1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dash bezel questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:19 AM
rdegroff
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash bezel questions

Just wondering if anyone has come across an '81 Ranger/XLT/Lariat gauge bezel from a non-AC truck? I found a tach gauge cluster on ebay and got what I consider to be an excellent deal on it, would like to find a woodgrained gauge bezel to surround it, also a woodgrained radio/heater control bezel. Another question I have is how many shop manuals there are for the '81 F150, and their titles? Thank you for your help in finding the answers to these questions!

Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The gauge cluster bezels are the same from 1980-1984. The radio bezels are what's different, only because of the trim level names.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 AM
dohc_chump
This space for rent...
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't forget the diesel and fog light cluster bezels

Old 01-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,673 Likes on 1,352 Posts
A high level trim truck with no A/C might be hard to find.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
The gauge cluster bezels are the same from 1980-1984. The radio bezels are what's different, only because of the trim level names.
Now Shaun, I'd think you would know better. The 80 gauge cluster bezel is different, due to the upper row of lights.

On the other hand, the woodgrain/pretend chrome trim guage cluster was available without the A/C vents in it. I have one here that came out of my 80. Only one issue, dealer added A/C, so they cut holes in it for the A/C vents....
The radio/HVAC bezel is no different between A/C and non A/C. There are differences for various radio options though.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 PM
rdegroff
Freshman User
My Reply

I figured that it would probably be a bit tough to find a woodgrained gauge bezel without A/C, but I am up to the challenge. (also, I'm a low-budget (i.e. cheap)) hobbyist, so it may take some time. It seems easier to do that than to try to woodgrain my existing one.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Yeah, they exist, but are kinda rare. I think the ranger trim (80-81) or XL (82-86) were the lowest trim levels to get a woodgrain dash. 85-86 typically had a different woodgrain pattern.
It's a bit rare to see the mid-level trim without A/C in the southern 1/2 of the country.

When looking, keep in mind that 1980 has a different layout for the upper row of warning lights. The seatbelt/brake lights swapped places with the turn indicators for 81-86, and the high beam indicator was dramatically dimmed as well. The 80 HB indicator will blind you at night.......
I put an 85 cluster in my truck, along with an 81 gauge bezel. I intended to grab the 85 bezel, since I have a matching radio bezel with the newer woodgrain and single rectangle opening for installing later style radios, but I had brain fade and forgot it......
Using an 81+ cluster in an 80 requires extensive rewiring. Took at least 30 seconds to complete........ (Thanks ri truck guy!)

Old 01-10-2011, 04:42 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
When looking, keep in mind that 1980 has a different layout for the upper row of warning lights. The seatbelt/brake lights swapped places with the turn indicators for 81-86, and the high beam indicator was dramatically dimmed as well. The 80 HB indicator will blind you at night......
I never knew that the "HIGH BEAM" light indicator was brighter on the 1980 models.

But I wonder why Ford swapped the seat belt and brake lights with the turn signal indicators? From the driver's seat in my '85, my steering wheel rim is right in front of both turn signal lights. I have caught myself driving along with my turn signal still blinking a few times because I couldn't see that the turn signal light was still on. The steering wheel blocked it from immediate view.

The light arrangement made better sense on the 1980 models, in my opinion.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
I never knew that the "HIGH BEAM" light indicator was brighter on the 1980 models.

But I wonder why Ford swapped the seat belt and brake lights with the turn signal indicators? From the driver's seat in my '85, my steering wheel rim is right in front of both turn signal lights. I have caught myself driving along with my turn signal still blinking a few times because I couldn't see that the turn signal light was still on. The steering wheel blocked it from immediate view.

The light arrangement made better sense on the 1980 models, in my opinion.
The "High Beam" light was just a blue lens, with the high beam written in black. (like the brake/seatbelt warning lights) It would really blind a driver while running the high beams. In 81, they made it black with the indicator emblem all that passed light.

As for the turn indicators & seatbelt/brake warning lights moving, no clue. But, you're right, the wheel rim can block seeing the turn idicators on the newer ones. I don't think there was anyway a person could miss seeing the brake warning light, as bright as it is, but that *might* be the excuse....

Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Now Shaun, I'd think you would know better. The 80 gauge cluster bezel is different, due to the upper row of lights.
That's what I get for hurrying. I only thought about the wood grain. lol.

But yes, everybody here has been correct. I have a non A/C bezel in my truck from a 1982 XL trim truck. I have seen a few non A/C high trim trucks, but as it's been said, it's pretty rare. The ones you'll continuously find will be the black base trim bezels.

Rogue, don't remind me about the bezel differences. I still have to figure out whether or not the lights in the F100 are correct because of the 82 cluster. lol.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:05 PM
ebodell
Senior User
I am not sure about 1981 but in 1983 there were four shop manuals:

Engine
Engine/Emissions Diagnosis
Pre-Delivery Lubrication Maintenance
Body, Chassis, Electrical

My Dad had and '83 F250 and always ordered the factory manuals. He sent them to me when i bought my '85 F150. Not everything is the same but they do help out quite a bit.

Erik

1985 F150
300-6
4spd OD trans

Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 AM
rdegroff
Freshman User
Thank you all very much for your input, I am glad I joined this forum. I wonder also, is the factory tach dash a "plug-and-play"? It appears to me that it may be, I will find out soon when mine arrives. My truck is an 81 Custom, complete with an AM radio...

Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
If your truck has an oil pressure guage and amp meter, the tach/trip meter cluster will plug and play. If you have idiot lights it won't, and wiring is required.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
What he said. Just be sure to check the color of the printed circuit board on the back. 1980 = green, 81-86 = red. As mentioned before, they are a bit different, but with the right bezel and wire repinning, they can be interchanged.

If your truck has oil/alt lights, the gauge cluster is not compatible.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 PM
rdegroff
Freshman User
Wunnerful, wunnerful! My truck has the gauge package, so I will wait a little more excitedly for the tach cluster to arrive (ETA Friday after work!). Thank you for the info. Reading the posts in this thread makes me wish I had the '80 bright light indicator- from my vantage point, the one in my '81 is nonexistant unless I scrunch down in the seat...

Quick Reply: Dash bezel questions