Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge cluster removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 09:36 AM
gamehunter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gauge cluster removal

I am putting new gauges in my truck but I can't seem to pull the cluster out. I have everything removed up to that point, but after loosening all the screws it seems to still be connected in the back directly behind the speedometer(dead center). In my chiltons it says to remove some speedometer cable connector but I have no clue what that is or how to get it off if you must reach behind the dash first. I tried to remove those 3 little screws around the tach template (2 around the speedomter template) but I assume there is some sort of a nut on the back since they just spin. Any ideas how to get one of these out? Here is a picture of what im talking about...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=12371&.jpg

Thanks a bunch

Old 01-12-2003, 10:20 AM
heavyvan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge cluster removal

Should be a small electrical connector on the back near the top center of the speedo gauge. I had a total of 3 connectors to pull on mine.

Old 01-12-2003, 10:28 AM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Gauge cluster removal

On a 90, you still have a mechanical driven speedometer, so, you have to reach in behind somehow to unhook it, I haven't had an 87-91 apart, so, I can't tell you how you're supposed to get in there...
Evan
86 F250 HD XLT Lariat Explorer 4x4 ex. Extended Cab: 8800LB GVWR 460/Edelbrock 1411
T19/BW 1345/3.55 geared Full Floater 10.25/Dana 50 TTB
265/75R16's on Whitespokes

I'm just your average 18 year old... LOL

Old 01-12-2003, 10:54 AM
gamehunter
Elder User
Gauge cluster removal

I was afraid of that. I can't seem to find any way of reaching up behind it. It looks like everything is blocked off from behind. I will go take another look at it....If anyone has done this, please let me know how to get back behind it. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2003, 11:25 AM
gamehunter
Elder User
Gauge cluster removal

I went and looked again, I did find the speedometer cable. It runs from the T-case along the drivers side frame rail, then enters the cab and continues under the carpet next to the gas peddle then runs up behind steering column and fallows it all the way up to the back of the cluster. Unfortunately I could not find a hole any larger than 1" diamter to see were the heck it connects. There has to be a way of removing this without taking out the ENTIRE clutch stearing assembly. I looked for a way to allow more slack in the cable to be able to pull the cluster out enough to disconnect it, but unfortuately there isn't any slack!! My chiltons says exactly this....disconnect the speedometer cable wire connector from the printed circuit, 4x4 indicator light, and remove the cluster. Which I assume to be the back of the cluster, but it is not clearly mentioned what that is.

Old 01-12-2003, 01:19 PM
dbrown13
Senior User
Gauge cluster removal

The cable is attached to the cluster with a clip type
connector. Put a small amount of tension on the speedo cable by gently pulling the cluster toward you, then use a med screwdriver to manipulitate the catch, you will have to work at it a bit as it is
tricky. First time I got into one took me two hours to figure out out how to remove it. Hope this helps

Darrell
93 F150SC 300six M5OD
91 F150 300six M5OD
93 RangerSC 4.0 M5OD
93 Ranger 2.3 M5OD
93 Ranger 2.3 M5OD
96 Tbird LX

Old 01-12-2003, 01:28 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Gauge cluster removal

I did this once in my '87. From what I remember, I just twisted or squeezed the connection of the cable to get it to release. It's easier to get to if you unplug the two wiring connections on each side of the cluster first. That will give you a little more slack...not much, but just a little more. It's a quick release type connection on the cable, so it shouldn't take anything other than pinching it or possibly a little poking with a screwdriver. Best I remember, I didn't have to use any tools. Hope this helps.

Old 01-12-2003, 04:05 PM
gamehunter
Elder User
Gauge cluster removal

There is a big aluminum piece that supports the steering wheel and clutch/brake peddles. How do you reach around it to get to the cable? I can just about get up their going from the right side (actually im probably farther away than I think), but the left side it totally blocked off and I can barely see the cable in the first place. On the right side there is a big bunch of wires in the way. I believe that is the interior wiring harness since it appears to branch off in many directions. No way I can move that out of the way. And I can't reach around the back side since the peddles are in the way. I also tried to reach under the cluster by pulling it out but I couldn't get enough slack in it. Now, why couldn't ford have made a disconnect about mid-way up on the firewall behind the peddles? I sure hope this thing is easier to reconnect than it is to disconnect. Furthermore, I hope these glow templates are worth it.

Old 01-12-2003, 04:12 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Gauge cluster removal

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-12-03 AT 05:14 PM (EST)]I got to it by reaching around the guage cluster itself. As you have found, there is no way to reach it coming up from the bottom. Unplug the electric harnesses on the back of the cluster itslef, and see if that gives you some slack to pull out the cluster enough to reach behind it and unplug the speedo cable.

Edit: the guage panel should be loose, and should come out with the plastic cover on it. I noticed in your picture that the plastic cover is off, and wondered if you just got that off and not the entire cluster. Just another thought, I'm not trying to insult you in any way, I'm just thinking of more possibilities.

Old 01-12-2003, 04:20 PM
gamehunter
Elder User
Gauge cluster removal

Thanks a bunch...Yeah, i do have the whole cluster loose. About 1/2" play in it or so. I believe there was 4 screws holding it in place. I will try again to see if it is possible to reach around the cluster from the front of the dash.

Old 01-12-2003, 06:07 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gauge cluster removal

Old 01-12-2003, 06:14 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Gauge cluster removal

It's possible to go under the dash & up beside the pedal bracket, but you need small hands to get up there. When you get your hands on the white plastic end of the cable, there'll be a flat bar identifying the top running front-to-back. Push that bar down, and the single tooth on the bottom will release from the back of the speedo.

If you get under the dash looking up with a penlight, you should be able to find where the cable has hooked around something, and release the slack. Make sure you've pulled it up from the floor as far as you can, but if it's not enough, you can pull the hairpin clip from where the cable connects to the VSS on the t-case and get all the slack you need. You might be able to just twist the cable out without pulling the hairpin, and the clip needs to be back in the VSS before you push the cable back in.

Old 01-12-2003, 07:00 PM
gamehunter
Elder User
Gauge cluster removal

I think I may be able to get it by using a screw driver from the front of the cluster. But after looking at it I am kind of stumped how I would ever get it back on!! It appears that the cable is to short for it to be able to reconnect before I put the cluster back in place. Any Ideas?

Old 01-12-2003, 07:25 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Gauge cluster removal

Yes, read the last part of my previous post.

Old 02-03-2003, 02:59 PM
Dboyd35
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge cluster removal

On my 1994 Explorer, it tells you to remove the speedometer cable to remove the instrument cluster, too, but there isn't enough slack. I also couldn't get to it from behind, or get any more slack. I ended up prying on the bottom of the instrument's plastic faceplate and they came off. They are held on by the pins that attach them to the wiring bracket and will just pop back on. You might want to try this, it worked for me.

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster removal