Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Intake Mod V2.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:16 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Mod V2.1

So i got tired of the UFO can. My intake plenum will be in soon but i wanted to try out the AEM dryflow filter i got in today lol. Just cant wait. So here is the basics. 5"-4" flexible PVC coupling. 90Deg elbow with the male and female sides. And tubing from my other setup. This is just a mockup or Cobbled together like lxcam says haha. Had i only known, i would have just done it this way and not ordered a plenum lmao. But here is the good part.....WOW, did this Mod ever make me get a grin. The drive down the driveway was normal but i can hear more throat from the engine bay. Going up my first hill i just puttered up and then back down. When i hit the highway i thought well lets see. So i gave it the floor, DAMN, it ripped both loose and i was spinning in third before i knew it hahaha. Wow for 21 dollars of "mock-up" supplies and my 60 dollar filter, it was the best fun i have had. I had better take it easy or i will be out of a set of tires in a week. lmfao. Enjoy fellas. Ill post a burnout soon woohoo. I clouded an intersection waiting for a red light and i am sure that people thought my truck was on fire hahaha. AWESOME!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribing, can't wait to see how it looks with the plenum.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:57 PM
cpetersen
Senior User
will the pvc coupling work?

Old 01-09-2011, 08:59 PM
typefour
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cpetersen
will the pvc coupling work?
For a while, they dont like heat for long.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:08 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
this one is rated at 275 degrees and with my engine at full temp it hasnt hit 150. I guess if i idled for an hour or two it would heat up but with the filter where it is, it pulls true cold air when moving with the modification to the grill and rad support. That little laser temp reader i got for christmas is awesome. The intake manifold heats up good but not right at the neck, it stays pretty cool relatively speaking. Overall i expect it to last as long as i need it to but that should be no more than two weeks.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 PM
cpetersen
Senior User
dam i was hopin i could just do that lol

Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
if you got a 5" ABS plastic elbow you could slot the base in four places and use a hose clamp to secure it. I did this because it is flexible, works pretty good. If it melts tomorrow i will let you know hahaha. Should be fine though.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 AM
roy.prue
Junior User
Looks good! Iv been wondering if a plenum for a carb would work, cant wait to see it finished!

Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks good wreckingball, but if you just got a turbo you could go a lot faster

Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
nah, not on this engine. My next will definitely be a turbo build up 5.9 or a dave style 6.9. This engine still has lots of life but i am afraid a turbo would kill it.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why? How many miles?

Old 01-10-2011, 01:18 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Well honestly i think i may have oil leaking from the headgasket? i dont know if thats possible but al around the seal it seems to seep oil. I still havent done the oil pan replacement but need to before i jump to conclusions. I would just hate to install a turbo on it just to have it grenade or blow head gaskets. Not that it would be terrible to replace or even expensive, just a lot of time. It has about 85K on it right now. i know its low but i am just not sure. There is a banks old style turbo at the JY right now that is 100, i am getting it on friday. Intent is to resell as long as it checks out but one never knows.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:50 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by wreckinball
but with the filter where it is, it pulls true cold air when moving with the modification to the grill and rad support.
What modification would that be, did you cut a giant hole in the rad support? And it ain't really a true cold air, as it's still exposed to the heated air around the engine... But, can you extend its piping some so it puts the filter closer to the battery and the rad support? Also can you build a box of some sort around the filter to force it to draw air from the front and towards the battery side, and prevent hot air from the radiator and engine to be drawn in?

Old 01-10-2011, 04:10 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
oh jeez i knew it, as stated in the first post it is the mockup, just for fun kind of thing till the plenum gets in. Yes it is a cut in the rad support and the grill is cut as well. i dont have any current pics but i cut out the rectangles so the part that slopes in is gone. Yes i will box it in, yes it will be extended about 8 inches, yes yes and yes. lmao. I knew you'd eat it up. hahaha

Old 01-10-2011, 04:18 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Lol, I'm only throwing ideas our way man, I'd hate to see ya put the effort in and do something permanent then realize it could have been done better but you just didn't think of it at the time (it's one helluva stupid feeling, trust me, I know it a bit too well).

Quick Reply: Intake Mod V2.1