Sponsored by: Moser

ignition issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 08:49 AM
Paul Day
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ignition issues

hey folks, Ive been without my truck for well over a week now. i rotate key and she goes to start and it sounds funny, like a fast trying to start but wont, sounds kinda hyper {too fast}.. I assumed it was my aftermarket alarm system?? now i read thx to yall could be actuator... mine is a 2013 5.0... the key doesnt return to run position by itself it stays on start til you manually roll it back. Sounds like what yall are discussing here.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:07 PM
Paul Day
New User
ty for the responses ill give it a go this weekend

Ive got hand controls all on the bottom of the column csnt even ntske plastic off without doing that first, so i reckon itlll be interesting,,,btw i boutght one of those expensive batterys yellow topdeep cycle and sittin for a month flat out drained it. thats not kosheer is it> that gel cell should last damn near forever, so i have a parasite drainage issue to look at afterrwards right? 2nd question am i in trouble with that fancy battery getting drained. i dont know much abt those gel cells or whatever they call em?? icall mine yellow top. thx

Old 09-16-2021, 07:19 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,664 Likes on 2,600 Posts
Hi Paul,

Did you ever get the issues in the ignition worked out? All of this could be explained as an issue in the key assembly/switch. There's apparently something wrong in it since the key won't return to "run" from "start". If it's keeping power to any of the accessories that could also be the battery drain. Taking it apart and replacing the key/switch assembly is where I'd start.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:31 PM
Paul Day
New User
ty

Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
Hi Paul,

Did you ever get the issues in the ignition worked out? All of this could be explained as an issue in the key assembly/switch. There's apparently something wrong in it since the key won't return to "run" from "start". If it's keeping power to any of the accessories that could also be the battery drain. Taking it apart and replacing the key/switch assembly is where I'd start.
no sir, the issue isn't resolved yet, i have to disassemble the hand control first and its a bugger bear runs to firewall and 1/2" under column, for me to even remove the lower plastic sleeve that goes around the ignition switch itself. I'm currently running a trickle charge to my battery now trying to get it re- established. 275 dollar battery drained to nothing. Five Star Ford did s number on me robbed me blind and didn't even stand by the truck and fix it. windshield kicked in side window busted and out of abt 300 vehicles exposed mine was the only one broke into.. thats cuz their mechanic or drive off man was the one who did it. they knee what was inside it so they knew which one to hit. its a shame too, its a nice truck cuz i put a fortune into her. All for them to rob me blind, and tear up a beautiful truck. I've got no use for.a thief theyre the scourge of the Earth. Everyone if them needs to be lined up and shot for all to see, there would be a new understanding, leave things alone if it's not yours.It aint hard to figure out, all our insurance pymnts would drop significantly. And by golly your things will still be there as you left them. I was born a century too late I think. The old ways are good ways hard but fair but it works. This way these days nothing works especially them. Sorry bout that feller, ive got a burr under my saddle.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:41 PM
Paul Day
New User
also

also some have said it could be the actuator rod thats broke could be the reason the key isnt returning to the run position.? I assume its spring driven and if it or the spring is busted then.... so my understanding the whole assy needs to be torn down and if i have to take it all down then whats for certain is this. its getting a new actuator arm broken or not, a new spring, a new ignition switch, a new turn signal module. If im already in there and its a pain in the *** to mess with that hand control then i should do all i can while im there... now that all that big talk is outta the way, now I need to price my list and see just how much i can bite off on a fixed income. instead of a mighty roar, it might just be a lil squeak that you hear. lol

Old 09-17-2021, 07:21 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,664 Likes on 2,600 Posts
The turn signal switch takes about 10 minutes if that's all you're doing. Had to replace one on my '14, and now have to replace on on my 2000 Excursion, too. Unless you feel there's something wrong with it save yourself a few bucks and keep the old one. If you discover that you do need to replace it, it's not a big deal.