3.0L Powerstroke Diesel Discuss the forthcoming 3.0L V6 Ford diesel in the F150

3.0L Powerstroke Sales Stagnant

Old 11-10-2018, 09:50 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
3.0L Powerstroke Sales Stagnant

It seems, in the Midwest anyway, that the majority of new truck purchasers are unphased by the F150's new 3.0L Powerstroke addition. I agree that unless mpg is the ultimate gain, without consideration for pricey oil changes or adding DEF or potentially expensive repairs years down the road, the Baby Stroke does not really play in the same circle with the EcoBoost. The EcoBoost just reigns superior on all levels. Mind you the mpg ratings of the Baby Powerstroke are minimally better than the EcoBoost, and pretty much unsupported by fact to date. Some truck test articles state testers ranged into 40+ mpg territory, but let's face it, that won't be the norm.
I was very surprised to hear from my friend who owns 27 dealerships that at his Midwest location, he's not had one call for a 3.0L Stroke, and the units on the lot at his other dealers are doing well... collecting dust and now snow. He even said his other dealer friends say the same thing. I wonder how long it will stay on the option list.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:56 AM
y2kc0wb0y
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are two King Ranch diesel F150 trucks at my local dealer and was SHOCKED to see the $70k price tags. Good looking trucks but we're talking nicely optioned F250 diesel for that price. Hard to justify.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:40 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How are the oil changes on a 3.0L V6 gonna be pricey? I assume it only holds 6qts maybe 7. So it should be the same price as an ecoboost and cheaper than a 5.0L.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:43 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Strokin-A-2010
How are the oil changes on a 3.0L V6 gonna be pricey? I assume it only holds 6qts maybe 7. So it should be the same price as an ecoboost and cheaper than a 5.0L.
Ive been looking for some time for a video, but no luck. The oil capacity is small... about 6 quarts. The issue I think, if I recall correctly, is a cartridge type oil filter. I could be wrong, but if it is so, Ben Dover probably sells them.

I still drive high miles, and although the EcoBoost is the clear winner, I've been a diesel driver for 20+ years. I don't need power, but the potential mileage intrigues me. The $3000 adder (less when considering the 3.5L EcoBoost added) could be paid for quickly in fuel savings over the $9,000 Stroke in the Super Duty.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:25 PM
3fordasho
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smokewagun

Ive been looking for some time for a video, but no luck. The oil capacity is small... about 6 quarts. The issue I think, if I recall correctly, is a cartridge type oil filter. I could be wrong, but if it is so, Ben Dover probably sells them.
Motorcraft FL2081 cartridge filter for oil, just over $6 at common online vendors. Also a Mann version for under $5.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:38 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by y2kc0wb0y
There are two King Ranch diesel F150 trucks at my local dealer and was SHOCKED to see the $70k price tags. Good looking trucks but we're talking nicely optioned F250 diesel for that price. Hard to justify.
Agreed. Why buy the first year of a less-capable truck when you get a solid, tried and true 6.7L F250/350 for less? When I want MPGs I have a car that gets 35-40mpg. I could probably buy an F250 and a Focus in the same deal for less than one of the diesel F-150s. But I also want an XLT max, I don't want a full panel sun roof, nine cameras, and fifteen BLIS/parking sensors to break on me ten years down the line.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:30 PM
djtepe
New User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Agreed. Why buy the first year of a less-capable truck when you get a solid, tried and true 6.7L F250/350 for less? When I want MPGs I have a car that gets 35-40mpg. I could probably buy an F250 and a Focus in the same deal for less than one of the diesel F-150s. But I also want an XLT max, I don't want a full panel sun roof, nine cameras, and fifteen BLIS/parking sensors to break on me ten years down the line.
What do you do when you want to tow something and get good gas mileage? 19mpg is really good when towing a boat. 24mpg is really good on the highway while driving a 7000lb truck at 80 mph (no need for that rice burner for me since I’m tall and don’t fit in one anyway). 30mpg is really good while driving around town. Had a 5.0 F150 for years and the 3.0 out tows it. The F150 was rated at 19mpg on the highway but I never got better than 16. A relative of mine had the ecoboost and they said they never got above 16 mpg on it also so I didn’t want to entertain that. It really doesn’t do anyone any good to tip your hat to the fact that you didn’t pick a good vocation regarding the price tag. The above numbers are what I’m getting currently and hoping for a little more after break in. It is really really fun to drive.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:46 PM
willydmax
Senior User
That's where it's really going to shine is towing mileage. I remember when the new Colorado came out guys were saying they weren't going to sell because of how close the price was to a Silverado and with less capacity. They have been selling piles of them. Some people are going to buy one because it's a diesel and that's what they want. Just my $.02

Old 11-17-2018, 03:08 PM
djtepe
New User
Originally Posted by willydmax
That's where it's really going to shine is towing mileage. I remember when the new Colorado came out guys were saying they weren't going to sell because of how close the price was to a Silverado and with less capacity. They have been selling piles of them. Some people are going to buy one because it's a diesel and that's what they want. Just my $.02
I couldn’t have said it better. I can’t imagine buying an F250. Folks would be asking why since I’d never fully use it. This is perfect for my use and... it’s what I wanted.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:13 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by djtepe

I couldn’t have said it better. I can’t imagine buying an F250. Folks would be asking why since I’d never fully use it. This is perfect for my use and... it’s what I wanted.
Im kind of in the same mindset. I drive quite a bit, so the mpg even with more expensive fuel should pay for the diesel engine in a relatively short time for me. I don't need to be first off the line, and my towing should stay below 6k for short trips. I'm watching the whole thing closely. Hoping to see more feedback and good resale values in the next year.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:24 AM
y2kc0wb0y
Junior User
Adoption rate is going to determine resale but it is an interesting configuration that's for sure.
The new Ranger complicates sales even further especially if they receive the diesel too

Old 11-22-2018, 02:51 PM
thatdarncat
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The F-150 Diesel is akin to the Fiero in approaching consumer needs and widespread appeal, sure a few niche folks will defend it will all their soul because they bit the advertisers bait and will do everything in their being to rationalize it after plunking down 65-70k for a dog in the diesel world.
Far better diesel options are out there for same or less, less, less money...a rational person would get a equal or better performer and take the leftover 30k and go get a CD at 4% somewhere....but lets face it, folks who buy a 70K dog are never going save any money much less have 30k floating around to invest ... they dont think normally...to them its just another monthly payment that puts them precariously closer to the edge of living from paycheck to paycheck....

Like one poster in this thread said, it needs to be in the XL models, that is if Ford wants to breath any life at all into this boondoggle.... as it stands right now; economically Ford made a Fiero, but no Ford thinks their loyal base of consumers to be a fools and not think rationally. Im sure Ford could triple their sales if they would eat a little crow on this haughty behavior and get it in XL and XLT's
Maybe Ford underestimated even most of their loyal consumers and couldnt con them into this one

Old 11-25-2018, 11:40 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I like having options, I won't defend a vehicle though. Ford knows what is selling and what isn't. Once it isn't making them money by selling enough units they dump it. I still wish they made the Excursion, especially the diesel one. I had one and liked it. I also wish they kept a manual shifter, but I get it not enough people want it. so they don't make it. And yes I know I can have an excursion made, but I don't want to have one custom made. Maybe this diesel will find it's way into an suv here.

If they don't start selling, look for great incentives to buy one though, so if that's your gotta have truck and can wait.... Might be worth it.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:54 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 407 Likes on 269 Posts
Maybe folks are worried it'll be another Dodge Ecodiesel disaster. Those things are 1) unreliable, 2) Getting the crap smacked out of FCA by the EPA for cheating on emissions, 3) no resale to anyone that has done any research, and 4) No longer available in '19s because of #2. I could see folks waiting a year or 2 and see how the Ford performs long term.

I can also see people "wondering" if in fact the F150 will get the new Achades engine, which will blow most all the other options into the weeds -- imagine 500 ft lbs of torque and getting mid 40s in mixed driving. I'm in the wait and see about this development, camp myself...
Scott

Old 11-29-2018, 07:05 PM
flumpydog
Senior User
I did take the new F150 diesel out for a test drive and have to say, it was one of, if not the quietest vehicle I have ever driven, I was really impressed on that front. The power delivery is OK, while it is no 3.5 EB, it was still decent in my opinion. I also do not agree with how Ford has decided to only make it available in the higher trim levels, unless you have a Fleet account. It would be nice as well, if this engine was an option in the Expy's as I would have bought one, but time will tell if this comes to fruition. There is not much of a huge advantage on the fuel mileage front, and I guess it boils down to if you would like to own a diesel vs a gas engine. Around where I live, they do not seem to be disappearing much from the dealer's lots, time will tell how they do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.0L Powerstroke Sales Stagnant