1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

E4od gurus once again

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:39 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E4od gurus once again

Ok i have a 97 ford psd. tranny works great, but i want to make the truck a 4x4. I got a transmission from a 95 4x4 diesel truck. i do know how to rebuild the e4od, i have done it succesfully a couple times/: im getting better each time those r tricky i know. But what i wabt to know is does the 95 tranny have the same pump gears as my 97? Does the 95 have less vlutches in any gear? Does the 95 have any aluminum planetaries in it? What i am trying to avoid is my truck being down for more than a day or two. At the same time i dont want to put a weaker trans (95)than what i already got in my truck (97) neither trans has ever been rebuilt and the 97 has 200,000 miles and the 95 has 275,000 miles on it. I want to rebuild it to be as strong as possible without going crazy on my budget 2,000 dollars parts. I know my 97 has all the best goodies inside, but i want to have the 4x4 ready to slap in as soon as i pull the 2wd out. I was looking at the kits from patc.com with a new converter and a rebuild kit is 1,000 bux plus i want to put the bigger drums that hold more clutches wherever possible and red eagle clutches billet input shaft new pump gears and all new thrust washers. I already have a complete shift kit from transgo and im going to put that in it too.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:31 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't rebuilt one in several years but I do know that if it's off another powerstroke then you should be ok. I used to replace a lot of planetaries on one year model but I can't remember which one. I think it was the 95. Yours has most likely been rebuilt already though don't ya think? A good shop would have already fixed that hopefully.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:21 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
Nope i know the hostory on both trucks since new my grandpa bpyght one new and uncle the other i dont know how or why but neither trans has ever given trouble i guess preventive maintnance?? I have a 80 hp chip on my 2wd 97ext cab which is my daily driver and a beautiful truck
and the other 95 is 4x4 4door dana 60 but that truck is rotten and is in disrepair but complete. It runs on 4 cyl i think its the uvch but im not sure. I want to put the d 60 in my ext cab and rebuild the tranny put 35's on it maybe think about adding some hp or swapping in a common rail cummins so i may have a powerstroke engine or two for sale shortly. Or maybe swap the powerstroke into my jetboat?? (: that would be fun but not sure about the weight issues with that.. Anyways back to the tranny i dont want any aluminum planetaries

Old 12-26-2010, 11:37 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
Im also going to put posi rear and either posi front or full spool. Everybody says full spool front would be way too agressive and i dont know how well it would hold up with 35's and a diesel engine sitting on top of the front axle. My friend has a posi front dana 60 and its set up tight he says too tight but not unbearable i want good traction whichever way i go.. I have a dana 70 rear with a good posi i might put that under my ext cab.. I really like the 10.25 i got now but its open diff. I know they are strong because i had a 350 hp cummins in my old truck same rear end and never had problems with it. But i wouldnt have to spend money on the dana.. I know the 10.5 posis are strong and can be set up tight but i would still have to buy it... Im not rich lol i just love my old ford and making it fun to drive and its just so beautiful!