After finishing up my EGR delete this last weekend (I did the Custom Diesel full EGR cooler delete it's a sinister clone) I had a hissing sound coming from the engine compartment and was about 5psi low on boost. I thought that the leak was either exhaust manifold/y-pipe related or intake manifold gasket related, but was unable to tell where when the truck was running. I came up with a redneck way to check the exhaust system for leaks to rule it out. Enjoy
-Air compressor with regulator and hose
1. Prep tailpipe by wrapping it with duct tape and progressively extending the duct tape out making a 5" duct tape extension to the tail pipe. Set compressor regulator to 5 psi.
2. Light smoke bomb and place into tail pipe.
3. Get air hose with 5psi of air flowing out of it and put it in the tail pipe. Use the duct tape "extension" to compress around the air hose to seal the hose-tailpipe connection.
4. Examine exhaust connections for smoke.
5. After leak is found dispose of "used tools."
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.