1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Soon shall be looking for a 5.4L for my 98 Eddie 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:39 PM
welbo97
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wonder what challenges you will face by trying to put a '99 engine into a '98 body. Physically I'm sure it will fit. But what about the PCM. If the engine produces a different HP, surely there are differences in the sensors and fuel flow. Will the wiring harness even plug in?
I ask because I am about to do the same to my '97 and would love to get a PI engine into it. I would love even more to get a 3V into it, but in all my readings on how troublesome that would be, have given up on the idea.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If there is a Pick-N-Pull in your area you should go there and explore a bit. At my local yard there was a 04 police car that was hit hard in the rear and the engine was the PI
4.6, a drop in for a 4.6 truck. My yard gets a couple dozen PIs per year and most are wrecks so you can be fairly certain the engine is still good. I have also seen a few with pretty fresh Jasper Reman engines and transmissions in them as that is what most of the local departments use, very desireable to someone in need.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Ok, something has been bothering me about my trucks engine.

When the engine dead we put a good amount of oil in and shot some down a few of the plugs. Then took my friends early 90's late 80's Bronco (which towed me home it was one of those huge Broncos). Anyway, we tried jumping her and she didn't start no crank no clicking from the starter that I remember, but I do know she wouldn't even attempt to turn over.

We manual turned the crank shaft pulley with a 1/2 breaker bar easly but we could get her to almost fully rotate before we hit a bad spot and it was a little ruff to get it passed that post.

Now my question is why wouldn't it start if we could get it to rotate manually but not when the key? There was power all the bells and whistles came on besides the sweet sound of the 98 5.4 roaring to life.

Should I get the shop that I am thinking about using to look at my engine first before I have them insert another engine or should I just kiss this engine good bye?

This has been hard since I really love this truch and like almost every ones else has fallen on hard times. Just wondering what you guys think.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:25 PM
2trux
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like your engine is not seized. I would look at why it's not cranking. It could be there is nothing wrong with the motor, and some electrical issue is causing the problem.
I would check for voltage on the starter side of the solenoid and at the starter. If there is power you may have a bad starter. You can probably have the local parts place check it.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 2trux
Sounds like your engine is not seized. I would look at why it's not cranking. It could be there is nothing wrong with the motor, and some electrical issue is causing the problem.

I would check for voltage on the starter side of the solenoid and at the starter. If there is power you may have a bad starter. You can probably have the local parts place check it.
See and that is what I was thinking. I reread my last post. I left out the fact that the oil dip stick was bone dry before oil was put in. But I did state this in my earlier post. I just that it was funny that after all that it still didn't start up or even at least make an attempt. When I got the foot and a half of snow from around her before this next storm hits and take a gander at the starter. Glad I also know someone with a scanner with tones of bells and whistles. Will late every one know when I get the chance and how the out come was. Any one else have a take on this?

Old 02-05-2011, 08:34 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Man_tlac83
When the engine dead we put a good amount of oil in and shot some down a few of the plugs.

<snip>

We manual turned the crank shaft pulley with a 1/2 breaker bar easly but we could get her to almost fully rotate before we hit a bad spot and it was a little ruff to get it passed that post.
Might be you shot too much oil down one of those plug holes. When you tried to turn it with the breaker bar it might have hydraulicaly locked up.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by pdqford
Might be you shot too much oil down one of those plug holes. When you tried to turn it with the breaker bar it might have hydraulicaly locked up.
Would 1-2 drops down 4 of the plug holes in a Z-style formation really do that? Just asking since it was my first time trying. My friend's dad and him had a shop up til 98 when his dad retired and now he just does it on the side for extra money.

We did try and jump her after we first put the oil in the engine. Then manually cranked the shaft. After that she still didn't start with the turn of the key, thats when we took the oil down the plugs step.

Now " hydraulicaly locked up" is there a way to fix that or for a simpler mind unlock it? Or once it gets like that am I totally screwed?

If I can keep the original engine that would so make my year, damn that past 2 years,lol.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
I don't want to rain on your wishful thinking but as I read the thread, the engine was run out of oil. If you had the plugs out when turning by hand it should feel the same as you spin it over. If you hit a "rough patch" that required more effort, that is a spun bearing, most likely caused by low oil.

I admire your desire to get it started. I think it will only serve to confirm the engine is toast though.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Big Greenie
I don't want to rain on your wishful thinking but as I read the thread, the engine was run out of oil. If you had the plugs out when turning by hand it should feel the same as you spin it over. If you hit a "rough patch" that required more effort, that is a spun bearing, most likely caused by low oil.

I admire your desire to get it started. I think it will only serve to confirm the engine is toast though.
Yes,I am wishing hard and I know it! Ok, good to know thanks Big Greenie. I not the type that just gives up and keep going til I turn blue, green and maybe even yellow in the face. It hurts to hear it but it is good to hear it. That is what my friend said that the engine is toast, not that I didn't believe him, since this man has been spot on with all my issues. I just didn't want to believe him or give up. Got to know when to walk away right.

I just can't wait anymore to feel the push and loud roar of a 5.4 instead of the pull of the bus and the sound of loud people on the bus sitting next to one another yelling like the other person is down a darn hall.

As much as I would love to be the one to put another engine in not just cause I like the feel of a job well done, but just really don't like folks I don't know touching her. But my friend gave me a few places that I hope will let me watch or maybe even get my hands in ,doubt it but there goes that wishful thinking again,lol.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
So what do you guys think about a 00 5.4 from the E-Series? How much trouble am I looking to get into and what will need to be swapped along with the engine? I looked theough the engine swap section a little with no real lucky hoping maybe someone knows a good link or something. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Man_tlac83
So what do you guys think about a 00 5.4 from the E-Series? How much trouble am I looking to get into and what will need to be swapped along with the engine? I looked theough the engine swap section a little with no real lucky hoping maybe someone knows a good link or something. Thanks!

Check out this thread. It's not exactly the same as what you want but should be very informative.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ildthread.html

Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Post New Update

Just wanted to keep every one abreast to what is going on. I have found plenty of engines but not all worth my time.

Got the engine out of my truck, she wasn't locked up at all she seemed to have actually rotated better once she was out. Found out my starter was dead, so one reason she didn't start, not sure why I didn't think of replacing or at least checking that. My buddy has the OBD II. Anyway...back to the engines that was found for her.

One was right up the street from where my truck was being stored, the engine was perfect. Crate motor only had 45k on it, had paper work and all. But owner of shop told employees sale then when I got the money said do not sale. he found a truck to put it in, turns out they cut the harness to the 5.4 that was in the van they took the engine out of and when they got the engine into the f 150. They learned that it had a 4.6 and they didn't have the harnesses they need so truck would not start,lol.

Another one had the water pump jammed all into the engine. So you know that was out.
Then there was one that sat out side no over no nothing to protect it from the elements (very smart) so I by passed that one.

Finally have an engine with about 75k on her and a tranny with about 65k. So I believe I should be pretty good right now.

I have purchased the water pump, gold starter, and double platinum plugs all about 200 so far that I spent. Still need to get the coil packs, intake manifold, O2 sensors (4), tranny fluid.

Do you guys think I should get my timing belt changed now? You know since the engine is out of the truck still?

Oh yeah, the bad news is (of course there is always bad news). We all know Irene got the east coast pretty good a few weeks ago. Well my engine & tranny were stored in another building at the time she hit. I was told that the storage place had about 4ft of water in the building. They lost about 6k worth of equipment and vehicle parts. Not sure if my tranny and engine combo was touched in this but will find out this friday or hopefully this wednesday, but we shall see.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Well I got my truck back. With a few issues here and there, but the shop is being pretty nice about looking at my worries. Happy I got my truck back but wish I could have put a crate motor & trans in here, you did deserve that much, but you know pockets don't deserve that kind of beating either. Kids were uper happy to see it seating in the driver since she has been gone since Feb of this year. I found an oil leak but can't seem to pin point were it is coming from. When the truck is parked evenly I find no stains on my driveway, but when she is parked at an angle, pointing down the slope of my drive way I find oil leaks. She is the only vehicle in that drive way, the van is parked in the smaller driveway. Shop had truck for two days and nothing happened, not sure what the "sam hill" is going on.

95 Mazda Protege Dx 1.5L Rotory 5spd 222,252 miles (wrecked - gone but not forgotten)