1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

e4od questions

Old 12-26-2010, 11:19 PM
jakemb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e4od questions

Try and make a long story short here,Bought a 96 psd 4x4 for parts today.It's a high milage truck but alot of new parts I though i could make use of.Motor fired right up at -20c up here and after a minute or two no smoke and ran very smooth.So here's the questions,I bought it for parts for my other psd but looking at it maybe to nice to part out.Owner told me trans we shot but once I got there truck was all together and he told me he was towing a trailer and a big cloud of smoke from all the oil dumping out and he pulled over.Mechanic just pulled the inspection cover under the torque conv. and told him the pump was shot and he'd need a complete overhaul.So is this common? Can the pump be diagnosed that easy? Would the pump send metal threwout the whole trans if blowen up.I only buy standards so these e4od are new to me.If the weather warms up I'll pull the pan and report back but didn't want to start stripping it down finding it didn't need a few thousand stuck into it to get back on the road.Anything I could check without pulling the trans in the cold.
thanks and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Jake

Old 12-27-2010, 12:39 AM
jeremy2008
Senior User
The pump part sounds kind of fishy because the torq converter is pretty big an fills almost the whole bell housing an the pump is behind that an behind a metal plate behind the torq converter so i am saying no way.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:51 AM
jakemb
Senior User
Well I just was out looking over the new purchase and the plate is still off under the torque,it is dry but some oil coming from the tranny side of the bell housing on the inside toward where the pump would be.Looks like the oil pan has not been off but can't say for sure.I had to start it to turn the wheels while unloading and the light on the shifter is on,I did not put it into gear though.I'd like to put oil in it and see what it does,what oil is recomended?

Old 12-27-2010, 12:42 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usually when u pull trailers and it overheats it smokes the clutches and melts plastic thrust washers and stuffinside the tranny i would say pull the tranny its probly not the pump but im sure the clutches are burned up inside. When that happens it sends metal shavings through the tranny and valve body and valves start sticking and you get low pressure issues and overheating and theres nothing short of rebuild that u can do to save it. Chances arw very slim that everythings ok.. Not trying to burst your bubble. When they start overheating the tranny The more u drive it the worse they get and the less your parts bill will be

Old 12-27-2010, 12:57 PM
jakemb
Senior User
I just got in from the cold and pulled the pan,not much oil and it did't smell great but everything looked clean and only what i would say normal gunk on the magnet.I just didn't want to pull the trans if not needed.We had a ford taurus we put 300000 on and twice it pumped the oil out of the trans front seal.It happened at 100000 the first time and I added oil let it cool off and never did rebuild it and always worked great.I think I'll put the pan back on and fil it with oil and see if it drives even just enough to get it moved around the yard.Pretty tough to move it with all the snow.
thanks

How much oil does it hold and what is recomended in the e4od.I was just going buy some chea stuff for today.
Jake

Old 12-27-2010, 04:40 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fill it up with 16 quarts of Mercon or Mercon V. If you only drained the pan, figure around 7 ish quarts.
Road test it to see what is wrong with it. Good chance the pump seal is toast.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:06 PM
jakemb
Senior User
Here the verdict,I got oil but only 12q.No leak.Drove it down the driveway half mile and back work fine but I don't really know how it should shift.Got back a stream of oil coming from where the pump seal would be and the light on the shifter is on.So the tranny hasto come out but what is the condition of the tranny,who knows./the oil was more like semi dirty motor oil and didn't smell good.Guess as time provides trans will come out and deciede if it is a parts truck or not.Runs nice though with no smoke and the body does have a fair bit of surface rust that isn't a problem to repair later.Thanks for the reply's
Jake