Florida Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Ronnie Shierling

6.0L owners BEWARE Mullinax Ford in Apopka

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:57 AM
WIKD
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0L owners BEWARE Mullinax Ford in Apopka

I wanted to warn anyone needing diesel work to be very wary of Mullinax Ford in Apopka. Heres the deal. I bought a truck at Gibson Truck World in Sanford which is also a little bit of a sore spot. Anyone who purchases a truck there gets a 12 month 1/2 and 1/2 warranty which isn't too bad until you realize it's a 12 mo or 6000 mi warranty, whichever comes first. Well the national average has risen to 15,000 mi a year so a 6000 mi warranty is really about a 6mo warranty, but at least you have it. However on diesel trucks they have a contract with Mullinax in Apopka so I had to go there for an intermittent no start.

Once there I get a call and they tell me it's the snap to connect fittings on the high pressure oil line. I argue with them that if that was the problem the no start would not be intermittent, it's happened 4 times in 5 mos, it would be continuous and more often than not it would happen when the truck was warm. My problem is ONLY when it's ice cold. Well they continued to argue and finally talk me into letting them fix that because they believe that is the problem. I pay half the contract price $500 and pick up the truck.

Two days later I have another no start first thing in the morning. I call them and tell them it's obviously not fixed and as soon as I get it started (took about an hour) I bring it back to them. Now they know I use a programmer on the truck, I told them about it the first time I towed it in. And they know the problem started months before the programmer, I just bought the SCT last month. So instead of saying they F'ed up, they tell me it's the programmer causing the no start now and tell me they have a list of 11 codes they found on the computer which all are from using a programmer. They even put the codes on the invoice and state on there it's caused by a programmer.

Now heres the kicker. I never had a CEL, and I know and told them it happened months before I ever bought the SCT, so I decided to go get the truck from them since it hasn't duplicated for them. They list the codes on the invoice, put down it's all due to an aftermarket programmer and tell me they won't warranty their repairs. So I contact SCT who state that only one code may possibly be contributed to the programmer, but since I put the tune back to stock before bringing it to them it probably wasn't. Then I took the invoice to TWO other Ford dealers and explained the situation to them. Both agreed that at least half the codes would have thrown a check engine light (CEL), I never had one. One of the dealers went over the codes with me and said that the codes they posted weren't even for my truck. Two of the codes are gasoline only codes and all the rest are just generic codes that could be put down to show problems. The diesel tech there agreed with me that the connections are usually only a problem when the truck is warm and definitely would not be intermittent. He would have leaned more towards a FICM going out since it happens when cold but needs to diagnose it when it's giving me trouble, not when it's running OK. He took all this time, checked for codes and my current strategy and didn't charge me a dime.

So be warned! I'll wait till the truck acts up again and bring it to another dealer but I'll NEVER bring it back to Mullinax Ford in Apopka again and neither should you if you have a 6.0L PSD. Sorry about the long post but I wanted to list some specifics, not just a don't go to Mullinax Apopka thread, so you know it's not just me thinking I didn't get treated right. There are facts involved.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
When I was shopping for my Ex late last year, I was really impressed
with the GTW advertising - they are on TV and radio all the time.

Well, I was very disappointed. The couldn't even start their Ex for me.
They need to jump start and to put in more fuel.

I bought mine across the street @ Nations.
I've also been less than pleased with Don Reid, which is close to me
it seems all diesels should go to Heintzelmans, .....

I've found an Ex Ford Mechanic (Myron is his name).
used to work for Mullinax as their diesel guy for like 18 years.

He has his own place in Casselberry (Mobile Oval), do a yahoo/google.
He is listed on the BulletProof diesel website also.

He's going to be installing my BulletProof Oil & EGR coolers shortly.
I visited him about a week ago to ask about his experience, we had a good visit.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 AM
jd58980
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I live around the corner from Mullinax Apopka but have never taken my Ex there for diesel service. I take my 2006 and 2008 mustangs there for service though and I have one mechanic there that is very helpful and knowledgeable, but dont think he is the diesel mechanic.

I also have a GOOD outside diesel, his shop is

Southern Diesel Performance - Wally
Longwood, Fl
(386) 804-7680

When my HPOP went out, (7.3 PSD) he had it fixed in about 4 hours.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 PM
WIKD
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. Gives me two choices to look into.