Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Colorado Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RIKIL

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Posting Guru

Gage2502 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gage2502 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Moving to Colorado???

Ok so I have been to Colorado a few times I usually go there every year for vacation for a few days. I have been wanting to move there for over 5yeas just cant seem to find any work out there. So right now im working at Lowe's and one of my coworkers told me that I should just transfer to a Lowe's in Colorado, not a bad idea. So first two questions I have are how much are license plates for my two trucks, "2005 F-250 V10 and 2000 Expedition V8? Right now I was looking to move to Colorado Springs, Canon City, or Pueblo, any tips on where to live? Also I will be renting an apartment for now.
Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:51 AM
Posting Guru

rikfish is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Things are pretty tough here right now, a bit worse than a lot of the country. I think I just saw our unemployment is hovering around 10% or so. Probably cheaper here than Illinois, lower taxes. Vehicle plates go by taxable value. My 2003 F150 XL ran me about $187 this year. @001 E350 van was much cheaper as it was totaled due to a hail storm, thus he value is dirt.

Pueblo is pretty reasonable to live, rents are low here, gas is generally a bit higher than the rest of the front range. Regular gas, 85 octane, is running about $2.83 as of today. Housing is relatively cheap if you were to buy.

Can you weld? If so, Vestas, maker of wind power generators ( towers here), seems to be hiring regularly. About the only growing company in the area I know of. I think we have 2 Lowes and 1 Home Depot here, and a couple of locally owned yards. I live in Pueblo West, an unincorporated metropolitan district with about 30k people. We're just west of Pueblo on Hiway 50. Good community, lots of spirit, and housing is pretty cheap. Have to love the wind and LOTS of dust and tumbleweeds though.

Can't give much info on Canon City other than it seems to be a nice town. I wouldn't live in the Springs to save my life. Crowded, poorly run city and county government, and with the Army looking to expand Fort Carson, housing will be higher and harder to find. Jobs probably will open up slowly, but you'll be competing with military dependents for those too.

Good luck with your decision. I am a native to the state, and love it here. We have our problems just as everywhere, but the beauty, recreation, low humidity, and a host of other positives make it a good place to live. I've lived in the mid-west (Ill., Mo., Oh.), mid-south (Memphis)' and panhandle of Florida, none touch Colorado. All have their good points, but overall I have no desire to leave here.
68 Mustang Coupe, 200-6, not much else! (work in S L O W progress)
Old 01-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Elder User

RCKYMTN-PSD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Moving new to Colorado might be easier to get started in a larger city. I prefer outside of Denver. We dont have to explain crowded to someone in Chicago but Springs and Denver have heavy traffic. finding a job I would think should be easier. Rent might be a little higher than Pueblo. Registration is expensive around here. I would guess around 250 for your 05. Lots of Lowes around.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Posting Guru

Gage2502 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gage2502 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for the replys everyone, so right now I have also been thinking about moving to Colorado, Utah, Montana, South Dakota, Texas, Oregon, ect. I might just go back to school for my EMT. As for fees for my 2005 Super Duty right now im paying $140 for plates and &150 for the Chicago city sticker.
Thanks again. ~Gage~
Old 02-05-2011, 01:57 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.
There area couple of town in between Colorado Springs and Denver, between both of those I think you would have plenty of work to look for.

I moved to Colorado Springs several years ago, we planned the move but didn't have jobs when we got out here, pretty much set a date and went. I'd guess that only about 5% of the people move without a job like we did. You just got to decide when to make the move and plan for it.
Red, 1992 F150, 351W, E4OD, Vortech V-2 Si trim blower, Snow Performance water/meth injection system, custom cam, Edelbrock Performer intake, Twisted Wedge 205cc heads, shorty full-length headers, MASS Air (converted), tuning with QuarterhorseRT, 4x4, short bed, 33" tires
Old 02-11-2011, 03:11 AM
Senior User

HeeHaw78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I live in grand junction, other side of the mountain from what you are looking at, although if you dont mind hard work the oilfield is hiring like mad, if you have a class A cdl with hazmat or tanker (both is best) and some driving experience you would have a job in a short time. most of the jobs are local some are travel. rent for me is about 1000 but i have a house not an apartment, they are available for about 700 or less a month for townhome or apartment, not sure if this is the area that you would be looking into but the area is beautiful and the hunting and fishing is abundant. As well as plenty of places to go muddin, dirtbike ridin, or take out your atv. whatever you have. if you have any questions feel free to ask and i will try my best to answer them as best as possible.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Posting Guru

Ya at first I was just going to get up and move but Im so worried that I wont find a job right-away. Might be taking another road trip out there this spring/summer, also I love Grand Junction, one of my Favorite towns in Colorado. I dont have a CDL...I only have a Associates Degree in Criminal Justice, really want to be a law enforcement officer.
Thanks everyone
Old 02-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Senior User

patmedic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gage2502 There a lot of prisons in the Pueblo , Canyon City, Buena Vista area and I heard they hire all the time. I have always heard that is a great place to start to get on a County Sheriff's job.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Posting Guru

ceetwarrior is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where to live in Colorado? Well, it depends if you want liberal yuppie's (denver), illegal mexicans (Pueblo), college punks (northern Colorado), military ****** that think they run the place (Colo Spgs), terrible climate and no jobs (any mountain town) or more illegal mexicans (everywhere).... Take your pic....
Old 05-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Posting Guru

rikfish is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceetwarrior View Post
Where to live in Colorado? Well, it depends if you want liberal yuppie's (denver), illegal mexicans (Pueblo), college punks (northern Colorado), military ****** that think they run the place (Colo Spgs), terrible climate and no jobs (any mountain town) or more illegal mexicans (everywhere).... Take your pic....
You left Boulder out with their liberal yuppy freaks, and forgot to mention Colo. Springs with their land and water grabbing religious right. Just where in the state are YOU?
68 Mustang Coupe, 200-6, not much else! (work in S L O W progress)
Old 05-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Posting Guru

unfortunately Colo Spgs.....
Old 06-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Posting Guru

Ya I dont think I would like Denver, I was going for Springs but now I just dont know I thought that more people in Colorado would be right winged? Here in IL we have way too many liberal yuppie's esp. in Chicago. Maybe I should look into Wyoming? I would like to go where people are more into country things and not into Hollywood crap.
Thanks ~Gage~
Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage2502 View Post
Ya I dont think I would like Denver, I was going for Springs but now I just dont know I thought that more people in Colorado would be right winged? Here in IL we have way too many liberal yuppie's esp. in Chicago. Maybe I should look into Wyoming? I would like to go where people are more into country things and not into Hollywood crap.
Thanks ~Gage~
Oh God, Anything north of Colo Spgs is yuppie central. It's crazy. But anything south of COS is slow grow economy....
Old 06-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Senior User

Shawns Fords is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage2502 View Post
Thanks ~Gage~
Born and raised in Denver metro as an extreme republicant, then I got smart and registered third party. Denver is packed with californians wanting to make colorado into colofornia, But I have lived in many other states and it is not near as bad as other places. I make fun of kids that act like they have to be tough to go downtown Denver ad you may get slapped by some troller from cheeseman park or something. There are tons of jobs listed all over colorado. I am looking myself right now and have found many. What im learning is the people wont take the jobs because they want to make more money. And the employers (like home depot) have no clue what they are doing when you get set up for interviews. I have quit 3 other jobs for better opportunities in what everyone else is saying is a bad job market.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Senior User

Passin Thru is starting off with a positive reputation.
I thought, having been around C SPG that the people were all hippies, and all wanted you to recycle everything including your spit. I like it anyway. Go to wester CO. Lots of hard pulls for adiesel. My 7.3 will really smoke til the turbo winds up and it doesn't have any alterations.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 PM