular combination of engine, trans, driveline, etc, etc. This allows them to write the PCM's programming so it can calculate approximate engine power and torque and use these calculations for torque limitation to preserve the life of the trans and driveline components.
It doesn't need a "sensor" to do this.
JL

Old 02-11-2011, 03:29 PM
austincobra
New User
Well, i guess that blows K&N and Flowmaster benefits/selling point right out of the water. Boy are they going to be P_SSED!

NEVER MIND FELLAS! Looks like Johny and Ford are laughing all the way to the warranty department.