Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2011, 06:24 PM
New User

erpshouse is starting off with a positive reputation.
Misfire of #2 cylinder

Hi, I new to the site and needed some help with my 05 f-150 4.6 I have a misfire code on cylinder #2.. I has 135,000 miles on it. I first changed all the plugs. #2 plug was badly damaged. Prong was melted, looked bad. Though I had it figured out. No such luck! Next was the coil pack. Nada. Pull the plug again tonight, thinking I damaged it putting it in. NO
Plug was slighty wet and black with soot. Any help would be great. Thank you.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Posting Guru

Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.
Possibly a fuel injector is dumping too much fuel if it was wet and sooty.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Elder User

mercman86 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bad injector. But to be safe, I would check the cylinder compression especially since you said that the plug looked damaged. Also, to make sure that injector is getting power from the ECM, rent or buy a NOID light set. It plugs into the injector harness and flashes to simulate the injector pulsing while the engine is running. I got my noid light set from autozone for 25.00. Had this problem on my parents olds. Misfire code popped up but I had great spark and compression.
1966 Falcon Ranchero 200ci I6 FCA#13787
2011 Escape XLS
2012 Mustang V6
Old 01-08-2011, 07:45 PM
New User

Thanks for the help. I'm going to give it a try this weekend. I will post again on the results...Thanks again
Old 01-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Junior User

Person25 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Definatly sounds like an injector. Ive never had the injectors apart on the 4.6l but they should have screens on the inward flow side. they could be clogged. Most of the time you can buy screens or if you are careful and have the right tools you can just clean them yourself. But, it could be a bad injector all together. Either way, detonation of a spark plug is bad, it will detonate again. The wet plug is showing us the mixture in the cylinder is fat, a symptom of injectors not dumping fuel at the proper time, or dumping too much full and is precurser to detonation of the plug....definatly let us know what you find
Old 01-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Elder User

mercman86 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Let us know how it turns out. Detontaion is nothing to ignore, next time it could blow a hole in the piston!
1966 Falcon Ranchero 200ci I6 FCA#13787
2011 Escape XLS
2012 Mustang V6
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 PM
New User

Oh NO

Sorry for the long delay. Special order on the fuel injector. Who knew.
Replaced it out this past weekend. NO luck... Buddy brought over a compression tester. #28 in cylinder 2. What the ...........??? I think this is major and getting out of my league of repairs. Any thoughts??
Old 01-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Posting Guru

Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.
Any oil smoke with this? It might be time to get ahold of a bore scope and have a peak into that cylinder. 28 lbs. definately smells problematic. My bro-in-law had a plug that did that and he had a cylinder that was trashed. He wound up replacing the engine. We surmised that a detonation took place in that cylinder and the plug came apart. The electrode was missing. After looking in the cylinder with the bore scope we found out where that electrode went. Not a pretty sight. Not cheap either.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:47 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
2, 30, 46, 54l, cyl, cylinder, escape, f150, ford, misfire, missfire, number, truck, v8, wet