1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Lifting the bed

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 PM
lwclark
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifting the bed

Newbie question I'm sure. Is there a common way to lift a truck bed in the driveway without help?

I'm thinking of building a derek with 4x4 lumber for uprights, 2x6 as the cross-bar and 2x4's supporting things at the ground. Then I'll use a block & tackle or come-along to lift the bed. I've already detached all the bolts (that was a pain).

Another idea is to lift it with lumber on the two hydraulic jacks I've got, then prop it up between two saw horses, then drive the truck out from under.

I'm doing this to install my '69 Mustang tank.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:13 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
A while back, somebody here posted a pic of them lifting a bed using a strap and an engine hoist/cherry picker. I thought that was pretty ingenious.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's an idea if you have an engine hoist. Go to your local metal yard. Buy a square tube that's wide enough to slip over the square tube on your engine hoist. Should be about five feet long. Drill a new hole at the end of the new tube. Run an 8 grade bolt through the hole and the chain with the hook through the same bolt. Slip the new tube over the engine hoist's tube. This will give you a longer reach. Make sure to extend the feet of the engine hoist ot the max position. Run two long straps from one side of the bed to the other, with the straps parallel to each other. Get a 4x4 piece of wood and attach it to the hook of the hoist (you may need to screw in a eye bolt or wrap a chain around it). Slip the 4x4 in between the straps and lift up. You'll then be able to adjust the hoist to find center of gravity. Lift up the bed and either slowly pull it out or move the truck forward.

Here's the set up that I made to lift the cabs off the trucks and onto the trailer by myself.

I loaded everything onto the trailer and the back of the truck with the method I described above, but tweaked to each application. The prinicple is the same, though.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
All the good stuff is in California!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-29-2010, 10:13 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fifty-two_f1
All the good stuff is in California!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not anymore... I got it all!!!

I stripped an F6 COE of its cab and front clip in Corona, CA. I did it all by hand without any power tools. Took me almost the whole day. I hired a day laborer to help me lift the cab and the front clip onto the trailer. I left the rest of the truck on the street for the city to tow.

Before that, I picked up the F6 cab and front clip from a yard in Pomona. Luckily, they had a forklift.

I sold everything, but the F6 front clip. Still have it. The COE went to New Zealand and six months later, the buyer emailed me pictures of his finished product.

He did a great job in such a short amount of time. More than I could have ever done in years.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:16 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
yellow cab

Hey ILYA Leave the yellow cab loaded up and i'll meet you half way. LOL

Old 12-29-2010, 10:22 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by arrowheadfred
Hey ILYA Leave the yellow cab loaded up and i'll meet you half way. LOL
That cab was sold to a local guy who sold it to someone in Thailand. It's there now.

I still have the yellow front clip left. It's all yours if you want to drive out here.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:27 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
GO WEST

When i get my 51 done and all the bugs worked out i plan on driving out that way. I will have to look you up. HECK just put it in the mail. LOL

Old 12-30-2010, 10:43 PM
lwclark
Senior User
What worked for me, and what didn't

This didn't work. Not high enough, though more careful driving might have helped.

This worked. A 1960 steel bed is light enough for one person to lift an end while someone else positions saw horses and/or lumber.