Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Junior User

Person25 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Factory Radio Harness/Steering wheel controls

Hey guys, Im doing a new head unit (alpine iva w203). Ive gotten to the point of getting the OEM unit out of the dash, I see that there are two harness plugs going to the back of the radio. One larger than the other.

Instead of cutting the factory harness ive purchased the aftermarket harness to connect to the factory harness. which is here......Receiver Wire Harness For select Ford, Hyundai, Lincoln, and Mercury models, 2003-up at Crutchfield.com

What I dont know what to do with is the smaller of the factory harness plugs. Is that the steering wheel control plug? if so, where do I find that harness plug so i dont have to cut those wires. Im not seeing it on crutchfield. The alpine unit doesnt require any other connections so I am a bit stumped as to what i could be missing. Also, I did buy a SWI-JACK made by PAC, ive begun reading those instructions, but I defer to the guys here first. The harness on the SWI JACK plugs into the alpine unit, but the ends going to the steering wheel controls are just stripped wires. I really dont want to have to spilice any wires. any input?
Old 12-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Senior User

pidaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
That is the correct harness for your truck. The second harness is not needed.
As for the SW control, you will have to tap at least one wire for that. Follow the instructions for connecting and programming.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:46 PM
Junior User

Its jsut weird how there is a whole other harness that isnt needed now is just hanging out there.

As for the steeringwheel controls, I had to take the harness I got from crutchfield and remove one of the unused pins and put it in pin19 on the ford24 harness. that pin was then grounded into the harness. From the PAC-JACK you only need the power, ground and the control wire for Ford, which was white. That plugs into pin18 on the ford24 harness. The directions werent very clear, it took me and a friend about an hour to program the unit. but it works, so if anyone reads this thread looking to do this procedure and needs a hand let me know.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Senior User

pidaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person25 View Post
Its jsut weird how there is a whole other harness that isnt needed now is just hanging out there.
It's that way on many Fords from '97 up. Some of them, such as my '07, it's for the Sirius tuner and AUX input. My aftermarket unit doesn't need anything in that harness therefore it doesn't get used.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:49 AM
New User

WD401 is starting off with a positive reputation.
PAC SWI-JACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person25 View Post

As for the steeringwheel controls, I had to take the harness I got from crutchfield and remove one of the unused pins and put it in pin19 on the ford24 harness. that pin was then grounded into the harness. From the PAC-JACK you only need the power, ground and the control wire for Ford, which was white. That plugs into pin18 on the ford24 harness. The directions werent very clear, it took me and a friend about an hour to program the unit. but it works, so if anyone reads this thread looking to do this procedure and needs a hand let me know.
Did you install this on a new 2011 Super Duty? I have a 2011 Super Duty and there is no wire in pin 18 on the wiring harness on the truck.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD401 View Post
Did you install this on a new 2011 Super Duty? I have a 2011 Super Duty and there is no wire in pin 18 on the wiring harness on the truck.
No, its an 08 f150. There was a wire for me in pin18, but i did have to move an unused pin into pin19 as i needed a ground through that pin according to the directions. What really helped me identify exactly what pin controls what function on the factory harness was the aftermarket harness i purchased. Each wire on the aftermarket harness has the function printed on the wire itself, and the colors match up perfectly. So if your looking to do a new headunit and you arnt willing to cut the factory harness on the 11' look into the aftermarket harness adapter.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:51 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
1972, 2008, connector, control, controls, f100, f150, factory, ford, harness, radio, steering, swap, swi, truck, wheel