Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Junior User

offroad_x is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
power lift tailgate?

Anyone ever modify their rear lift gate to open automatically? Or was this an option on any year? My wife and daughter can't lift the rear hatch up because it is too heavy. I would like to somehow rig a hydraulic lift that is remote controlled like some of the newer vans and crossovers. Anyone done this?
Old 12-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Postmaster

jh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputation
You may need to change your struts. They may be worn out.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Posting Guru

aortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputation
I agree with that suggestion.

2000 Excursion 5.4 4X2
Old 12-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Junior User

I changed them recently. The originals would not hold the hatch up. With the new ones it opens fine once the door is open an inch or more. But that initial open requires a really strong tug.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Junior User

Hmm....I am guessing no one has done this yet. I have searched the forums, and haven't seen a mention of it. I think I'll have to fabricate something.......
2001 Excursion limited 4x4 7.3 4R100 4 inch lift BFG AT/KO 35" DPTuner 60T/80E/120R Detroit Truetrac rear/ LS front 4inch Magnaflow muffler, DIY Tymar w/ Airaid RAS DCPower 190 Amp alternator dual optimas , Flex-a-lite electric fans, KC Daylighters, Baja Magamule rack cal4wheel membership
Old 12-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Posting Guru

aortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputation
Looks like you're going to have to be the first to try this out. If you get something to work, I'm sure a few will be interested.

2000 Excursion 5.4 4X2
Old 12-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Junior User

delano0512 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was thinking of doing the same thing, I saw my cousins Quest and it looks like a motor controled at the hatch. I was thinking of buying one from the scrap yard and moding it to work on the Excursion. I have seen others from I think it was Dodge that was a track system which I think would be to much modification involved.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:46 AM
Junior User

ford_model'a' is starting off with a positive reputation.
The Ford Flex has a Power Rear Hatch and my be a good candidate as a parts donor.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Elder User

dcf4x4 has a good reputation on FTE.dcf4x4 has a good reputation on FTE.
In some of the crazy car magazines (ie lowrider, etc) they have door poppers.

That is only one specific company. It was the first that came up on google search.

I had a friend with shaved handles on his mustang and all he did was push a button and out popped the doors about 4 inches.

It's not to hard to install them, and probably much easier than a motor.

2000 F350 Lariat, 4x4, 7.3, Crew, 6 spd, dually
(gauges, BD turbo, hpx , FRx, 6 pos. chip, 6637, turbo back 4", 255/85R16, '05 front end)
1990 F350 XLT, 7.3 IDI, 4x4, veggie kit, 33"s
Old 12-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Posting Guru

tdappleman is a name known to alltdappleman is a name known to alltdappleman is a name known to alltdappleman is a name known to alltdappleman is a name known to alltdappleman is a name known to all
You can add the actuator so once the hatch is released the actuator would raise and lower it. Getting it to latch back may be tricky. This site has linear actuators which look very similar to the one which was on my 07 Expy.

Buy Linear Actuators, Electric Linear Actuators, DC Linear Actuators - Electric Linear : Miniature Linear Actuators : DC Actuators : ProgressiveAutomations.com
ASE Certified Technician www.coastalfastlube.com
Old 03-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdappleman View Post
You can add the actuator so once the hatch is released the actuator would raise and lower it. Getting it to latch back may be tricky. This site has linear actuators which look very similar to the one which was on my 07 Expy.

Buy Linear Actuators, Electric Linear Actuators, DC Linear Actuators - Electric Linear : Miniature Linear Actuators : DC Actuators : ProgressiveAutomations.com
Sorry for the delayed response. I got busy with things, and didn't even see it.

This is a great suggestion. Thanks for the link...I'll check it out!
2001 Excursion limited 4x4 7.3 4R100 4 inch lift BFG AT/KO 35" DPTuner 60T/80E/120R Detroit Truetrac rear/ LS front 4inch Magnaflow muffler, DIY Tymar w/ Airaid RAS DCPower 190 Amp alternator dual optimas , Flex-a-lite electric fans, KC Daylighters, Baja Magamule rack cal4wheel membership
Old 03-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcf4x4 View Post
In some of the crazy car magazines (ie lowrider, etc) they have door poppers.

That is only one specific company. It was the first that came up on google search.

I had a friend with shaved handles on his mustang and all he did was push a button and out popped the doors about 4 inches.

It's not to hard to install them, and probably much easier than a motor.
I was thinking the door popper was a good idea. That alone would be enough to get things started. As it is, everyone in the family thinks the rear hatch is still locked. If it popped open..that would make it easy.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:33 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
2002, aftermarket, automatic, door, duty, electric, excursion, ford, hatch, hatches, heavy, lift, poppers, power, rear, suv, tailgate, van