Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

1992 Ford F350 IDI Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:51 AM
sirnobody
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Ford F350 IDI Engine

I was looking at buying a used 1992 F350 with only about a 130k miles on it. My only issue with it is I'm pretty sure it uses the pre turbo/powerstroke IDI on it. How much more complicated are repair problems and replacement parts for a 1992 IDI and do you think there would be a significantly better advantage for getting a 1995 F250 instead with turbocharger instead?

Thanks,
Sirnobody

Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
IMHO, the '92 is the better rig, parts are cheap, easy to fix, no computer s**t to go wrong.
Check the coolant though, it's important it's been maintained as cavitation can be an issue with the 7.3s.
The power that the newer rigs have isn't there, but as long as you're not one of those guys that has to power his 35 foot fifth wheel 85 miles per hour up Mt. Mother F**ker you'll find the IDI's have plenty of power to get what you need done.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:08 AM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
The power that the newer rigs have isn't there, but as long as you're not one of those guys that has to power his 35 foot fifth wheel 85 miles per hour up Mt. Mother F**ker you'll find the IDI's have plenty of power to get what you need done.
HAHAHAHAHA!! This has me laughing and I can't stop!

As far as the 92 7.3 engine. Yes, it's a pre-powerstroke and no it does not have a turbo.
What are you gonna do with the truck? And what truck are you used to?
I know my transition from a 352 FE big block in my '65 to this 6.9 IDI was disappointing. My 352 will run circles around my IDI, but don't be discouraged...I now know how to drive my IDI...I just keep the thing floored! Plus the IDI gets double the MPG's, I average around 18 with a 4 speed and 3.55 gears with no OD. If you're willing to go a bit slower towing, the IDI will take care of business.

The IDI is MUCH simpler than a powerstroke and if you buy a new or used turbo kit for it, it will have more nuts than a stock Stroke. Plus, the repairs are something you can do yourself with common hand tools. My IDI is the last truck I'll ever own, I'll just keep updating as parts let go...oh yeah, and I'm only 20 so it's got a long life ahead of it.

HAHA, and if you're worried about the world ending, the IDI will survive the apocalypse! https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...yptic-idi.html

Old 01-07-2011, 11:12 AM
NorthernDiesel
Senior User
Plus, if you put a Banks kit on the IDI at some point you can drag the 1995 all over the place and still not have to deal with computers, and you don't have to pay 400$ per injector rather than the whole SET!
One injector change in the newer Powerstroke can buy you the top of the line brand new turbo kits.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:27 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah a banks turbo'd IDI is about the same as a first gen. powerstroke. Plus you get much better MPG (about 5-7 difference), a simple truck to fix, parts are cheap, etc.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:04 PM
sirnobody
New User
Yeh honestly I'm using it mostly as a daily driver. I'll be honest, I mostly want it because I like big trucks, I don't like flooring my cars, so I'm pretty happy with a truck. Also, it's the only thing I can afford used. I would mostly be driving and towing small trailers with it but it would be my first time owning a diesel. How complicated are repairs on it?

Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
the psd's do well on fuel economy.
it was the 6.4l out of all of 'em that didn't do so well.
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Garage Fuel Economy
i do pretty decent considering my setup and full time work use with the indirect injection.
p.s. how come im all alone reporting and tracking mileage.come on people lol.just check your odo's to gps and or google maps or the like,to make sure your accurate first.false reports and guestimates would be crappy.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Repairs on the IDI engine are stupid easy.
You can get away with a set of wrenches, screwdrivers, and 3/8" drive sockets, both metric and SAE. Obviously you'll need more I can't think of, but you get the idea...no specialized tools required.
For example, most things are SAE, but the bolts for the vacuum pump are 10mm for some reason? I know it's not just my truck because I've had 2 parts trucks that are the same way!
For your application, you'll be very happy with the truck.

For fuel mileage, I have receipts dating back to January 1, 2009. My fuel tank has been an issue all year and not having a working fuel gauge has me tracking my MPG's by the amount of fuel added dived by the number of miles driven since the last fuel up. My fuel tank vent is totally home-made and unreliable as a way to tell when the tank is full. The thing takes forever to fill up and always spills over a bit when it decides there's too much air int he tank and the 1" vent pipe is full. (shake head now)

This is my first time seeing the Garage Fuel Economy thing. I know you had that cool graph in your signature for a while, but thought you made it in a different program.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Yep, if it's going to be a cruiser you'll be happy with the IDI, good fuel economy for a full size truck, simple and cheap to fix, and more importantly doesn't need to be fixed very often. Not uncommon for these engines to go 400K to 500K miles with proper maintenance, some report even higher.
What few issues you might have with it you'll find plenty of helpful folks here with the answers. When you get it be sure to post pics, some of us are easily entertained and we like pics.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:36 PM
sirnobody
New User
Yeh my only issue with it might be that it wouldn't pass emission standard and maybe that's why the guy was sling it so cheap only 130k miles and 2750$

Old 01-08-2011, 12:45 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
well you didn't say it was a 4wd or anything.a '92 is 19 years old now. so id say that's priced pretty close to right.many members here have payed much less.
with the 130k it's ideally time for a tune up and all fluids flushed.so you can count on another 1k all easy there on top of the price.
he's not letting it go any too cheap for what it is.if its a 4wd,id call it a decent deal.remember it is 19 yrs old and vehicles generally depreciate in value over time,not much ya can do to avoid that.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
You live where they emission test vintage diesels? Yikes, even Communist California isn't that harsh yet.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:17 PM
rodneywar
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no emmisions in md or state inspections i can legally drive the truck around with out a floor pan cause it has historic plates on it lol but that would be cold as ****

Old 01-08-2011, 06:00 PM
sirnobody
New User
Well I live in Illinois not sure If they emission test trucks. This would be my first time owning

Old 01-08-2011, 07:00 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
you should read this prior to purchase as well sirnobody (lol.like that username. )

Cavitation Article

Quick Reply: 1992 Ford F350 IDI Engine