Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Governing the speed

Anyone know if the top speed can be governed to 70 mph?+

Old 01-07-2011, 08:23 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ford dealer might could. Might contact one of these programmer manufacturers for help. You're basically running a Focus drivetrain.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/computer_chips.htm

Old 01-08-2011, 12:30 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,585 Likes on 1,292 Posts
I noticed the window sticker on some '11 E150s we got at work showed a "65 mph..." max speed governor. So maybe Ford has that option for other vehicles....?????

Old 01-10-2011, 05:14 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ncranchero
Ford dealer might could. Might contact one of these programmer manufacturers for help. You're basically running a Focus drivetrain.

Performance Programmer Computer Chips for Trucks
So the Transit is fwd?

Old 01-10-2011, 05:24 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
So the Transit is fwd?
Yes, the Transit CONNECT is front wheel drive, 2.0L. Gets 25 mpg but loaded @ it's max 1600 lbs acceleration is slowwwwwwwwwwwwww ! Lots of cargo space but the weight drags it down.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:30 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Junior User
I'm actually kinda dissapointed it's fwd. But how would a SVT Focus drivetrain sound?

Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 AM
fgials
Senior User
Everything is going fwd now. I have the Service manager checking on this for me now. I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 PM
fgials
Senior User
They say they can't govern the speed on it! It has to be possible though. Come on guys hope someone might know something.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Junior User
Let it govern itself. Ever see a R&T or C&D if not gear limited it usually sez something like aerodynamically limited in the description next to top speed.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:46 PM
fgials
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
Let it govern itself. Ever see a R&T or C&D if not gear limited it usually sez something like aerodynamically limited in the description next to top speed.
I am running a fleet of trucks and am just trying to limit topend speed to 70 no more. thanks

Old 02-12-2011, 12:14 AM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fgials
I am running a fleet of trucks and am just trying to limit topend speed to 70 no more. thanks
If you cannot limit the top speed either from Ford or aftermarket, then how about a speed recorder?

It won't stop the speeding, but it will give you the ability to review and then deal with the offending driver(s) The nice thing about the GPS style over the mechanical recorders are this - it is just not about the top speed limiting, but it checks speeds in all areas such as a school zone, or if going 45 say in a 35 zone, etc.

Where I work some of the trucks are equipped with GPS tracking, and a report is emailed daily on speeding to the office and drivers - but in that case the trucks are assigned to a paticular driver. Easy to track who has what truck number.

While the libertarian in me doesn't take to big brother snooping, and it will never hapoen on my personal vehicle, in this case it is a private company that I choose to work for, and one of the things that I choose to accept by that choice to work there is the GPS, or the possibility of such.

You most likely are going to loose a driver or two if you go the GPS route, but you will lose them eventually anyways if they have tickets, and you wont have to wait until there annual DMV/DOT records check to find out what they have been doing in your trucks with your name on them! And on your insurance policy to boot!

Good luck with this.

David

Old 02-12-2011, 04:10 PM
fgials
Senior User
Originally Posted by dmanlyr
If you cannot limit the top speed either from Ford or aftermarket, then how about a speed recorder?

It won't stop the speeding, but it will give you the ability to review and then deal with the offending driver(s) The nice thing about the GPS style over the mechanical recorders are this - it is just not about the top speed limiting, but it checks speeds in all areas such as a school zone, or if going 45 say in a 35 zone, etc.

Where I work some of the trucks are equipped with GPS tracking, and a report is emailed daily on speeding to the office and drivers - but in that case the trucks are assigned to a paticular driver. Easy to track who has what truck number.

While the libertarian in me doesn't take to big brother snooping, and it will never hapoen on my personal vehicle, in this case it is a private company that I choose to work for, and one of the things that I choose to accept by that choice to work there is the GPS, or the possibility of such.

You most likely are going to loose a driver or two if you go the GPS route, but you will lose them eventually anyways if they have tickets, and you wont have to wait until there annual DMV/DOT records check to find out what they have been doing in your trucks with your name on them! And on your insurance policy to boot!

Good luck with this.

David
I am acually looking very hard at geomoto.com for a real time tracker.

Thanks again