Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Fatal Windstar Defect

Old 12-22-2010, 02:39 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fatal Windstar Defect

Ford Slow To Respond To Fatal Windstar Defect, Gets Brian Ross'd

So,Ford Built Tough means only for trucks?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:04 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
So,Ford Built Tough means only for trucks?
One can like Ford trucks without trusting the company that builds them. Cruise control fires come to mind as another infamous example....

Old 12-23-2010, 01:01 AM
Hola Man
Senior User
Exploding Pintos, exploding Crown Vics, exploding Exploders that either explode, rollover, or both (it was the tire's fault, yeah, that's the ticket), and collapsing 67-70 Mustang/Cougar front shock/spring towers too!
Regards, Eric

Old 12-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im not sure im following whats the gist of this recall..

is it the axle is just breaking or is it rotting out due to rust ?

if its just failing due to rust, well thats hardly Fords problem if the car is not safe due to rust..

that axle in the video looks like it was sawn in half then rigged to snap on command..

Old 12-24-2010, 04:08 AM
Hola Man
Senior User
It may be a little of both but axles shouldn't be rotting out at only ten year of age anyways. You don't hear of anybody else's stuff breaking like this. (Well, except for Toyotas.)

Yes, the axle was rigged so they could film and monitor exactly what happens when they break. Not only do we have axles breaking that shouldn't be breaking, but we also have a flawed design that allows the wheel and broken axle to tuck in under the van and flip the whole thing over. Fun, fun, fun!
Regards, Eric

Old 12-24-2010, 09:58 AM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Steel can be spec'ed for corrosion resistance. We lose billions of dollars in vehicle damage every year to rust that isn't necessary.

ISO freight containers last for decades and are made of corrosion-resistant steel. "Green" construction that increases vehicle life, reduces maintenance, and improves safety is long overdue. Of course, makers want to sell NEW vehicles, so that won't be a concern to them.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:08 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my ford products but despise the way ford routinely dishonors warranty claims and is so slow to admit inherent design flaws......spitting plugs, numerous 6.0 and 6.4 catastrophic failures come to mind.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:25 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
My friend has over eight thousand dollars in engine repairs on his 6.0 with under 200K miles, but is blinded by the fact he spent so much money buying his "country status symbol". It makes very nice power when it's not in the shop...

That's like saying "my wife is wonderful because she spends all my money!". Of course, he has an ex-wife that did that too...

I respond by never buying new. Let the bad trucks blow up on the chumps who don't do their homework, let them eat the depreciation, and I'll pick from what's proven good.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:24 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
The problem may be real, but that video is a joke.

I got the notice a few months ago for my '99. Still haven't had the fix done. I've taken pretty good care of it and wash it often. I don't see anything like what they describe under there. Nonetheless I will be taking it in soon for the repair.

I will say that without question, my '99 Windstar LX 3.8 V6 has been by far the best vehicle I have ever owned reliability wise. I bought it new, 214,000 miles and counting with nothing more than minor repairs and regular maintenance items, knock on wood.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:39 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
is it the axle is just breaking or is it rotting out due to rust ?
Could be improper heat treatment, rust or a number of things. Seems the recall is targeted to states which see road salt and winter conditions. That points more towards rust.

The media is very good at blowing recalls out of proportion as was witnessed with Toyota's "runaway" car issues. I chuckle everytime I hear someone bring up the explorers rolling over. Having driven and maintained Explorers for years and personally witnessing a late 90s Explorer doing 65mph sideways on the turnpike without rolling over and etc. I guess I should thank my lucky stars to still be here today. My sister told me she just got a recall notice for her 95' Expl.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ford has always been bad on recalls. One of the first things I did when I got my Ranger was to make sure the CCDS was taken care of. Luckily my Ranger was new enough that it got the update switch and wiring.

I know some of the Rangers/Explorers are prone to transmission problems, and Ford refuses to recognize that too.