6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Ohio truck meet results WITH VIDEO!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Ohio truck meet results WITH VIDEO!

So, as many of you have read in THIS THREAD, a bunch of us got together yesterday in Millersburg, OH to conduct a repeat of our previous meets.

Here's who came out and towed the hill:

Crazy001(Tom) - 2011 F350 XLT 6.7L PSD, 3.55 axles
Monster-4(Mike) - 2000 F250 Lariat 6.8L V10, 3.73 axles
i eat hybrids(Matt) - 2006 F350 XLT 6.0L PSD, 3.73 axles
rickatic(Rick) - 2011 F350 Lariat 6.7L PSD, 3.73 axles
Senix (Scott) - 2008 F250 Lariat 6.4L PSD, 3.73 axles
KC8QVO(Steve) - 2010 F250 Lariat, 6.4L PSD, 3.55 axles

And who came out and did not tow -

Maxium4x4(John) - 2003 F250 XLT 6.0L PSD, 3.55 axles
HarleyScooter(Scott) - 2011 F250 Lariat 6.2L gas, 3.73 axles

We took my trailer, which weighs 3,500 lbs empty, and loaded my Dad's 2010 F150 into it. We then threw in another 2,300 lbs of bagged sand and wood pellets. I estimated the weight to be 11,200 lbs. We weighed it at the end of the day:

Note that this weight is including tongue weight, we unhooked from Matt's truck and put the axles and trailer jack on the scale. Here's a pic with the entire truck on the scale:

All runs were done in 4WD due to traction concerns with all the rain. We started out with my truck, as I was hooked up when we got there. We did several runs, but I'm going to only post the fastest one:

YouTube - M2U00083

Top speed was 56 MPH at the crest of the hill.

I'm sorry we didn't catch the very beginning of that one, we took a LOT of video and had to keep moving due to how many trucks we had to run. We also took a video of going down the hill with my truck, hoping to catch the exhaust brake in action:

YouTube - M2U00082

A little disappointing to be honest, I was expecting a bit more. I guess nothing is perfect!

During all of this, Mike's neighbor Chad with a tuned Dodge/Cummins truck sent him a text message asking "Do you really need all those Fords to tow that one trailer?" So we invited him out, suggesting he either put up or shut up. He took the challenge, so we went back and hooked up his Dodge:

He was tuned with what he thinks is a 100 HP tune, and he did not have gauges. Mike and I hopped in and rode over to the hill, everyone else piled in another two trucks and followed us over.

He started the hill blowing LOTS of smoke:

YouTube - M2U00084

IT BROKE!

We aren't sure what happened yet, but we made it to the top of the hill and something gave out. After we stopped recording we came to a stop and checked it out, thinking maybe it just reduced power after getting too hot. Unfortunately this wasn't he case, after cooling off he was throwing lots of smoke and had no power. Rick brought his truck up to pick up the trailer at the top of the hill and Mike and Chad nursed the broken truck home.

Here's a video of him pulling away after it broke, along with some assorted commentary!

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edi...ext=/my_videos

We think it may have been a turbo, but the engine was making a knocking noise on the way back. We hope to find out this week what went wrong.

So the rest of us in Rick's truck headed down the hill and tried again. Rick was anxious to see how his truck would do in 2WD with his e-locker engaged. I was skeptical, thinking it may not make it with the wet roads, but it did an amazing job:

YouTube - MVI 6976

After running one more time in 4WD we headed back to Mike's house for some lunch. After lunch we started with Mike's truck.

YouTube - M2U00086

This run was slower than the previous times we've done it, but we had more weight this time. Remember that with all of us in the truck we were overloaded by over 2,000 lbs! One thing to consider here is how well his cooling system did. His ScanGauge showed that his cooling system peaked at 197° and the transmission peaked at 202°.

We then ran the two 6.4L trucks, both with similar results. First was Scott's truck:

YouTube - MVI 6994

And here were his max values after completing the run. We think the max speed of 53 was attained after the crest of the hill, 50 MPH was our best guess for peak speed going up the hill:

And then was Steve's truck:

YouTube - M2U00087

Both did a great job and were very close even though Scott had 3.73s and Steve had 3.55s, yet their speeds were almost identical.

Next up was Matt's 2006 6.0L PSD truck:

YouTube - M2U00089

This truck did a great job, and actually did just as well as the 6.4l trucks. We're not sure why this is, maybe because at 103,000 miles it's a bit more broken in.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

During Scott's 6.4L run John and Matt took off in his tuned 6.0L truck to have some fun while unloaded. During this run it looks like John's turbo bearings gave out. Matt jumped in with us and John nursed the truck over 100 miles back home to Findlay. The truck wouldn't do over 45 MPH the whole way, it must have been a long ride back.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, we had a great time. With any luck Chad and John's trucks will be back on the road soon. All the other trucks ran pretty much as expected.

Mike and Steve shot all the video. Steve, Matt, and Scott's wife Debbie took all the pictures.

I want to thank everyone for coming out. Most of us came from several hours away for this, and having this much participation really made it great.

I'm real busy today, but as I have time I'm going to clean up the pictures and video as well as post more as I get them in.

We're hoping to do this again soon!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 AM
AGE mechanic
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice. Looks like fun.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 AM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Bcause I own a 6.0, I was curious, just how bad did the new tech whoop up on it? Also how did the Cummins do? My computer is very slow, so watching all the vids takes along time. This test is a really neet meet and greet, and I want to thank all of the participants for all the efforts!

Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 2006lariat
Bcause I own a 6.0, I was curious, just how bad did the new tech whoop up on it?
Not that much, to be honest. Matt's un-tuned 6.0L hit 32 MPH at the steepest part of the hill and 50 MPH at the crest. For comparison my 6.7L hit 36 MPH at the steepest part and 56 MPH at the crest.

There is less of a difference between a 6.0L and 6.7L than there is a 7.3L to a 6.0L. A large part of that is the transmission; the 5R110 is a great transmission!

Originally Posted by 2006lariat
Also how did the Cummins do?
It did great until it blew. Pulled harder than the 6.0L and 6.4Ls, but that's because it was tuned. But I'm pretty sure that tuner was the reason for it's demise...

Old 01-02-2011, 11:30 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001

It did great until it blew. Pulled harder than the 6.0L and 6.4Ls, but that's because it was tuned. But I'm pretty sure that tuner was the reason for it's demise...
Did you happen to see what the EGT's were on the 5.9 before it went "poof"? Judging from that cloud of soot coming out of it I'll bet they were really up there.

Great job on putting all of this together, btw

Old 01-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
Did you happen to see what the EGT's were on the 5.9 before it went "poof"? Judging from that cloud of soot coming out of it I'll bet they were really up there.
He had no gauges so we have no way of knowing. Had he installed an EGT gauge and known how to use it he likely wouldn't have broken anything.

For the record, John(Maxium4x4) told me he wouldn't even consider pulling that hill while tuned.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi, what is this you used for collecting the results?
Is it on a computer or one of the OBD plug-ins like Dashdaq, Edge etc?
Thanks.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:44 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Im pretty sure there wasn't any gauge for EGT's on the cummins. It was smoking pretty good. Smoke was even hanging around a good while after they rounded the turn and were up the hill.

Only a few people had gauges, I did not but maybe I'll get a gauge. That one Senix has is slick with the max values recording. Very useful when you can't watch the gauge going down the road.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Piolet
Hi, what is this you used for collecting the results?
Is it on a computer or one of the OBD plug-ins like Dashdaq, Edge etc?
Thanks.
This is the Banks IQ unit, which goes with their 6-gun tuner. This was my favorite gauge set that I saw there.

Mike and I have ScanGauge IIs, Matt had an Edge Insight CTS. We used what was on the truck; we did not move gauges around. Wish we could have though...

Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Again... This was an excellent test and I enjoyed every minute of those videos.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:14 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
really cool. so only the cummins and v10 were running a tune and the rest were stock (ish)??

Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
This is the Banks IQ unit, which goes with their 6-gun tuner. This was my favorite gauge set that I saw there.

Mike and I have ScanGauge IIs, Matt had an Edge Insight CTS. We used what was on the truck; we did not move gauges around. Wish we could have though...
Currently the IQ unit has to be used with the 6-gun. Banks has been saying they are working on a stand alone. It just plugs in the OBD port.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:25 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My trucks completely stock. I woulda swapped out my CTS into other trucks, but every time i unplug it from the OBD2 port, it completely wipes it out and i have to reprogram everything! Which takes 30 mins to get it to the way i want it to be

Old 01-02-2011, 07:59 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Dam I wish this was closer so Matt and I could finally have our grudge race we have been talking about having forever. Would have loved to run that hill in the 6.4 with the 275 race tune

Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
Dam I wish this was closer so Matt and I could finally have our grudge race we have been talking about having forever. Would have loved to run that hill in the 6.4 with the 275 race tune
My rigs stock so that race would be unfair.. And runnin that hill with a 275 tune = another new motor for you lmao

Quick Reply: Ohio truck meet results WITH VIDEO!