Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Senior User

Billyclub is starting off with a positive reputation.
John Woods Tow master or Ford HD4R100

I think I already know the answer but I can't help myself. I'm in the midst of making a decision of which transmission to go with and I've narrowed it down to these two. If I could afford BTS I would surely go with that one but the few extra hundred dollars really takes out of range for me. Ed has been super in getting me the info I need and John has been good about taking some time to talk with on the phone. I think both transmissions are going to be a good investment but as always I want the best I can afford. I tow a TT @6600 dry and loaded around 8K. Gonna DP tune when the transmission issue goes away. This is JW's standard everyday towing tranmission.
This place is great for sound advice, thats why I'm a member.
Give me your opinion.
Glenn
6637 Cold Air Intake, A Pillar 3 Gauge POD- EGT, Tranny Temp, Turbo boost. Superchip, Zoo mod. Foil delete, Michelin LTX AT2- 285/75/16, '09 8' bed, Bilstein Shocks, Rebuilt Guzzle fuel bowl
Old 01-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Posting Guru

PwerStroke99 has a good reputation on FTE.PwerStroke99 has a good reputation on FTE.PwerStroke99 has a good reputation on FTE.
U cant go wrong with either, but if it was my choice, John Wood would get my business. he will take care of u
Old 01-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Postmaster

orng1 has a very good reputation on FTE.orng1 has a very good reputation on FTE.orng1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
John woods will build you what you need. If I had the cash I'd go that way.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Postmaster

woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
If you are near JW, I would also go with his Towmaster Transmission. I also spoke with John on the phone when mine was going out, he is the one who suggested I go with the HD4R100 as I did not have the time to allow the trans to be built and shipped, before a long trip with the trailer. I thought it was pretty cool he offered up the idea as even the local dealer's (not Ed) didn't even know about the HD4R100 at the time.

Besides, if you want JW is a DP Tuner dealer IIRC, he can hook you up all the way around!

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Website, HD4R100 , T-500, Melling LPOP, Gen-2 FRx, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Riffraff OCR, , Braided Brake Lines, CAC Boots & Billet Plenums, Aeroforce Scangauge, 4" Diamond Eye, Powerslots, Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, AE, KCM S.S. HPX, S&B Filters intake, Quad pod w/ISSPRO EV2's, Big Head , 6.0L Trans Cooler,
Old 01-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Postmaster

orng1 has a very good reputation on FTE.orng1 has a very good reputation on FTE.orng1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yeah I was there on a test and tune day when he was installing dp tuners and adding changing tunes with Jody.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Posting Guru

cj45lc has a very good reputation on FTE.cj45lc has a very good reputation on FTE.cj45lc has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm very interested in which one you choose & why. I've got 185k on mine & tow a bit more weight than you so I'm thinking I'll have this question to answer sooner than later. I'd just say to go with the best you can afford but the more I think about it I don't know if the Ford trans is bested by the others with the service I'm getting out of mine. For sure I don't know enough about trans to make a judgement & I'm sure the JW or BTS are not a joke but it's a pile of money (to me) that we are talking about. Good luck with your decision & hope it all works out good for you.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:49 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
This is a no-brainer.

John custom machines several hard parts within the trans and has parts cryo treated. The torque convertor he uses is beefed up and upgraded too.

Hands down, any JW build will blow away a factory HD trans.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Posting Guru

milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.milleroutdoors has a very good reputation on FTE.
I am with Stewart, JW trans, sorry Edmo!!

1979 f150 4x4
Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Posting Guru

Brother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to behold
When the 'mods' get into the Thousands of Dollars, it is good to research it from every angle.

My sig line tells you my choice. Money, I believe well spent. I drive in several different applications so it fits the bill. (and burns the tires)

PAA Member #123
1991 F-150 inline 6
2001 F-250 7.3 Crewcab 4x4
BTS-Trans , 6.0 Trans Cooler, SuperChip, K&N Filter
Old 01-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Posting Guru

PwerStroke99 has a good reputation on FTE.PwerStroke99 has a good reputation on FTE.PwerStroke99 has a good reputation on FTE.
It is a known fact that people who have been in this predicament and tried to save a few dolloars with the HD4R100 or another "beefed" up trans other than BTS or JW, ended up spending more money in the long run and wished they would have gone with a BTS or a JW over the others. Take advice from those of us who recommend the JW or the BTS and go with one of those two. it will be the BEST decision u ever make. even with a stock truck i think either one of those two transmissions would be worth it
Old 01-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Senior User

Billyclub is starting off with a positive reputation.
Given i'm probably going to trade her in about 18 monthes I will probably go with the Ford HD. I'm saying this with some trepidation but I think it will suit me fine for 1-2 more summers of towing. If money wasn't the issue then it would be either JW or BTS but it is and my truck is not heavily modded so I think I will be fine. I got 11 years out of the original.
6637 Cold Air Intake, A Pillar 3 Gauge POD- EGT, Tranny Temp, Turbo boost. Superchip, Zoo mod. Foil delete, Michelin LTX AT2- 285/75/16, '09 8' bed, Bilstein Shocks, Rebuilt Guzzle fuel bowl
Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Posting Guru

definitely if u are trading it in, then the HD is for u
Old 01-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Posting Guru

Brother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyclub View Post
Given i'm probably going to trade her in about 18 monthes I will probably go with the Ford HD. I'm saying this with some trepidation but I think it will suit me fine for 1-2 more summers of towing. If money wasn't the issue then it would be either JW or BTS but it is and my truck is not heavily modded so I think I will be fine. I got 11 years out of the original.

If you are going to trade it off, why put the HD in, doesn't ford have a cheapo depo model that will still be under warrenty by the time you get rid of it?

PAA Member #123
1991 F-150 inline 6
2001 F-250 7.3 Crewcab 4x4
BTS-Trans , 6.0 Trans Cooler, SuperChip, K&N Filter
Old 01-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Elder User

Waynenap has a good reputation on FTE.Waynenap has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
If you are going to trade it off, why put the HD in, doesn't ford have a cheapo depo model that will still be under warrenty by the time you get rid of it?
This logic makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:19 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Parts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud of
When my trans took a dump, I had to go will stock OEM cause I couldn't afford either(HEAVY DUTY) one.

so what is best for you is the way to go.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:19 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2001, brother, desiel, duty, ford, hd4r100, ih, john, reviews, super, tansmission, towmaster, towmasters, trans, transmission, wood, woods