1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How many here actually drive your trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:29 PM
mark914
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my 56 registered in 2005, was about 85% "done" mostly just needed some interior work. have put on 5000 miles since . drive it primarily from april - november, but do take it around the block in the winter...

Mark

Old 01-01-2011, 09:34 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
nice to hear all the old trucks that are still out there..my 54' surfaced last summer got it road legal 3 weeks ago and have nearly 150 miles on her..5 to 10 miles at a time..as things fall off or start working it has been fun ,,but I am seeing more road where the floor should be...this truck is giveing me the drive to get my 68 Ranchero together..the 79 bronco 428 powered was a daily toy but the 87 crew cab needs attention...right now the 54 is sanity...

Old 01-01-2011, 10:10 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by HD74
This year I hope to put more than that on it with a trip planed to Salem, Or. this summer. Again not a daily driver but a driver.
Hey Marty, on your way to Salem, hang a right at Hermiston, over the river about 30 miles, and say hi!

Good to see you here again!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 PM
HD74
Elder User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Hey Marty, on your way to Salem, hang a right at Hermiston, over the river about 30 miles, and say hi!

Good to see you here again!
That's would be great Wayne. Sometime around June 26th I'll give you a heads-up as I get closer.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My truck is drivable, but it's got a ways till she's daily drivable. Right now I'm waiting on all the parts I need to do it (powertrain, axles, tires). My goal is to have her be a truck that I use every single day. And that includes nasty Wyoming winters. I want that truck that gets you anywhere during anything, doesn't do me any good to have it just sit there and look pretty.

This is old truck country, unfortunately more Chevy than Ford, but lots of old trucks out and about. You see a lot of trucks out on nice days, but there are a few guys who drive theirs no matter what the weather, green '52, blue '55 and a couple others. I love seeing them on the road, I really don't think every vintage truck should be cherried, it makes the day better just seeing something cool and unusual do something every day like driving to the store.

Plus...if you can do it all yourself, it really is a lot cheaper than something new in the long run, lol.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive it every day....that it's not raining.

As soon as the side glass is in, it will be driven every day, period.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:31 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
driver but not a long trip driver

i got mine in november las year,so 2 months ago with the rear end unattached and a running engine,,,,all i did was redo the rear suspension,get rid of the extreme cnoch and reinforce it clean and paint the cab new tires and i am proud to say that the ride is smooth bit kinda scary with some bumper steer and a loose steering box,,,,but i drive it around town and i get lots of thumbs ups and compliments even tho it looks like something satan would drive,,,i dont have any working gauges but maybe i put 100 miles since i got it running again

Old 01-02-2011, 05:35 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up Im more tired than the trucks

My three plowed 2 days straight in our recent blizzard!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:09 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by big job
My three plowed 2 days straight in our recent blizzard!
Wow, you have a nice big truck fleet. It makes me feel good to see these old beauties out working hard today. Sixty years from now, I don't think you will see any 2010 models out working, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 50's model on the road. Of course that is assuming it is legal to drive them in 2070... I'll be 102, so I doubt I will make it that far out...

Old 01-02-2011, 07:10 AM
maverickman514
Senior User
with any luck, my 56 F100 will see the road in 2012, if not sooner.... all I have is a chopped cab shell and a doghouse and a 78 F100 chassis waiting to be mated, and some form of glass added, and I will drive it as much as possible while making desired changes... but my son's 86 RX7 with a 96 Ford 4.6 has to get done, and summer will have me back on the bike, which will eventually find it's way into the bed of the EFFIE.... but the truck will probably be driven year round, road conditions permitting.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bought my 42 in very early 80's in parts and boxes. only had 3100 miles, (legit), but lord only knows how many hours. took it to the frame and rebuilt all but underdrive. i went through all this work just so i could use it in the snow! i carry big diesel engines and trans from shop to shop, all in same town, and occasionally to a show. but this is my snow machine. don't put lots of mileage on, as i stay local, but have never had snow i can't get through!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:59 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine was built to drive.I can't see putting all the time and $ into something that I would just sit and look at.It was finished in April of 08 and I got rid of my Tundra August of 09,so it has been my daily from then on.I think you have to decide long before you start building on what you want when your finished.Mine has 351W,C6,9 inch 370 rear,Toyota PS,AC,and disk brakes.She will run the roads as well as any new truck,and after it was all done the cost was less than a new truck.Also the 54 gets more attention than any new truck would.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a number of trucks-four. And they all run and are licensed and insured. But now that I'm retired---and on a low budget--I don't drive much or build anything. In the 90's I had a 48 truck that I used as my principal everyday driver and as a work truck in my cleaning business. It had a ladder rack and extension ladders plus tools etc. I dont' think I drive all my trucks in total more than 5,000 miles a year. And its been that way since retiring in 2007. I even ride the bus when I can. I get a monthly unlimited county wide bus pass for only $40. Fortunately because here in Calif our truck registration fees are based on the age of the truck and book value the annual registration fees don't exceed more than $80 for any one of the trucks, and with a decades long clean driving record my insurance premiums are super low for having multiple cars and one driver. So I just maintain my trucks and make little improvements and drive each one every once in a while, but not everyday. And when I do drive its usually to the grocery store. Its not the the activity it was for me at one time, because of my age and income truck building is too much heavy lifting and heavy spending. I can't do either, but I value the stuff that I've built and accumulated over the years even though they're all flawed and imperfect in some ways. And here in Calif where I live we have a lot restrictions regarding building old cars and trucks and get more all the time. There are fewer auto parts places and I can't buy or use most of the necessary auto paints because its not legal. So building old trucks and such is different for me now than it once was. I stay active on forums and discuss what I did and what I know--little as that might be--and enjoy watching what others are building.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:08 AM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well i have never driven my 59 as when i got it the floor was gone and the motor had no compression but i am building it as a daily. However i did drive my 64 f250 everyday before i went to college. I have not had a chance to get my 64 down to where im living while going to school.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:42 AM
calorchard
Senior User
RandyJack
"I drive it every day....that it's not raining."

You need my paint job! And everyone knows it never rains in southern California! ;]

Quick Reply: How many here actually drive your trucks?