6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

THANK YOU...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
THANK YOU...

Mike at 5star tuning!! If anyone on here with the 6.2 is less than satisfied with the stock parameters on their truck, the SCT tuner is a must (no I don't work for 5star or SCT). I ordered mine with the 87 and 93 oct. economy tunes and the 93 performance/tow haul tune. So far I have only used the 87 economy, but still, what a difference, far less sluggish. A worth while investment for sure, not to mention the beer cozy and T-shirt, thanks again!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:38 PM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to getting mine, should be delivered on Tue. I got the 87 tow, economy and performance tunes loaded. Going to try and run the perf tun (unless towing heavy) and see how the mpgs go.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:19 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Thumbs up

Sweet thanks for your feedback.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Hey Mike-
A quick question about your tuners, if I may- Do you see mileage gains at all different tuning levels, or mostly just with the Economy Tune. A little clarification by you will go a long way, and I'm sure(or hope) others would like to know, too. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:06 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Lots a variables in Economy as we all know. The Economy base calibration is just that its base is very stockish with some tweaks to try to improve economy. A Performance base calibration is about power and torque when driver commands it at any time in RPM range... If the driver can be easy on the go pedal you can pick up economy, since we command max torque at lighter throttle positions. With that said gains could be same on both.. The X3's hold 3 calibrations so you can have both calibrations on device to fit your driving style.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Thanks! Kinda what I thought to be true.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Technocrsr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmdb
Lots a variables in Economy as we all know. The Economy base calibration is just that its base is very stockish with some tweaks to try to improve economy. A Performance base calibration is about power and torque when driver commands it at any time in RPM range... If the driver can be easy on the go pedal you can pick up economy, since we command max torque at lighter throttle positions. With that said gains could be same on both.. The X3's hold 3 calibrations so you can have both calibrations on device to fit your driving style.

Thats some good inf. #5 thanks, I gas up in Iowa a lot and always get the 89.5 (includes 10% etanol) now if I may ask, will this have a negative on the mpg on this engine (stock) compared to 87 ($.10 more/G)

I use to have a DP tuner on my 7.3 and the stock tune was good for me, a lot differend from factory stock and 19 mpg ave.

Also thanks to the OP for posting a clear opinion.

I don't have my truck yet but like to know all details and opinion about what is best for the engine to perform correctly and economic.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Mike, I've been lurking and very interested in your tuner. A little disappointed that you can improve so much over stock. Good for you as you obviously know what you are doing, but I'm surprised that the Ford engineers couldn't do better.

The recent questions have covered some I had, but would you mind addressing wear and tear? What I mean by that is I read your shift strategies change the shift points, and that makes sense. I even like the recent suggestion to shift the 6th gear shift down to 51mph. That too makes sense as I compare my driving around Kodiak which doesn't get about 55mph very often. The wear and tear I'm wondering about comes from hearing the shift speed. Sounds like you create a snappier shift, which in my mind could create harder stress on the drivetrain.

I'd like to hear how you balance performance and keep from causing a potential increase in drivetrain failures. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:59 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Thanks KodiakF250
There is more power and torque avail with a tune but keep in mind we also work on real world drive ability issues that are present and correct them. As an example the shift strategies for a big truck do not need to come in real low especially when the peak torque of the engine is 4500 rpms. Correcting power delivery with right shift and torque converter lock up strategies makes the truck run out very well. It all works together to have a solid calibration that can be used everyday.
Also keep in mind we are just using what Ford left on the table for power. As an example our 87 perf/tow tunes use the stock timing tables, no advance at all and still makes more power than factory. Its the computer nanny holding truck back. I am positive you have nothing to worry about for issues the same trans and running gear is used behind the 6.7 diesel , plus thats why we bought a $40k truck to use in our development.

If you want to talk more about just give us a call
Mike

Old 01-08-2011, 07:24 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Thank you for the good reply Mike! I'm double dipping you with questions as I also sent you an email via your web site before I posted the previous post......different topic though. At some point I expect I will give you a call because I like what I've read about your product.A lot of informative reports on here.

Provided my question isn't too extensive, I rather like posting them on here because your responses benefit all the readers......just like I benefitted from reading about a lot of other great 6.2L stuff on here.

Your mentioning the transmission's dual use was one of my reassurances when I looked at Ford's new packages. You're right, if it is designed to handle the increased torque of the 6.7L, then the 6.2L shouldn't hurt it. I just wasn't sure if you had tuned the shifts to (for lack of a better term) snap the transmission gear shifts more harshly.

Thanks, Mike

Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Radioactive 4x4
Senior User
Originally Posted by KodiakF250
Thank you for the good reply Mike! I'm double dipping you with questions as I also sent you an email via your web site before I posted the previous post......different topic though. At some point I expect I will give you a call because I like what I've read about your product.A lot of informative reports on here.

Provided my question isn't too extensive, I rather like posting them on here because your responses benefit all the readers......just like I benefitted from reading about a lot of other great 6.2L stuff on here.

Your mentioning the transmission's dual use was one of my reassurances when I looked at Ford's new packages. You're right, if it is designed to handle the increased torque of the 6.7L, then the 6.2L shouldn't hurt it. I just wasn't sure if you had tuned the shifts to (for lack of a better term) snap the transmission gear shifts more harshly.

Thanks, Mike
From my understanding, the line pressure is increased to the tranny which makes it shift snappier but that snappy is actually the tranny getting down to business and doing what it is suppose to do rather than "sliding" into the next gear which is actually slipping cluthes so that people have a nice foo-foo cushy shift into the next gear. I've had old Fords with C6 trannies that, even when stock, you felt them go into the next gear the way that a truck should. These new trucks all shift like cars because that is what the masses want. I don't want to have to wear a neck brace for when my truck shifts but I don't want my cluches slipping either just so it's "cushy". Just my 2sense

Old 01-09-2011, 06:02 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
thanks guys, We do calibrate the trans in our tunes. However, we don't increase any pressures in our calibrations. You wont get any neck whipping shift with our tunes. Ford does a really good job and actually these trans shift fairly firm from the factory. We work with more torque and timers, related stuff in the trans with our calibrations.

Mike

Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Radioactive 4x4
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordmdb
thanks guys, We do calibrate the trans in our tunes. However, we don't increase any pressures in our calibrations. You wont get any neck whipping shift with our tunes. Ford does a really good job and actually these trans shift fairly firm from the factory. We work with more torque and timers, related stuff in the trans with our calibrations.

Mike
Thanks for clarifying Mike. I was just recalling from when I was looking at tuners when I owned a 01 GMC (gasp) 2500HD with the 8.1L and Allison trans. back in 05-06.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Radioactive 4x4
Thanks for clarifying Mike. I was just recalling from when I was looking at tuners when I owned a 01 GMC (gasp) 2500HD with the 8.1L and Allison trans. back in 05-06.
Ahh ok , a former GM er

Old 01-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Yeah, it's always nice when someone sees the light, huh? Sooo heartwarming......