1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Non-tilt Steering Column Upper bearings

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:36 PM
makomark
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-tilt Steering Column Upper bearings

Did the upper steering column bearings this past weekend and thought I'd share some notes. Found several posts but some had some details omitted. Here's some notes from my experience....maybe they can help somebody in the future.

Found a decent set of instructions, via a post here on FTE, from the www site stolenandrecovered_dot_com. though for a newer auto, it was enough to get most things done. Only the deviations from those instructions will get discussed.

Wound up 'borrowing' a small puller from AZ to pop the wheel free. Too Cold to spend the time trying to manhandle it.

Turns out you DON'T have to mess with the shift indicator string or the adjuster, at least with the "straight" column. Also, don't have to remove the lower trim or loosen the lower mounts. If you don't have an assortment of TORX drivers, lowering the column may help with the two screws holding the upper housing.

Got all the way down to the last two screws to remove the upper housing. Removed them and spent the next hour (yes, in the cold) figuring out why the housing wouldn't lift off. Had a little axial movement but only about a 1/4".

Turns out there's a hook (spring loaded, i think) that holds the 'bottom' of the upper housing to the rest of the column. Used a large screwdriver the pry the hook down and the housing slid right off.

Lots of junk and grindings down there. Also, turns out the main shaft has the joint in it like a tilt wheel does. I suspect they are the same part for either. Shaft was okay but the bearings were shot. lower bearing was still tight.

Swapping the bearings in the housing was straight forward. Only trick is installing the bearings correctly. When you look at the machining on the shaft, it's pretty obvious.

I found an old spark plug socket was more appropriate to install the tensioning spring. Also figured out why the "sleeve kit" was so expensive - Ford includes a tube of Nyogel for the horn/cruise electric "slip ring replacement". If i have to do another one, I'd skip the kit and buy the ring and sleeve with the bearings.

I have the part numbers if anybody is interested, just not readily available tonight.