1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superduty Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 01:55 AM
js139
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superduty Seats?

Hey all. So here is the deal. I was on craigslist this last weekend and saw some dude selling two black leather captains chairs out of the 2005 f-350 harley. He only wanted $200 for the set, so I figured it was a good deal. So I called the guy and went and took a look at them. He had two black leather captains chairs, but not the Harley ones as they were missing the emblems. I told him they weren't Harley seats and offered him $100. To my surprise, he took it. So after 30 minutes of good cleaning (to get the layers of dust off them), I now have myself two mint condition black leather captains chairs to replace my old worn cloth chairs in my 1999. Score for getting $100 mint condition seats.

So now here is the question. After I cleaned them up, I went to put them in and realized that the brackets were slightly different. Both seats have a different bracket coming down the outside of the seat that bolts into the side of the floor board (because the spot where the seat sits is raised up). Unfortunately, the crew cab trucks don't have this and the floorboard is shaped slightly different, so this keeps you from using these brackets in the truck. After some measurements, I have determined that the other 4 bolt holes are in the exact same location as my existing seats, so if I cut the side bracket off, the seats will mount into my truck just fine. Is there anyone who can confirm this? From looking at the bracketry, this doesn't appear that it will impair the structure of the seat or the operation of the seat. It just seems to be an extra bracket used in supercab truck (my theory is these came out of a supercab).

Second question. Both seats are full power and all of the stock wiring is under the seats. Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for these seats or does someone know what which wires go to? There are 5 total (3 green w/ diff stripes, 1 brown, and 1 black). This will be essential to know in getting the seats to function properly. If I knew more about the seats, it might make it easier to find the diagram, but I just don't know. I know enough to know the guy was incorrect on the year and make of the truck these came from, but not enough to determine the actual year and make.

Like I said before, my guess is these are out of a 2003 - 2004 Lariat Supercab. My reason for thinking this is 1.) the bracketry is different and it has the weird side bracket which the crew cabs don't have 2.) 05+ Harley seats had emblem and the leather seats were heated, these are not 3.) the back of the seat has the plastic kick guards as opposed to the soft cover that crew cab seats have. The above info is my best guestimate, but I am hoping someone can set me straight and provide the info I need. Non-the-less, not a bad deal for a $100.

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-23-2010, 10:50 AM
js139
Senior User
Did I really break new ground with this question? Does anyone have any ideas how I can determine what the wires go to?

Old 12-23-2010, 11:22 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
It is my understanding that all the front seats will mount up the same, from '99 - at least '10. So I don't understand why you would have different brackets. Usually it is just a matter of armrests, or no armrests.

Makes me wonder if they are even SD seats, and not F150 or something.

Anyway, I have an '05 schematic. Why don't you tell us what color wires you have on the seats and I will compare to my schematic. If they match, I can tell you which wire does what.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
It is my understanding that all the front seats will mount up the same, from '99 - at least '10. So I don't understand why you would have different brackets. Usually it is just a matter of armrests, or no armrests.

Makes me wonder if they are even SD seats, and not F150 or something.
x2..........thats exactly what I discovered when I fitted Corbeau buckets into my 08, the brackets at the time were listed as '99-'03 but they bolted up perfectly.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:16 PM
deyauger
New User
cant you just change the brackets?

Old 12-23-2010, 12:19 PM
_Me2_
Elder User
You realize you just bought stolen seats, right?

Old 12-23-2010, 12:30 PM
js139
Senior User
I suppose it is possible that they aren't superduty seats. However, the brackets are identical except for the weird side piece. I can take the seats off the brackets and put them on mine, but then I would lose the power seat feature as all of the motors and such are part of the existing bracket. Therefore, I would prefer to use those brackets.

Bpounds, I am at work right now, but I will get the wire colors and pictures tonight and re-post. Hopefully you can match them to your schematic.

Me2, I thought about that, but I don't think they were stolen. The guy I bought these from had a bunch of totaled cars in his yard and was rebuilding them. He had parts for all kinds of cars all over the place. I don't think if he was in the business of stealing cars and parts, he would take me through his yard and into his shop. That would be pretty stupid on his part and he didn't appear nervous or anything. I felt comfortable buying them as I didn't get the impression they were stolen. I know I could be wrong, but with the types of cars and parts he had, it looked more like he was just rebuilding cars for money.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:56 PM
_Me2_
Elder User
That makes sense. I guess he's just not much of a haggler, then...

Old 12-23-2010, 05:01 PM
2002 F350V10
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe they are off an extended cab superduty. Usually the seat belt set ups are different also. I have seen them listed on ebay that way, with the extra piece on the seat frame.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Extended cab seats should have the seat belts built into the seat.
I have a nice leather set from an 02 that way. I want to put them into my crewcab but the brackets are different.
Im curious how yours turn out.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:15 AM
js139
Senior User
So here is a quick update for those following this thread. I finally got back to this project. I took some measurements and removed the side bracket off the extended cab seats. The cut and mounting of the passenger seat worked like a charm and you could not tell the bracket was ever cut. However, another problem arose with this instal. It would appear that the seats sit different on the bracket, therefore when installed into my CC, I lost about 8 inches of leg room on the passenger seat. I am going to look at it closer in the daylight to determine if there is something that is hanging up or if I am missing something, but as of now, it doesn't look like this bracket will fit.

As for the driver's seat, I have not gotten this one in as I am still working on the wiring issue. It does appear that this seat goes back as far as my stock 99 driver's seat, so I think this one will work, but not entirely sure yet. I will keep everyone posted.

As for the wire colors, There are 5 wires for the driver's seat. They are brown with a green stripe, green with a black stripe, green with a red strip, solid green, and solid black. Bpounds, I PM'd you this information. If anyone can check their schematics and tell me how to wire this thing, I will get the seat in and get some pics out for everyone.

Thanks!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:04 AM
wolfman08
Junior User
I just installed power seats in my 2002 XL truck which didn't have any of the factory seat wiring, so I had to install all new wires as well as the connectors on the back of the central junction box. I have the wiring diagrams at home, but if I remember correctly, mine had six wires. These are heated seats though, so that may be different.

I'll try to find the wiring diagrams when I get home this evening.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:51 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by js139
As for the wire colors, There are 5 wires for the driver's seat. They are brown with a green stripe, green with a black stripe, green with a red strip, solid green, and solid black. Bpounds, I PM'd you this information. If anyone can check their schematics and tell me how to wire this thing, I will get the seat in and get some pics out for everyone.
Those colors do not exactly match an '05 so far as I can tell. But the Green and Black do match, and those are power and ground to the seat movement motors. All the wiring to the seat switches is integral, so if you wire up those two conductors the seats should move. Green is hot, Black is ground.

I don't know what the other wires are, but probably for heated seats. However the colors do not match my schematic, so I can't say what they are.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:52 PM
js139
Senior User
So I finished getting the seats installed. For the passenger seat, I had to swap the bracket with my 1999 seat's bracket. The swap was simple and everything lined up perfectly. For the driver's seat, when I removed the old 1999 seat, it turns out that it was already wired. I have no idea why as there is no power in the seat of any kind. Anyways, I disconnected the wires and looked at the colors and it was green, brown with a blue stripe, and black. I put the new seat in (which the bracket lined up perfectly after cutting the excess bracket off) and the old wires cliped right in to the new seat connector. Everything works perfectly. It could not have been easier. There is another connector on the new seat, but it appear to go to the seatbelt, so I assume it is one of the seat belt sensors used on newer truck. Anyways, the swap was perfect and looks great. Here are some pics.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:21 PM
2002 F350V10
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The seat belt plug goes to the inside drivers buckle. If it is unplugged under the seat, when you start the truck, the seat belt light will go on for a second or two, and then shut off. I found this out when dealing with seat swaps similar to yours, however I was dealing with front seats from a crew cab mounting into a standard cab truck.

Quick Reply: Superduty Seats?