1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do i know if i need to replace the catalytic converter in my ford bronco 1994

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 04:24 AM
Samantha21
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how do i know if i need to replace the catalytic converter in my ford bronco 1994

I have a 94 bronco and have been told I need to replace mt catalytic converter, among several other things . I know nothing beyond how to change my tire and oil if I absolutly can not find some one to do it for me (. However , I don't want to just let any ol' " I can help ya little lady I am kinda handy and know what I am doin " kinda guy do it and its sittin in my front yard and it won't crank and its my only car and i gotta get to work so I gotta do something.
Ok , so it doesn't want to go , like my foots on the gas and nothin , can't get it over like 15 for ever, it kinda makes a poping noise , it smells like i dont know boiled eggsish kinda smell which i am told is exaust, it kinda jerks and stutters and it slows down and sometimes dies even when i am pressing the gas , it acts like its out of gas . I got it home but it wont even start. I want to take it to mechanic but I have to get it to start fisrt and every guy on my block has stopped by with a different idea of whats wrong and how they can help. .... please help !

Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 AM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
take the cat loose, see if it runs any better, if it does I would suspect the cat, but actually there's not much that can go wrong with a catalityic converter,

Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
The rotten egg smell is usually from a clogged cat. It sounds like its plugged up pretty well, especially if its causing running problems like that.

Take it to a local exhaust shop. Most of them will test your catalytic converter for free and will tell you if its plugged up. If so, have it replaced.

Another option for that sluggish of performance would be a fully clogged fuel filter. If gas can't get to the engine, it can't go. But the smell you're describing makes me think a cat.

Lastly, you can always have a place test your engine codes. That will tell you a lot. Again, a lot of places will do it for free.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 AM
FordManMT
Senior User
depending on where you live. i.e. if you dont have yearly emissions test, dump the cats and have a flow master put on. Better sound, better exsaust flow, in your case better mileage.

If you straight pipe a truck, run a full straight pipe to the back, you get a nice deep throaty sound

Old 01-07-2011, 11:49 AM
AbandonedBronco
Cats are there for more than just legal purposes.

Removing them when they're not "required" is a personal choice, and not one that should be encouraged.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:46 AM
FordManMT
Senior User
Well we all have our opinions. Even if I don't have "cats" my truck will never create as much poilution than a hybrid

Old 01-08-2011, 01:48 AM
FordManMT
Senior User
*I mean as much polution as the construction of a hybrid

Old 01-08-2011, 11:54 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A valid point, FordManMt. However, a functioning catalytic converter may not be removed from service by federal law regardless of the existence of inspections. If it fails, and the vehicle is not required to pass said inspections (if they exist where you are) then, and only then, may it be removed/bypassed. Catalytic converters that are functioning properly are completely passive devices and as such have no effect on exhaust auditory signature or the flow rate.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:12 PM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
Mine definitely affects my exhaust sound.. and forget federal law, local law, even without inspections, are very pro-cat. I can't find an exhaust shop in a 100 mile radius that will touch anything catalytic converter forward. If they're certified and get caught (as simple as someone telling on them if THEY get caught) they can face fines up to $10,000 .. at least, that's according to the shops.
If I want a new cat, I *have to* take it to the dealer.. it's sort of rediculous

and when you get a ticket here there is a checkbox for improper exhaust/missing catalytic converter... though I doubt it is enforced, people let their exhaust go without repair even in brand new vehicles.

Hopefully you don't have to face the same kind of laws.. replacement cat can be expensive if the mechanic wants to or has to do it by the book.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:35 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
The drawback to leaving a bad catalytic converter in place is that it DOES affect noise and flow rate. The substrate inside a functioning cat has hundreds of linear passages that allow exhaust gasses to flow through it. A cracked or clogged substrate reduces flow and creates turbulence inside the exhaust plumbing effective creating noise and reducing flow. There can be enough clog created to actually stall the engine, burn valves, and make really pretty red colors come out from under the vehicle at the point of the clog.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:42 PM
FordManMT
Senior User
There are no inspections here in Montana. And I know of exsaust shops that will remove the cats, they are hush hush about it but they do it.
Any type of exsaust restriction can effect preformance.

Soon I plan on turbo charging my truck, so no cats needed

Old 01-08-2011, 06:05 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
No cats needed because of a turbo? I'm just curious how that negates the need?

Old 01-09-2011, 01:05 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
sam get a plug wrench and pull a few spark plugs..if any are fouled.. replace them all you have electronic ignition so that is where to start ...you can figger it out with a little work ..after you check the plugs let us know what is going on..

Old 01-09-2011, 11:14 AM
vtjvt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by greystreak92
No cats needed because of a turbo? I'm just curious how that negates the need?
LOL, I am wondering the same thing.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:55 AM
AbandonedBronco
All vehicles need a catalytic converter, regardless of whether or not its required. They reduce pollution, and as someone whose eyes, nose, and throat are one fire when we have a few days of no wind and the smog sticks around, I know personally what good they do.

Yeah, a hybrid may cause more pollution to build but that's beside the point. My 30 year old truck with a cat puts out less pollution than my 30 year old truck without one. I could care less about the 2hp I lose. It's insignificant.

Quick Reply: how do i know if i need to replace the catalytic converter in my ford bronco 1994