'80-'86 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) Calculators, specififications, automotive terms and acronyms.

FAQ - How to request a Build Sheet

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Build sheet eh?

Looks like this will be a must to add to my collection of receipts and all the original history that I have for my 1 owner 1990 F250!

But I'll have to contact Ford Canada since I am in Canada and the truck was made in Oakville Ontario.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hmmm, might have to call, since the web based request form no longer recognizes the 80 and older "short" VIN numbers as a "valid 17 digit VIN"........

Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 PM
dyingtolive
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
Build sheet eh?

Looks like this will be a must to add to my collection of receipts and all the original history that I have for my 1 owner 1990 F250!

But I'll have to contact Ford Canada since I am in Canada and the truck was made in Oakville Ontario.
You should be able to call Ford in Dearborn, Michigan. I mean, my truck was made in Oakville, Ontario, and bought here in the States, so they should be able to get you squared away.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll see when time comes, if I have to, I'll call both of 'em.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:48 AM
WAExplorer
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just an update FYI, I tried the website for a build sheet and was directed to https://www.shopfordgear.com/home.as...2YHNOREJJK4&s= where they are charging $17 now.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:08 AM
dylansf23
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WAExplorer
Just an update FYI, I tried the website for a build sheet and was directed to https://www.shopfordgear.com/home.as...2YHNOREJJK4&s= where they are charging $17 now.

noticed that a year ago when i bought one...still haven't gotten it...

Old 09-09-2014, 03:48 PM
ShawnTJ
New User
TYVM

This is awesome. I stumbled across this thread, I didn't know they had build sheets for individual vehicles.
[edit] Just got the redirect as well. meh.

Last edited by ShawnTJ; 09-09-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: new info
Old 12-22-2014, 07:14 AM
BillyBoy92
New User
Latest Method of Obtaining a Build Sheet from Ford

Available for 1967 model year and newer vehicles, a Basic Build Sheet will detail your vehicle's "as built" options:

- Model year
- Manufacturing plant name and location
- Body style
- Build date
- Engine size
- Consecutive unit serial number
- Transmission description
- Rear axle ratio and description (locking or non-locking)
- Tire size
- Exterior paint color and code
- Interior trim color and code
- Interior options
- Any other option information available

The Deluxe Build Sheet will include all available production figures in addition to the Basic Build Sheet information. Each build sheet is drafted on Ford stationery that is signed by Ms. Elena Ford -- a great addition to any car enthusiast's collection.

Build Sheets can be ordered online at the Shop Ford Gear website. U.S. residents without internet access who want to order a Build Sheet can contact our supplier HELM's customer support at 1-877-247-0195. A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) will be required to place an order. Build Sheets for a vehicle with a model year 1991 or newer are mailed within 7-10 business days of ordering and Build sheets for model years 1967 to 1990 vehicles may take 4-6 weeks to retrieve the information from our systems. VINs for vehicles with model years up to 1981 are 11 characters long and are 17 characters long for model years 1982 to the present.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:32 PM
billabongboy73
Senior User
I ordered a build sheet for my '81 back in July. I never received it. Emailed the Ford Gear guys and they responded "Due to the age of the vehicle, we must submit the VIN to our Archives Department for processing. It usually takes about 4 to 6 weeks for the information to return and for us to complete the document. Once complete we will email & mail it. I apologize for any inconvenience. ETA is about 4 to 6 weeks from today."

You think they would have done that when I originally ordered it.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:38 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
IIRC all that information has been sold to Kevin Marti. Others may still accept your requests (and probably also money these days) for the information, but they in turn will need to go to Kevin to get it.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:30 PM
dylansf23
Posting Guru
I never got mine..been almost two years...Dennis carpenter is less then a quarter tank in the truck away so I'll make a stop one day.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:15 AM
BillyBoy92
New User
Originally Posted by ctubutis
IIRC all that information has been sold to Dennis Carpenter. Others may still accept your requests (and probably also money these days) for the information, but they in turn will need to go to Dennis Carpenter to get it.
All of the VIN Build records are licensed to Marti Autoworks exclusively (Marti Auto Works - Concourse Quality, Hobbyist Price). You can get a Marti Report which has more information than what Ford (thru FordGear) provides. I've never heard that Dennis Carpenter obtained the information, but if so, sometimes communication through formal channels in our big corporation takes time.

No one else is licensed to provide this information.

Bill Rondello
Ford Motor Company
Customer Contact Governance Organization

Old 01-04-2015, 09:02 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyBoy92
All of the VIN Build records are licensed to Marti Autoworks exclusively (Marti Auto Works - Concourse Quality, Hobbyist Price). You can get a Marti Report which has more information than what Ford (thru FordGear) provides. I've never heard that Dennis Carpenter obtained the information, but if so, sometimes communication through formal channels in our big corporation takes time.

No one else is licensed to provide this information.

Bill Rondello
Ford Motor Company
Customer Contact Governance Organization
OIC, thank you for that! I think I confused Dennis Carpenter with Marti...

Old 01-21-2015, 07:16 AM
billabongboy73
Senior User
Received my build sheet today that I ordered from the Shop Ford Gear website. It was an emailed version and I should be getting the paper version in the mail within the next week. The email came from a gentleman at Ford.

In all it took about three weeks from when I got the email saying they had to send my vin to the "Archives Department". Just happy I got it

Old 04-13-2015, 11:33 AM
85F350IDI
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the difference between the deluxe and reg. build sheet, the deluxe is a bit pricey. :/

Quick Reply: FAQ - How to request a Build Sheet