1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Chip is back in!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:49 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip is back in!

Ok guys, So I was able to get my chip back in place today and went to start it. Keep in mind its ten degrees out. It started and ran terribly. So i plugged it in for an hour and started it again, This time it ran good. Put it in high idle for 5 minutes and it smoked white with a hint of blue the entire time. Went to drive it, under acceleration it still smoked blue. It stopped smoking once i drove it down the street. However if i locked out OD and stepped on it, it would smoke blue with a mix of black in it. Is this because it was ten degrees or am i having an issue here? I dont have a scanner. It ran good other than that. Also, i just changed oil two days ago. Thats really all i've done to the truck for a while. It has been in warmer climate the last couple weeks but not by much, Maybe in the 20's and 30's. This was the first night its sat in 0* temps.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:22 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
I'd say it's the temperature. Any smoke once the engine got to operating temp?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:28 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Not much. When i'd lock out OD and punch it, it was like a gray color(black with a hint of blue.) If i punched it in OD i would get black. Just keeping constant speed no smoke.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:08 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I agree, cold weather. OR, you say you haven't done much to your truck lately? Its like a puppy, its acting out because your not paying any attention to it, LOL!! Give it a new toy, like a new turbo or something!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:13 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
I fill it up all the time!!! That's all the attention my checkbook can handle!!! Ok, I hope it is the cold weather. It ran pretty good with the chip in. I hope it lasts. I was just worried the blue smoke was hanging around a little longer than it was supposed to. I just wanted to make sure this is normal in this cold **** weather.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:22 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
10° or not, after its up to Normal operating temp, all that should be irrelivant. if its doing its after 10 to 15 minutes then id say you have a pressure issue of some sort. or an oil oring issure someweres. but if this is concerning you after 5 minutes on a stone cold pig then dont worry about it! mines a tad skippy on freezing days, 10 minutes later and she runs like the day it came off the lot!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:28 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
It ran great once i got it warmed up. Just the colored smoke when i punched it once about 30mph. Other than that, it ran clear and only black smoke under heavy acceleration. But not even much of that... I asked Tony to keep it respectable and also do what he could to take care of my transmission.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:43 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
Oh your golden then don't worry about it. These trucks ate pigs on the cold with bigger injectors, the difference I noticed on cold temps with 1s last winter and 2s this winter is rediculous

Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Mines doing this with stock injectors the colder it gets the worst it gets but after it clears up it all good

Old 01-06-2011, 06:04 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Ok cool. I was mostly worried because i know blue smoke = burnt oil... and with the new injectors, it had new injector orings, so i was scared maybe i have bad rings. I am looking into getting the motor compression tested that way i can sleep better at night.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:46 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Talking

If in the beginning were you hinting that this "Problem" was incident to the chip? If so did you remove the chip and see if the same set of circumstances still exist?

Just a thought.

Rog

Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kawa
If in the beginning were you hinting that this "Problem" was incident to the chip? If so did you remove the chip and see if the same set of circumstances still exist?

Just a thought.

Rog
I'm not real concerned that its a chip thing that would cause the blue smoke... My concern is if the cold was making it smoke blue more than normal. I don't see it being an issue with the chip. But that is a thought, maybe i will take the chip out once it stops being crappy outside. Thanks

Old 01-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Mine does the blue smoke when its cold too.

I really think its just the tint in the glass playing tricks on my eyes.
I cannot hang my head out the window and watch while i mat it and steer the truck.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:57 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So once it's up to operating temp or at least close to it, all you get is black? No hint of white or blue smoke? Tuning can cause smoke to be like this, BUT it would do it all the time, no matter the temp.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
It was the cold weather and being in the single digits. It finally cleared up enough for me to want to go play with it this afternoon. It started right up being about 30 degrees outside and light blue haze upon start up. Started driving and it immediately went away. After that point, it was only black smoke when i was goosing it. Seems to be running pretty good. I just need to take it easy on the truck because I'm not sure that the transmission is too happy with my injectors and chip...

Quick Reply: Chip is back in!