6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

If you're tuned and had repairs.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:55 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're tuned and had repairs.....

With all the controversy on here about if tuners cause you to be denied warranty claims, I thought it appropriate to see if anyone has first had experience. There is only one account that I've seen on another forum where someone claims that technicians were not able to see that he had a tuner.

What mods do you have?

What repairs were done?

Did you return to stock before visiting the dealership? (Obviously not to screw Ford, but to allow technicians to properly diagnose the issue).

Did you visit the same dealership you have scheduled maintenance done at?

Do you have your truck maintenance performed with mods or without?

Did warranty cover? Why or Why not?

This is not intended to call anyone out or to praise anyone for getting around the system, I am truly curious as to how hard Ford is really digging into things.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great post, genuine idea, bump..... i am waiting to see the feedback...

Old 12-30-2010, 06:47 AM
seanjackmc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tuned my truck at about 2500 miles. I now have 23k on it. Ive had it serviced at the dealer for a routine oil change and left my tuner installed including the display in truck. No issues. I took the truck to a different dealer to have a rear window fixed that came off track and left the tuner installed. They covered it under warranty. Neither said anything about my tuner. Ill be taking my truck in today to have an oil change and will leave the tuner in place as well. Ford could care less about your truck being tuned unless you bring it in with engine related issues. As Ive posted in other threads if I have an engine issue I will NOT return my truck to stock. I knew what I was getting into when I did the tuner and delete. Again my own opinion could care less what everyone else does that is their business.
By the way after reading some of your posts RM about oil ect.. I think you will see a lot of your problems go away now that you are deleted!!!! Enjoy
STM

Old 12-30-2010, 07:09 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Thanks Sean.

Based on the lack of responses to this thread so far, I'm beginning to think that everyone that's tuned isn't having any engine or drivetrain problems. All this talk and arguing about whether or not tuners void your warranty and these engines aren't even breaking down?

Old 12-30-2010, 07:11 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had head gaskets done last winter under warranty. I never return to stock when going to the dealer for repair or service. Mods are in my signature. I bought the truck from the same dealer as it is repaired/serviced. So, obviously they know I'm tuned. My truck did have the occasional "degas bottle puke" before any use of big tunes and they knew it, so when the puking became chronic, they got it fixed on their dime because I told them about it long ago. That was at 56K miles. Now at 76K miles.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:15 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Originally Posted by RM2738
Thanks Sean.

Based on the lack of responses to this thread so far, I'm beginning to think that everyone that's tuned isn't having any engine or drivetrain problems. All this talk and arguing about whether or not tuners void your warranty and these engines aren't even breaking down?

I think you're essentially correct here. Once you get rid of the crap that causes the problems in the 1st place, you have a much better truck, much better reliability, and much better driving experience. That has certainly been my experience. Getting MPGs is just a bonus.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:23 AM
seanjackmc
Senior User
Originally Posted by R-T0r21on
I think you're essentially correct here. Once you get rid of the crap that causes the problems in the 1st place, you have a much better truck, much better reliability, and much better driving experience. That has certainly been my experience. Getting MPGs is just a bonus.
Yeah I agree totally. There will always be a few people who have some serious failure related to or not to tuning but in general these trucks are much more reliable with out the emissions junk. I had my delete installed by a forum member who happens to be a diesel tech at a ford dealer and he was insistent that the best thing to do for these motors is to delete the emissions junk. Thats all I needed to hear. Like you said fuel mpg is a bonus. Think of all the time and money you save not having your truck in the shop. Under warranty or not its a pia.
STM

Old 12-30-2010, 08:39 AM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
I think its come to the point of being almost common sense, in a sense, that if you have the slightest idea how the emission/dpf system works on the 6.4 you know its not a good thing. And the only thing stopping anyone here is obviously the warranty deal.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:21 AM
tgreening
Elder User
I can't fulfill your information criteria, but I can at least tell you what the diesel tech at my dealer told me. He said their practice when it comes to tuners is to pretty much ignore it's there when it comes to warranty work, unless said warranty work is going to bring a Ford factory tech snooping. In that case they inform the owner ahead of time so they have the option of removing their tuner and other stuff.

I'm guessing that depending on the issue and its severity, this may or may not do any good for the owner. All depends on how deep the Ford tech digs when looking.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tgreening
I can't fulfill your information criteria, but I can at least tell you what the diesel tech at my dealer told me. He said their practice when it comes to tuners is to pretty much ignore it's there when it comes to warranty work, unless said warranty work is going to bring a Ford factory tech snooping. In that case they inform the owner ahead of time so they have the option of removing their tuner and other stuff.

I'm guessing that depending on the issue and its severity, this may or may not do any good for the owner. All depends on how deep the Ford tech digs when looking.

That is fairly common from what I am hearing. Service manager and two techs at my local dealer told me almost the same thing.

All dealerships SELL VEHICLES. In today's world, if you get horrible service or are burned by the service department, or if you don't feel like they did everything in their power to help you, would you go buy a vehicle from them? Would you recommend that dealership to a friend or family? Would you return for future service or maintenance? Most liekly not. It's all about the $$. The way I see it, the only thing the dealership has to lose by denying your warranty claim, is your future business and potential referrals.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:06 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
The dealership I use asked me about my tuning, ie: tuner brand, business name, etc. They recommend to their other Super Duty customers who ask about tuning to do it, or something similar to mine, and last time I was at the dealer for service, they said that more & more of their clients are doing it. I certainly can't take credit here, but I think I did influence the dealer/salesman since they have seen how my truck performs. They love it! I also think that more people are doing it because warrantys are about expired on older (2008s) trucks like mine. I only have about 24K left on my warranty. That means about 1 to 1 1/2 years for me on the engine warranty.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:59 PM
fg250
Elder User
sorry to change the subject, but when you put the Dpf/doc delete pipe on do you have to cut the stock exhaust and then clamp the new pipe to that?

Old 12-30-2010, 03:07 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fg250
sorry to change the subject, but when you put the Dpf/doc delete pipe on do you have to cut the stock exhaust and then clamp the new pipe to that?

It's all bolts. 13 & 15mm. Depending on how many miles are on your truck, you'll need some good penetrating oil and maybe some ratchet straps to pull the muffler off the DPF.

I removed the CAT & DPF as on big piece, just unbolt from the down pipe and seperate the exhaust hangers.

Last edited by RM2738; 12-30-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 12-30-2010, 03:11 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Oh, and you'll need a good extension with a swivel for the top bolt that holds on the CAT to the down pipe. And the rear bolt that holds on the muffler to the dpf was actally larger, I used a Spark Plug socket for that one.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:27 PM
fg250
Elder User
thanks for the info, how's your mileage now?

Quick Reply: If you're tuned and had repairs.....