1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

traction bars for 96 250/350

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:26 PM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
traction bars for 96 250/350

hey guys iam looking at trying to cut down some wheel hop on my old girl, wanted to see if any of you have made a set of tration bars or whats a good set to run. i would rather make some if any one has some good info most of the ones i found are like 3to 500 bucks. thanks guys

Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 AM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had some on the 94 when I bought it. The person I got it from had a set on it that were pretty badly made. Way to small front hiems and welded solid to the rear axle. Needless to say the spider gears when boom from being in a bind.
I re made them with some top links from tractor supply. I'm going to put them on this truck this week. Gotta teach my buddy how to use his new welder so I gonna show him how to make some brackets for the front. And for rear brackets I got some brackets from ballistic fab. Axle Tube LINK Tabs

I'll post some pics later this week hopefully.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:40 AM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by bad12jr
I had some on the 94 when I bought it. The person I got it from had a set on it that were pretty badly made. Way to small front hiems and welded solid to the rear axle. Needless to say the spider gears when boom from being in a bind.
I re made them with some top links from tractor supply. I'm going to put them on this truck this week. Gotta teach my buddy how to use his new welder so I gonna show him how to make some brackets for the front. And for rear brackets I got some brackets from ballistic fab. Axle Tube LINK Tabs

ok sweet thanks man

Old 12-29-2010, 09:47 PM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

hey man was just seeing how your traction bars was comeing? i gotta get some on my @ss is all over the place, it hops so much more being a manual!!! backing up it hops really bad! thanks man! cant wait to see them! why would he weld them in solid?? i like the tabs in your link, i was thinking them on rearend like your doing with tractor top link and a bolt threw that, then just take some heavy wall pipe weld it all it, the tap in top link should let it piviot at rearend, then on other end thinking an ajustable top link welded in my pipe, then make a plate welded to frame droping it down and put a pen that right next to top links on it and bamm its done! lol, what do you think??? may use an ajustibal top link at rearend as well???? sorry i dont have pics of my idea, you just gotta pic it in your head! lol

Old 12-30-2010, 07:50 AM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Well Jason we started to work on it last night but the grinder we had sucked.

Here some pics of the bars. They need repainted. But I took a toplink and cut in half. Used both ends that way the bars can be adjusted on the truck. They are like 6 ft long or so.

This is how the rearend was on the other truck. Was our first attempt to use the plasma cutter at school. And those guestimate measurements didn't help.

Welding to the rearend probably seemed like it was a good idea. If I was pulling a sled I'd mount them as solid as I could. He probably saw some on a pulling truck and tried to copy them.

As soon as I get the brackets for the front made they are going on. Need more hours in the day the rest of the week. New years doesn't count

Old 12-30-2010, 08:03 AM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Your idea sounds good. I used 3/4" Grade 8 bolts. Don't forget to get some small gauge chain or cable to put under front of the bars just incase something would break the bar won't dig into the ground.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:46 PM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Your idea sounds good. I used 3/4" Grade 8 bolts. Don't forget to get some small gauge chain or cable to put under front of the bars just incase something would break the bar won't dig into the ground.
got ya on that, how are you mounting to frame and rearend??

Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Rearend I'm using those brackets on ballistic. On the front I'm making a bracket like this

I was going to put it under the frame but my fuel pumps in the way.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:02 AM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Rearend I'm using those brackets on ballistic. On the front I'm making a bracket like this

I was going to put it under the frame but my fuel pumps in the way.
kinda what i was thinking on it those brackits your going to use on the rearend are a weld in as well right?? arent they almost like what was onit??

Old 12-31-2010, 01:50 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
The rear is similar. Weld them on Just doesnt have the bottom on them. They are 1/4" plate and look alot more professional.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:58 PM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

The rear is similar. Weld them on Just doesnt have the bottom on them. They are 1/4" plate and look alot more professional.
got you and you said they are like six foot,? cant wait to see them on!!! i got a buddy that dose powder coating going to have myn powder coated red i think. so you think this set up will work well??? lot of thr othere are triangals and not just one pipe???

Old 12-31-2010, 03:25 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
As long as the pipe is thick enough you should be fine. I've only ever seen one set bend and that was pulling. The pipe wasn't thick enough wall.
I think mine is schedule 120 or something like that. It is thick walled.

I had them on the other track for a year. I ran around for a month with out them when I swapped axles and it was night and day when they were on. It will set and go vs hopping off the line.

They ended right under the door.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:39 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
THe one-pipe style should work fine. There are several guys on here who have made similar bars to the ones you guys are doing.

I'm planning on a similar setup on my truck. Just be aware that if you are towing heavy you may need to adjust the bars so they don't bind with the suspension flexed.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:47 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
I need to find a picture I got of mine. It was in such a bind the door wouldn

Old 12-31-2010, 03:50 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Open. The suspension was fine.

Quick Reply: traction bars for 96 250/350