1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Can you add limited slip diff to 7.5 Ranger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:02 PM
1998Ranger25L153CID
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you add limited slip diff to 7.5 Ranger?

I'm going to be keeping this 98 Ranger I have for probably a long time. It's already got 255,000 miles on it. The engine has been replaced with a 40,000 mile 2.5L from a 2000 Ranger. The transmission is a HD custom built 4R44E that's got 30,000 miles now. I can't afford another vehicle either but this thing gets the worst traction and always has. Of course because it's light in the rear and it has a 4.10, 7.5" non-limited slip differential. I was looking on EBAY for some limited slip differentials for the Ford 7.5 which might be affordable depending all what's involved in replacing it. Is it possible to add limited slip to this 7.5? What all will I need to find from the salvage yard? Does my ring gear ratio stay the same 4.10? I've also got RABS only, no front. I got a differential shop I can go to but I want to work on gathering the parts from salvage first. What kind of ranger usually has a factory limited slip 7.5? Long beds?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 PM
99offroadrngr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your gearing wont change. My truck came factory with a limited slip in my 7.5 axle. I actually just sold the limited slip with the gears from the axle to someone because i upgraded to an 8.8 since i have 33x12.5 BFG Mud Terrain KM2s.

You could buy a used one from a junkyard but it will take forever to find one with the correct axle code. If you're buying from a salvage yard you'll still have to replace the carrier bearings and I'd highly recommend rebuilding the entire carrier. I'd just buy a new one (listed below) and get the bearings pressed on somewhere to save yourself the headache. There aren't "trucks that usually have a limited slip 7.5" it was mostly random but i have a 99 with the off road package and a 3.0L motor. Look on the tag on the differential cover and look at the tags. if it says 4L10 the L is for the limited slip. make sure it says 75 on the tag too.

Here is what i have in my new axle but for the 8.8, not 7.5. This is what i had factory from Ford on my truck
Ford Racing M-4204-C75 - Ford Racing Traction-Lok Differentials - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Along with that, you'll need to go to Ford and order carrier bearings and races for it (regardless if you're going used or new). Id recommend also replacing the outer axle seals, ford has them also they're not expensive.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:33 PM
1998Ranger25L153CID
More Turbo
I have rear wheel abs only. Can I still use that limited slip diff from summit? If so that's not a bad price considering the one for my Charger is more than double that. So the only things I need to get is this diff and new bearings for it? I'm going to take it to a shop to get it done. I want make sure I've got everything to get it done before I go to the shop. There is a lot of Rangers at the salvage yards around here so can I just yank it from any with a 7.5 and limited slip if I find one? Do I need anything for it to still retain the rear abs? Also will it effect anything with the speedometer or computer?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 PM
99offroadrngr
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1998Ranger25L153CID
I have rear wheel abs only. Can I still use that limited slip diff from summit? If so that's not a bad price considering the one for my Charger is more than double that. So the only things I need to get is this diff and new bearings for it? I'm going to take it to a shop to get it done. I want make sure I've got everything to get it done before I go to the shop. There is a lot of Rangers at the salvage yards around here so can I just yank it from any with a 7.5 and limited slip if I find one? Do I need anything for it to still retain the rear abs? Also will it effect anything with the speedometer or computer?
ur current carrier should have a ring on it for the abs and should swap over. call and ask summit, they have great customer service. I wouldn't even bother pulling one from a junkyard it will need a full rebuild.

you need:
Limited Slip (summit)
Carrier Bearings (go to ford for them)
Outer Axle seals (Go to ford for them)
Friction Modifier (go to ford for it)
Races (go to ford for them)
80W90 Gear oil
RTV

call summit to see if it works on your application with the abs. I have ABS and it works but i have 4wheel im pretty sure

the backlash should be the same if you're replacing it. mark the shims, which goes on left, which goes on the right. pull the ring gear from old carrier put on new one (onto limited slip, torque each ring gear bolt in series to 77ft/lb and put RED lock tite on them) slide back in place shims in correct side and the lash shoudln't be changed. Slide the axle shafts back in put the c clips back on put BLUE lock tite on the center pin place the caps back on with arrows pointing to outside of axle and torque the caps to 77ft/lb then place the dif cover back on with RTV and tighten bolts in series
Place the "caps"

Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 PM
1998Ranger25L153CID
More Turbo
I looked at the description of the differential on Summit's website and it said it will accept the ABS exciter ring. It said it fits Rangers 1983-2007. How do I make sure I have 28 spline shafts until I take them out or is the only one I should have on my Ranger? I can get all the remaining parts I need discounted and Summit is only 30 mins away from me. I have to return some valve covers there that I didn't want to use on my Charger so I can put that towards it. But I wasn't going to do the labor. This is my only daily driver transportation. Do you know a fair labor price a shop might charge? Will they be able to complete it within a day? Is there any problems they could run into or is it a pretty simple swap out?

Old 01-11-2011, 09:21 PM
99offroadrngr
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1998Ranger25L153CID
I looked at the description of the differential on Summit's website and it said it will accept the ABS exciter ring. It said it fits Rangers 1983-2007. How do I make sure I have 28 spline shafts until I take them out or is the only one I should have on my Ranger? I can get all the remaining parts I need discounted and Summit is only 30 mins away from me. I have to return some valve covers there that I didn't want to use on my Charger so I can put that towards it. But I wasn't going to do the labor. This is my only daily driver transportation. Do you know a fair labor price a shop might charge? Will they be able to complete it within a day? Is there any problems they could run into or is it a pretty simple swap out?
Look up the axle code on your truck. It should be on the door jam then I can take a look and tell you if its a 28 spline but it should be, if you have a 7.5 there is no way its a 31 spline. It has the notches on the limited slip to put on the ABS ring so thats not an issue.

You'll probably have to pay for a full gear install and usually thats not that cheap. Do you have a 4wheel parts near you? I've been told they do it for 250. It is a REALLY simple swap to do and it SHOULD be done within a day easily.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:34 PM
xxshine
Senior User
If you want to spend some extra $$ and go with a tru-lock posi, call Currie enterprises in So. Cal. They can fix you up with 31 spline axles, 11 " brakes, custom E. brake cables. I bought a Ford 9 " this way, and told them it was for a Ranger. 8 " of snow doesn't stop me ( with the right tires ).

Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 AM
99offroadrngr
Junior User
Originally Posted by xxshine
If you want to spend some extra $$ and go with a tru-lock posi, call Currie enterprises in So. Cal. They can fix you up with 31 spline axles, 11 " brakes, custom E. brake cables. I bought a Ford 9 " this way, and told them it was for a Ranger. 8 " of snow doesn't stop me ( with the right tires ).
if it wasn't a 7.5 then yeah that would be nice

Old 01-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With the cost of the carrier and everything else, you would probably be better off just getting a later Ranger or Explorer 8.8 axle from the junkyard with a limited slip already in it.