Any tips on getting the best looking job from a chrome paint spray can?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 03:53 PM
Ken2600
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know "best looking" and "spray can" don't go together, but I can't afford to buy a chrome bumper and I thought I'd just get some chrome paint and see how it looks. It needs painted anyway and it's just painted silver from the factory.

What brand of chrome paint looks decent?
What steps should I take to make it look the best?
Should I spray it with clear afterward? What kind?

Thanks all.

Old 03-05-2003, 11:17 PM
dieselzen
Senior User

Yeah, I had to go the cheap route on my wheels about a year back. I think I used Krylon's chrome spray paint. I was impressed with the results at first. Fairly sparkly for spray on chrome.....but.....after about 8 months, the paint started cracking. Before painting, I cleaned rust off, and washed each wheel with a degreasing soap and water. I guess the cracking is why more folks don't use the stuff for dress-up.
While creating supports for a running board, I tried Rustoleum's "aluminum" color, oil-based enamel (brush on). I think it is just as sparkly as the chrome paint and because it is oil-based, will perhaps last longer. I'm certainly going to try it out on my grey painted back bumper.
R.A.

Old 03-06-2003, 03:16 AM
bumpin_BII
Senior User

i used the krylon chrome spray can on my intake and it still fools ppl. they actually think its reall chrome. the stuff really seems to do go great with aluminum. i tried it on my plasit grill and it didnt look good but a month or so. so ill pull it off and add some steps i skipped last time. how can a descent gloss black paint job out of a can that i can be proud of though? ive got one side so smooth and shiny and you know just professional looking out of a can while the other is somewhat uneven. paint them the same though.

Old 03-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Alan P
Junior User

I used chrome spray on my 71 dash panel with mixed results. I think you would have to clear coat it for it to last any length of time or endure any handling.
I ended up taking it off and spraying Rustoleum Metallic Brilliant Finish, which is a bright metallic silver that looks nicer than steel wheel silver to me, for areas that should be argent silver... Rims, bumpers, grills trim etc.. .
Alan P

Old 03-06-2003, 10:45 PM
Ultra Blue
Junior User

Im not a big fan of spray cans but make sure you scuff or sand the bumper before you paint it.