Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Happy with performance in snow

Old 12-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy with performance in snow

I have a 2010 Escape 4X4 Limited. We had Explorers prior to this vehicle, and this is the first 4X4 we've had that you do not actually switch into 4WD. To be blunt, I was very skeptical of an " automatic 4WD system. " However, after last night's storm here in the Northeast. I am very happy with the performance of the Escape. Came thru over 6" of snow on unplowed roads with no problems, and even thru snow drifts that were in excess of 12". No spinning wheels, no struggling, just drive right thru! The Escape is truly a great Ford product!

Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Agree 100%. I had to drive one of mine about 20 miles last night during the storm and the road I was on was in horrific condition. There were spin-outs and fender benders everywhere. We had no problem with traction, stopping, turning - and mine are FWD only and I am still running the OEM Conti's with close to 55,000 on them.

I can only imagine how sure-footed a newer 4x4 version must be.

Glad you made it through the storm safely.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:56 PM
tonyford
Elder User
Originally Posted by Buck 1
I have a 2010 Escape 4X4 Limited. We had Explorers prior to this vehicle, and this is the first 4X4 we've had that you do not actually switch into 4WD. To be blunt, I was very skeptical of an " automatic 4WD system. " However, after last night's storm here in the Northeast. I am very happy with the performance of the Escape. Came thru over 6" of snow on unplowed roads with no problems, and even thru snow drifts that were in excess of 12". No spinning wheels, no struggling, just drive right thru! The Escape is truly a great Ford product!

My 2003 is the same way!!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 AM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
I have an 08 Escape with the V6 and 4WD and just replaced the OEM Contis with Goodyear Silent Armor Wranglers and What a difference! The Contis did fine in the snow, but were very noisy. The SAs are flat amazing on the Escape in the snow. I took it up in the Mtns right after about 10" of fresh snow fell and drove all over, up and down and never slipped a wheel. I was very happy with the tires and the vehicle! I feel very confident letting my teenage daughter drive it in the snow and ice when the crazies are off the road. Great combination!!!!
Let it snow!
Pat

Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 AM
mrshark
Senior User
We live in CT and had a 2003 escape4x4 never had an issue in 6 winters of New england snowstorms. Last year we sold it and bought a 2010 escape limited 4x4 and it handled this past snowstorm like a champ for my wife. She said no issues, came with Michelins, no problem. Definitely a great ford product, almost as good as my F150.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 AM
ggadwa
Senior User
Happy with performance in Snow!!!

Here in Stanley Idaho we have been driving our 2nd Escape in Snow and Ice every day since early November. 2010 Escape Hybrid handles very nicely. It has never ever slipped, slid or even felt like it was going to. First Escape wasn't quite as stable. However both are much better than the Explorers we had. Currently we have just under three feet of snow and the past 14 days we have had three days when it got above ZERO F.

Mileage sure drops on the Hybrid Escape in winter, but that is to be expected. for several reasons.

GARY

Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 AM
ggadwa
Senior User
Snow Performance

Oops for got I had not edited my Signature.....

GARY

Old 01-07-2011, 06:41 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't think that my street was that bad although snow covered but I slid past my driveway. I went to back up in my '09 4WD Escape and the rearend made a funky sideways movement. Not sure if the traction control kick in or I may have had my front wheels turned but this is the first time I've encountered such a event.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 PM
tonyford
Elder User
Originally Posted by wptski
I didn't think that my street was that bad although snow covered but I slid past my driveway. I went to back up in my '09 4WD Escape and the rearend made a funky sideways movement. Not sure if the traction control kick in or I may have had my front wheels turned but this is the first time I've encountered such a event.
Check your tires, the may be over inflated. Or they are bald, check your tires out before assuming a mechanical defect.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:23 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tonyford
Check your tires, the may be over inflated. Or they are bald, check your tires out before assuming a mechanical defect.
Who said anything about a mechanical defect? I do know that Ford's Unintelligent 4WD System doesn't work as most are lead to believe though.

I doubt if the tires are bald at 5100 miles. Over inflated? Not by me but I did get a oil change at the dealer last week, no telling what they did. I guess that you haven't heard about the hypermilers running 50psi and claiming that it affects nothing but increases MPG??

I will check the air pressure. You can find tons of stuff on problems caused by under inflated tires but nothing on over inflated tires.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:15 PM
tonyford
Elder User
If your tires are over inflated the tire and tread will not have full contact with the road surface.

You are better off having under inflated tires when driving in snow to make sure that all of the tread is contacting the road surface. I remember when people actually let air out of their tires when driving on snowy roads. Just remember to re-inflate them when the snow goes away.

I have an '03 AWD, calling it 4WD is a misnomer. You cannot actually put the vehicle into 4 wheel drive. I think the 4WD switch is for very low speeds not sure what they are. Don't know what they called it back in '03, but for me it works, front wheels start to spin back wheel takes over. Not 100% sure but I think it's front passenger side wheel and rear driver's side wheel that actually drive the vehicle.

The only thing I miss on the '03 is a dash light when the vehicle is in so called "4WD". They could of connected it to the sensor,very easy and cheap, at least you would know when you're in 4WD...

Old 01-08-2011, 08:54 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tonyford
If your tires are over inflated the tire and tread will not have full contact with the road surface.

You are better off having under inflated tires when driving in snow to make sure that all of the tread is contacting the road surface. I remember when people actually let air out of their tires when driving on snowy roads. Just remember to re-inflate them when the snow goes away.

I have an '03 AWD, calling it 4WD is a misnomer. You cannot actually put the vehicle into 4 wheel drive. I think the 4WD switch is for very low speeds not sure what they are. Don't know what they called it back in '03, but for me it works, front wheels start to spin back wheel takes over. Not 100% sure but I think it's front passenger side wheel and rear driver's side wheel that actually drive the vehicle.

The only thing I miss on the '03 is a dash light when the vehicle is in so called "4WD". They could of connected it to the sensor,very easy and cheap, at least you would know when you're in 4WD...
I had a '73 Blazer with 11x15s Dick Cepec(spell check) Armstrong Tru-Tracs that could run down to 5psi.

You have a open differential, front and rear.

The AWD term is the most misused term in the auto industry. The same exact system is used in the Edge, Fusion and Escape but the emblem on my Escape shows 4WD but the other are tagged as AWD. Even the Ford Manuals refer use both terms because they are both the same.

Regardless of driving conditions, every time one leaves from a dead stop, you get rear wheel torque. I use a Scanguage-II coded to monitor rear wheel torque. I have never seen more than 35% rear wheel torque even when floored on snow with the traction control ON or OFF. I have yet to see the so-called increased rear wheel torque with front slippage.

In order to be called a true AWD, you need a clutch pack at every wheel. The Acura SH-AWD has a clutch at both rear wheels. I've discussed this in other forums before but it that Ford seems to think that they can use the AWD term because of the added traction control.

The proper term would be A4WD for automatic 4WD as that's all it is.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 AM
ElbowJoe
Freshman User
I absolutely love my '03 Escape Ltd in the snow. Ford can call it whatever they want. It works!!

I have a general Escape traction question. A friend went on a UP fishing trip this past spring with this father in law who has an '09 Escape. He claims they parked on a small grassy hill and got stuck on the wet grass when they went to leave. He said they could not get the Escape moving due to the traction control system preventing any wheel spin. The system applied braking to wheels about to slip and limited the RPMs. End result is that the Escape would not move forward.

He said they could not find a way to turn the traction control off. I also have a fleet Chrysler Pacifica front wheel drive (really sucks - but it is free) and this happened to me during a recent snow fall. I ended up turning off the TCS and flooring it - permitting wheel spin to get moving. I would be surprised to find out that Ford did not include a way of turning off TCS for instances just like this. Perhaps someone could comment on this......

Old 02-03-2011, 11:01 AM
ggadwa
Senior User
Snow performance

FYI:
Regarding the question from Elbow Joe.....The 2010 FEH has a switch on the center panel lower dash that is for turning OFF the AWD Traction Control. This doesn't help much on the earlier model years. I know our 2006 Escape XLT AWD didn't have the switch.

GARY

Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ElbowJoe
I absolutely love my '03 Escape Ltd in the snow. Ford can call it whatever they want. It works!!

I have a general Escape traction question. A friend went on a UP fishing trip this past spring with this father in law who has an '09 Escape. He claims they parked on a small grassy hill and got stuck on the wet grass when they went to leave. He said they could not get the Escape moving due to the traction control system preventing any wheel spin. The system applied braking to wheels about to slip and limited the RPMs. End result is that the Escape would not move forward.

He said they could not find a way to turn the traction control off. I also have a fleet Chrysler Pacifica front wheel drive (really sucks - but it is free) and this happened to me during a recent snow fall. I ended up turning off the TCS and flooring it - permitting wheel spin to get moving. I would be surprised to find out that Ford did not include a way of turning off TCS for instances just like this. Perhaps someone could comment on this......
The '09 has a switch which disables the TC. Not sure what the '03 had in the way of TC, maybe marginal or none at all.

We just had about 8" of snow. They plowed the street but left the end of the street where it meets a main road untouched. It isn't bad turning right but turning right into the street is pretty deep. Returning home today, turning left into the street, a van was approaching the corner, so I was forced into the deep stuff. The front end dug in, the rear end started to come around and I had to turn into the slide to correct it. Not sure if TC was activated but this is how spinouts happen a higher speeds. Not sure what you guys are all raving about as I haven't been overly impressed yet.

My last two vehicles Ford 4x4 Rangers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Happy with performance in snow