Moving to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Alaska

Hey everyone!

My name is Paul, and I currently live in North Carolina, driving my 1985 Ford F150. I have lived in North Carolina since early 2000, and I have hated it ever since I moved here. I was originally from California... but now it's time to move again.

My goal is simple: Alaska

I plan on living near Anchorage, and I have my sights set on Wasilla. I was just wondering....

Do any of you live in or near Wasilla?

How is the crime? Traffic? School system? Food/Gas prices?

What is the average temp around there?

I am planning on moving in the next 18 months... So, I would like to start finding out anything and everything I can.

Alaska has been the dream state for me... I've always wanted to live there... I've finally got my chance.

Right... and how is the unemployment over there? Will it be easy for a High School History teacher to get a job in Anchorage, Wasilla, or surrounding areas?

I really would love to know anything and everything about Wasilla, Anchorage, and the surrounding areas... Prices, jobs, crime...

Everything!

So, thanks! One of these days i'll be changing my chapter on FTE to the Alaska chapter!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:08 AM
bearman113
Alaska Chapter ******
Welcome, we will enjoy having you up here in this great state. There are others on here who can give you the info your asking about. Wasilla is warmer then the interior where I am, so the winter aren't too bad for up here. As for a job as a teacher shouldn't be too hard for you to get one either before you get here or shortly after you do.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
That's good.

I would hate to move up there and no teaching positions available. Of course, I am going to apply before I move... Just in case...

Old 01-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Kalabin
Mountain Pass
Paul,

Take a look at the Anchorage School District Website if your planning on living in Anchorage or Eagle River. From what I have heard is they always have spots for special needs classes if you have any qualifications in that area.

ASD Online -- The website of the Anchorage School District

If you are looking to live in Wasilla or Palmer your going to look for the Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District.

Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District

As for crime Anchorage is like most any medium sized city in the lower 48, need to find a good neighborhood. Wasilla and Palmer have a lot more land for the dollar, however in the winter time the wind really blows and the wind chill can dip down fast. There is a two lane highway that connects Palmer - Wasilla to Anchorage which is filled with commuters, most people spend an hour or more driving in the morning depending on what part of the valley you are commuting from to Anchorage. Out of the two, Wasilla is more developed than Palmer by a fair margin. Anchorage is getting close to 400,000 residents and is the largest.

Food costs more up here, everything does. Shipping to Alaska drives prices up. As for gas it's currently 3.41 / Gallon in Eagle River which is a suburb of Anchorage. We usually trail behind Hawaii, but I believe currently we are the highest.

Town homes in Anchorage and Eagle River go for about 180-250k. Single Family Homes go for 250 (older homes) up to whatever your willing to pay.

In the valley you can get a single family home and an acre or two of land for anywhere from 150-250. Of course depends on if it's in a sub division, how far outside of Wasilla you are etc.

Alaska was rated as the #2 Economy in the United States this past year. There are a decent amount of seasonal jobs up here that college students typically fill, or fishing and construction industry jobs. Unemployment bounces around depending on the season. In the winter it can jump up to the national average of 8-9%, and then in the summer it will dip down to 4-5%. It fluctuates depending on federal and state construction, along with private, fishing jobs etc.

If it was me, I would try and get a job in the "Valley" (Palmer / Wasilla) and then purchase a house with some land out there.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:28 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I used to live in North Pole. You will really like the Wasilla area. Alaska is a dream world, i love it and miss it. Im sure you will be able to find a job no problem up there. Im not sure if Elmendorf AFB has a school or not, but u might check into that also

Old 01-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Thanks guys,

That's exactly what I was wanting to hear from you all. I can't wait till I get up there. Yeah, I am planning on living outside of Anchorage, such as Wasilla. I might find other places around Anchorage, but I have looked on google maps for hours around Wasilla, and it seems like a pretty nice place.

As for the prices, they may be a bit more expensive, but you all get paid a little bit better that we do on the east coast.

Alaska is my goal. It's going to be great once I get there.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:52 AM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the engine is a 300 Six you'll have exhaust manifold troubles. I had three of them, all cracked.
You'll need a Tank Heater too, and if your really up-class, get a remote starter installed.

My Son, and his two girls and now a Great Grandson all go/went to schools in the Wasilla area except one girl went to Palmer Hi.
You better find out if you'll get a job teaching before you go up there. You may have to wait a year or two.
Lot's of Teachers work in the Fishing industry during the Summer.
The Commuting in the Winter will drive you nuts!

Old 12-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I wonder if he ever made it up, seeing as that post was almost 4 years ago.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Criminy DAK I never noticed the Date. I'd guess not, or we'd have heard some more questions from him.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Tall Timbers
Cross-Country
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Wicked Endings, did you ever make it to Alaska?