1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OK, so what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
OK, so what do you think?

I gave a little New Year's party for my friends and naturally all the guys wound up out in the shop to do a little bench racing, tell a bunch of lies, solve the world's problems and critique the build on my truck. The subject came up regarding color that I intended to paint the 55. Well since I've owned several show cars and I'm no longer interested in showing, I said that I'm going shoot it suede and drive it. That's when I caught all the flak. My friends think since I've done so much custom work on it that it would be a waste not to go ahead and paint it. They bring up a lot of good points such as value if I wanted to sell it, but.........

I've spent most of my life making other people's vehicles look shiny and I've just kinda got past the shiny part for myself. I'd like to just drive and enjoy the truck without worry about the kid that just stood on my running board, or the lady in the caddy that just slammed her door into my truck. All the custom work is just things that I've dreamed about doing for years and I'm just now getting around to making it a reality. The truck has been collecting dust in my shop for over 20 years and now that I've retired, I just want to have fun with it.

So what do you think.........shiny paint or suede? And yes I know, it's my truck, do what I want.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:27 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
oh man, do what you want.. don't let anyone tell you whats best for you..

I'm personally not a fan of suede look, but I've seen some awesome vehicles finished that way.. I look past the 'finish' to the construction.

Sam

Old 01-07-2011, 02:28 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
S U E D E....

Old 01-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I`m going both ways with my two 53`s. I like shinny for my mostly garage queen and the suede is great for my daily driver.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:32 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Drewski 2
...shiny paint or suede?
Velcro.Seriously,I agree about not having something I'm afraid to drive.In theory, I want to have nice paint.In reality, I get so much attention as-is, my truck having the original paint and areas where primer is showing through with small amounts of surface rust,in short, a thoroughly authentic-looking 50's era truck.I hate the word,but some call it patina.I really do not care for the overly glossy, costume jewelry,eye-candy look.Mine is a truck,and is used as such.

Steve

Old 01-07-2011, 02:37 PM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd have to see the color your thinking about. I thought I seen a metallic dark orange-ish color that was pretty sweet without the clear coat, I've even seen a metallic blue the same way. I think they had shot a dull coat over them just to seal it but it gave it that semi gloss-flat-ish look. No matter what you do though you should always worry about the lady who just slammed her door into your truck...

Old 01-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Cooter55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, it's your ride...do what makes you happy...It's only paint.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
oh man, do what you want.. don't let anyone tell you whats best for you..

I'm personally not a fan of suede look, but I've seen some awesome vehicles finished that way.. I look past the 'finish' to the construction.

Sam
Don't get me wrong, I love nice paint work and your truck is a great example. I guess I just dread the upkeep. Washing, waxing, parking far away from other cars, can't drive it today........it's raining...............Darn, I must be getting old.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:49 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Suede!! Did you say you were going pink!!, seriously i think with all the mods you have it would really look good in a suede colour.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:53 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
no.. I get it .. my baby is a trailer queen.. sad but true.. didn't start out that way, but the paint I picked pushed me into that corner. I'm happy, and working on other trucks to drive.

she's only seen rain once.. and it was a downpour.. but she wasn't moving.

but I don't like suede for a different reason.. its 'flat', dull.. turns most folks off, or doesn't turn them on.. so your truck (and you) don't get the respect you/it should..

Sam

Old 01-07-2011, 03:13 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
It's your truck build it the way you want. If suede will make you happy then paint it suede. All your mods are still going to be there. It's not like if it's not shiny they are all going to run away!

My junk is just getting rattle canned so if the paint gets chipped or scratched I can just break out the rattle can and touch it up. I'd rather be driving it instead of fussing over the paint.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Agrajag
New User
Right on, it's your truck ... do what you like.

I really want to go with a flat two tone on mine.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Fordman49F1
Senior User
Paint is at least a year off for me...but it don't mean I have not thought about it. Flat(ish) paint looks nice, and it does get attention just like shiny paint does. The main difference is people often think it is primer, and you will get many "What color will it end up being?"

My vote is shiny paint and drive it. The chips, scratches, what have you will show in flat paint just the same.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:02 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
As was said before it is your truck, paint it any damn way you want. I would also suggest that you look at the satin line of paints. It is shinier that the flat paint but doesn't have the high upkeep gloss.

My personal opinon is that if you have to paint it some super trick paint to get noticed you are either building a trailer queen for shows where it is expected or you built the truck wrong. No matter what you paint or don't paint these trucks will attract attention. Mine is a driver and when I finally get to the point of paint it will be a simple paint job so i can spend my time enjoying the driving and not the upkeep.

jim

Old 01-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Fomoko1
I`m going both ways with my two 53`s. I like shinny for my mostly garage queen and the suede is great for my daily driver.
I'm doing the same as Fomoko. My 53 will be a shinny finish and the 51 might not even get painted. I know that doesn't help you but if you don't finish it the way you want it you will never be happy with it. If your like me then your not building your truck for all the people at the shows or on the street but for yourself......

Quick Reply: OK, so what do you think?