1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Sound System in a 82' F150 Reg. Cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:52 PM
stilrich
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Sound System in a 82' F150 Reg. Cab

I am putting a pioneer head unit and four speakers in my truck, also going in are 2 12 inch kicker subwoofers and a sony 600w powered amplifier.

I am trying to decide where to put the amp,either under the seat or on the back wall of the cab. And the best way to do all of the wiring.

If anyone out there has put audio into their truck i would appreciate any input on the subject.

Thanks, stilrich

(P.S.- I know it is sacrilige to change the dash but it was already really messed up anyway)

Old 12-30-2010, 08:43 AM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My amp went under the seat. How are planning on fitting two 12s in a regular cab truck? The biggest I could fit and still have enough leg room were two 8s in custom boxes behind the seat.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
The instructions for the amp tell you this, but who follows instructions? I found out the hard way. Make sure you run your RCA cables far away from the power wiring for the amp. It is so tempting to bundle both together and run them down the rocker or under the seat together, but you will really get a lot of noise that way through the speakers. Run the power down the rocker and run the RCA's down the middle over the hump. I would also keep the RCA's away from the truck's power wiring running down the driver's side rocker panel also.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 AM
stilrich
Junior User
The two 12s are kicker comp VRs and are shallow enough to fit in truck boxes. they really dont take up much room at all.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:00 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post some pics when you get it done....

Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 PM
stilrich
Junior User
I will. The system is going in tommorow so in the evening i will put some pictures up.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
stilrich: Where'd you get that system?

Walmart? $85.00?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:49 PM
stilrich
Junior User
i bought that one wicked and kept the speakers but traded the head for the upgraded one of the same type.

Its a heck of a deal.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Yeah it is.

I just put that in my truck the other day!

Those 4 speakers alone, if set right... loud as $^%#

Great sound in that little reg. cab.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:10 PM
stilrich
Junior User
I have to say though, i am afraid of things rattling apart...

Old 12-30-2010, 06:54 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I'd be curious to see your subwoofer placement. I'm not really a sound system guy but I have an Alpine head unit that cleanly goes in the dash, some cheapy 200 watt amp mounted on the cab wall in back (Supercab) and two Alpine type R in the doors. A small sub would be nice but I can't figure anywhere to put it and have it hidden. Space for gear and such in teh cab of a truck is limited as you know, and I'm not willing to have a box laying around taking up space. Hiding under a seat could be possible with some minor floor pan modification, but I would worry about water or mud as every now and again I go deep enough to get some in the cab.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Originally Posted by cadunkle
I'd be curious to see your subwoofer placement. I'm not really a sound system guy but I have an Alpine head unit that cleanly goes in the dash, some cheapy 200 watt amp mounted on the cab wall in back (Supercab) and two Alpine type R in the doors. A small sub would be nice but I can't figure anywhere to put it and have it hidden. Space for gear and such in teh cab of a truck is limited as you know, and I'm not willing to have a box laying around taking up space. Hiding under a seat could be possible with some minor floor pan modification, but I would worry about water or mud as every now and again I go deep enough to get some in the cab.

What about taking out the ash tray and mounting it underneath there? I put one of my speakers there, and I can't even see it!

Old 12-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Subs are like TV antennas. Yes they make small ones, but the ones that work the best are the biggest ugliest ones you can get.

You will be disappointed in a small subwoofer, if there is such a thing. The problem is the low frequencies have a long wavelength. So larger diameter speakers with larger boxes are more effcient in reproducing the longer lower frequencies.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:26 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a sony head unit with two 6x9 3 way speakers and one amplified 8 inch Bazooka tube behind the seat. It has all the range I need to sound good in the truck. The door speakers are not even installed. I love the Bazooka with the amp built in. They are cheap also.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:46 PM
stilrich
Junior User
cadunkle, I would check ebay. there are a lot of custom enclosures out there that are made for extended cab trucks. At my local tinting\car audio shop they have a floor enclosure made from a thick ABS style plastic that is used for boats. Maybe something along those lines would work.

As far as mounting under the ashtray, that could possibly work for an eight inch sub, but i think you could get a lot of dashboard rattle and distortion from the electrical components in the dash.

Quick Reply: Sound System in a 82' F150 Reg. Cab