1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It Won;t Turn Over

Old 01-17-2011, 03:58 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Its hard to troubleshoot one without seeing it but thats how i learned it too. Springerpop told me. I went through to find what year it stopped. My 00 is the same as yours so we go off what we know ours to be. It started in 02 according to schematics.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:00 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Oh well. I have some cd's but not all.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:39 PM
RogerG
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Luck

All the fuses check out. Is there an easy way to test the neutral safty switch? Thanks again for the diagram for the fuse box. Do you have the supporting data as to what each fuse is for?

Thanks,

Grits

Old 01-17-2011, 05:45 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
What about the relay?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 PM
RogerG
Freshman User
The Relay in the fuse pannel checks out fine

Hello Everyone, The fuses are all okay. Now I can hear the relat ckick when I engage the ignition. I am attaching an image of my fuse box.

What is the funny looking fuse marked in yellow?

Grits

Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Just because you can hear a relay click doesn't mean it's working. Try what I suggested. Put known good relay in the starter relay position and see what happens.

I can't tell what fuse position that is in the picture because of the angle of the picture. The view of the lower row of fuses is blocked by the bottom relays.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 PM
RogerG
Freshman User
Smile I did swap the relays

Thanks dchamberlain

I did swap the starter relay with no luck. I have tried everything suggested.

In the past, a neutral safty switch gave me some warning. ie, having to giggle the shifter in either park or neutral. I have tried that with no luck; however, I feel it may be the problem.

I will try to get a better photo tomorrow morning. I can email you the original with higher difinition if you like.

Grits

Old 01-17-2011, 07:48 PM
RogerG
Freshman User
It was not raining too hard

Here is a better shot of the funny looking fuse.

Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Thats just a fuse that lights up when it is blown. What does the red wire feed?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:07 PM
RogerG
Freshman User
Radar Detector

Hello Everyone

The red wire feeds the radar detector.

Grits

Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

There is no neutral safety switch to check out. The Digital Transmission Range Sensor is internal to the transmission and indicates the shifter position back to the PCM. The PCM provides the ground path for the starter relay if the DTR is indicating Neutral or Park. If the relay is activating, the the DTR is most likely working properly.

How did you test the fuses? Visually or did you use a test light or meter? If you didn't use a test light or meter, test Fuse 113 with it. If the relay is working, it seems that it either has to be that fuse or the starter solenoid or motor itself.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:27 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
According to schematic, there is a connector somewhere on the right fender. I do not know where exactly. I would guess where the starter relay is that u do no have near the battery on that side. It is a round one pin and has either a yellow and light blue wire or a red wire.

if u can find one that one, check to see if if signal makes it to there.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:36 PM
RogerG
Freshman User
Thanks David

David

I used a meter on all the fuses. The starter checks out fine. I am not getting current to the small wire, that attaches to the started, when the ignition is engaged. The large wire is showing 12.8V.

This has really got me scratching my head.

I am going to recheck everything tomorrow morning. I am capable of missing something simple. It is not like working on my old '59 T-Bird when I was a kid (long time ago) or other misc. hot rods.

I have a '73 Landrover that has a hand crank for a good reason. It always works. Anyone that ask why it has a hand crank has never owned a vechile with Lucas electronics (electrical). If they had, they would know.

I am one step from turning the ingintion switch on and see if it starts if I jump the small wire on the starter to the hot side of the battery. At least I could drive it to a warm and dry place to work on it.

I really appreciate your help.

Grits

Old 01-17-2011, 08:42 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
I would jump the starter. If u can disconnect the small wire from the starter, check it again if u had it connected when u checked it the first time. I have seen a meter show no power when connected and actually be getting power but it was being all used up by the motor. I know thats weird but true. Its rare but happens sometimes.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 PM
RogerG
Freshman User
Thank you Carlton

Thanks again

I replaced the started. I jumped the small wire to the hot wire and nothing happened. O'Riley has a lifetime warranty on all remanufactured parts they sell. They gladly replaced it. My old started checked out fine on their machine but the replaced it anyway.

Strange story about wiring. I owned a turf business for twenty five years. We installed a very long sprinkler system like you would see on a golf course. The well was about 3/8's of a mile from one of the controllers. We would shut the system down at the controller and the well kept running. The long run of wire was storing current like a battery. I figured it out but it took some time. I thought I was dealing with a Haint trying to drive me nuts. I was close to hanging a Clorox jug on both ends.

Grits

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It Won;t Turn Over