Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Post a Pic of Your Ride!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 01:55 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does look good

My bronco is similar to your bug, the PO did a half *** resto. He painted it and the scheme looks cool, the paint quality is crap. All the wiring has been cut at some point and most of it was twisted together then wrapped in tape.

The super, cost me $400 I think. The PO towed it home for me too, and after forgetting the rear seat at his house, he drove that down as well. He owned it for 3 days before realizing he didn't know jack about vws. The owner before him didn't give him much info which in turn he didn't give me much info.

The bronco, the PO lied about a lot of stuff too. The intake, tailgate, all kinds of stuff. But I love it. I've had a few fleeting thoughts about getting rid of it so I don't have it wasting away but I know it's a bad idea.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:32 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Jameson, for PS, get a complete serpentine setup off a van with a 300. It would give you a Saginaw pump and a 3G upgrade in one shot, plus the benefit of Serpentine.

Harvey, if you want manual steering just disconnect the PS hoses. That way when you get sick of fighting to do a 3 point turn you can hook it back up and laugh at what a mistake downgrading to manual steering was. haha.

I'll post pictures of some of the 32 cars I've had in the last 11 years....
That's a good idea, but I'm going to be sticking with manual steering

Old 11-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Harvey_Dentside
New User
Haha I suppose, although a non-functional power steering unit is not quite the same as a manual unit. 3-point turns were hilarious in my '72, but I like the simplicity of it, and having one fewer point of potential failure. I like my trucks to be so simple I can keep them going after the apocalypse. No power steering pump/belt, one less thing I have to secure in the new Mad Max world.

Sorry, these are the things I spend my time thinking about. But really, a carbed 300 4x4 really is the best apocalypse truck of them all!

Also, GruesomeJeans, keep that Bronco! The way I see it, a crap resto is just an opportunity to save the poor little guy from a dubious fate and re-restore it to a higher standard. If we ever end up in a place with a garage/shop, we're gonna tear down and rebuild that little Beetle, and do it right! Take your time and don't give up, and your Bronco will improve. Keep in mind its rarity too. It's not easy to find a replacement.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:48 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Harvey_Dentside
Haha I suppose, although a non-functional power steering unit is not quite the same as a manual unit. 3-point turns were hilarious in my '72, but I like the simplicity of it, and having one fewer point of potential failure. I like my trucks to be so simple I can keep them going after the apocalypse. No power steering pump/belt, one less thing I have to secure in the new Mad Max world.

Sorry, these are the things I spend my time thinking about. But really, a carbed 300 4x4 really is the best apocalypse truck of them all!

Also, GruesomeJeans, keep that Bronco! The way I see it, a crap resto is just an opportunity to save the poor little guy from a dubious fate and re-restore it to a higher standard. If we ever end up in a place with a garage/shop, we're gonna tear down and rebuild that little Beetle, and do it right! Take your time and don't give up, and your Bronco will improve. Keep in mind its rarity too. It's not easy to find a replacement.
Yeah I know it's rare, and I do have an undying love for the thing, but I feel bad since it's just sitting there. Unfortunately I make things difficult for myself. If I get moved out to my own house, I can borrow tools from my parents, like the cherry picker, and pull the motor. Then when I have random pistons and rods laying everywhere, no one can get angry at me

In reality I'll probably pull the motor and do a minor rebuild, seals, gaskets etc. Then save my money for a fully built motor. The 351M isn't bad but it's old and worn.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:00 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Well I'm sure the 80-86 guys are sick of seeing me post the same pictures over there so I figured I'd post some here for a change. My 1986 F250 XL.

232,000 miles. Rebuilt engine, rebuilt rear axle. Transmission still appears original. Daily driver. 351W C6 10.25 Sterling with open 3.55's.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:28 AM
lucky_thirteen
Senior User
Chevy luv

Old 11-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Harvey_Dentside
New User
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Yeah I know it's rare, and I do have an undying love for the thing, but I feel bad since it's just sitting there. Unfortunately I make things difficult for myself. If I get moved out to my own house, I can borrow tools from my parents, like the cherry picker, and pull the motor. Then when I have random pistons and rods laying everywhere, no one can get angry at me

In reality I'll probably pull the motor and do a minor rebuild, seals, gaskets etc. Then save my money for a fully built motor. The 351M isn't bad but it's old and worn.
That's always been my biggest problem. My parents never liked my car obsession and would only let me keep one at their place, which meant it had to be a DD and not a project. I've been out on my own for a while, but never in a house, so I feel ya man. Right now I live in an RV in a park that has rules against working on your stuff.

They don't seem to care too much, as long as you don't disassemble the vehicle/pull engines/anything to do with spillable liquids (no oil changes )

Plus it's bloody cold! I don't wanna go out there and work on the truck outside! I need a shop!

Originally Posted by FordFETruck
Well I'm sure the 80-86 guys are sick of seeing me post the same pictures over there so I figured I'd post some here for a change. My 1986 F250 XL.

232,000 miles. Rebuilt engine, rebuilt rear axle. Transmission still appears original. Daily driver. 351W C6 10.25 Sterling with open 3.55's.
Very nice! I've always liked that gen truck. My buddy had an '80 2wd with the 351W and it was lots of fun.

Also, I spent last winter up through this summer working at a community farm in Oregon, and their two main farm trucks were both '86 F250 XLTs (ext cab) with 460s, C6s, and 4wd. They were literally identical other than color. I always thought they were a handful on the road and the 460 of the time period is disappointingly anemic, but the torque was always there and they worked great offroad, especially considering the stock tires.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:56 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Harvey_Dentside
That's always been my biggest problem. My parents never liked my car obsession and would only let me keep one at their place, which meant it had to be a DD and not a project. I've been out on my own for a while, but never in a house, so I feel ya man. Right now I live in an RV in a park that has rules against working on your stuff.

They don't seem to care too much, as long as you don't disassemble the vehicle/pull engines/anything to do with spillable liquids (no oil changes )

Plus it's bloody cold! I don't wanna go out there and work on the truck outside! I need a shop!

Very nice! I've always liked that gen truck. My buddy had an '80 2wd with the 351W and it was lots of fun.

Also, I spent last winter up through this summer working at a community farm in Oregon, and their two main farm trucks were both '86 F250 XLTs (ext cab) with 460s, C6s, and 4wd. They were literally identical other than color. I always thought they were a handful on the road and the 460 of the time period is disappointingly anemic, but the torque was always there and they worked great offroad, especially considering the stock tires.
Thanks! tonight some yahoo thought he could try and run me off the road after making a left hand turn and I was in the middle of changing lanes. Showed that little car who was boss. I've never seen this truck downshift all the way to first at 25 MPH before. I'll be damned if he didn't hear that engine wind up! some people man...

As far as rebuilding engines in your parents garage. You can go to most parts stores and buy a long block for about the price you can do it all yourself. The quality of some long blocks however isn't the best.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Determined99F350
New User
Wow, 8 days to go till I can participate

Old 11-18-2014, 11:34 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Matthew- That bull nose looks pretty sharp for the age and mileage. Is that OE paint too?

Old 11-18-2014, 11:38 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Matthew- That bull nose looks pretty sharp for the age and mileage. Is that OE paint too?
It's OE paint except for the hood, top of the cab and tailgate. The front sides of the truck are chekcered and faded badly. It needs a paint job.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:42 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Just for the record, here's what the tailgate used to look like.

I did all the work myself, welded up the trim panel holes. Did the body work as good as I could. Missed one minor dent and the top had some crease dents that I couldn't fully get out. When the tailgate gets lined the crease dents that are barely there anymore will get covered up pretty good. Rust free tailgate though. Paint job isn't perfect on it, but it matches and looks perfect from 15 feet.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:37 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
In terms of the engine thing Harvey mentioned, even if he had a long block the RV Park wouldn't let him build the engine. Unless maybe it was inside the RV?

I've got 2 cars currently, the 78 bronco and my 87 GT stang. Both are big projects that need a lot to be complete. They don't necessarily mind that I have them but I'd like to have a place of my own to hold them a shop would be nice but I am young, no credit, little money... I can't even get a loan till probably April next year.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:47 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
I never hardly spend any money on myself, so I always have money for truck stuff. I live by a motto. The hell with your jerk family members (most all of mine are) and keep the money for yourself. You earned it. Besides that, when I do make money. I do labor work. I work a bit too hard for my money to be giving it away or wasting it on stupid stuff all the time.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:51 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
It's a bit differemt, most of my family past the ones I live with are sort of... disconnected. My immediate family though, we all get along great and I figure since they've supported me for 22 years, it's my turn to start helping. They can kick back a little. Among family stuff, I've got other interests aside from cars, for an example, I just received an I'll record player from a friend. So now I'm spending a little here and there on records and parts. You could say I'm not 100% committed to project cars. It isn't that I don't like to work on them, I just like to have other avenues of hobbies.

Quick Reply: Post a Pic of Your Ride!!!