1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Did the Econoline ever come with a manual transmission?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:07 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in the last couple years, i think i've seen 3 or 4 manual e-vans in my local junkyards, but never bothered to pull any parts.
ideally you find one donor van that has the pedals, tranny, and everything you need, then take pictures as you take it apart so when you get confused you have something to refer to.
the 300-6 you have would be much happier with a manual behind it.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by pulsar2121
Wow, that was quite a bit of reading to get here. Anyways, I will soon be getting my father's 1984 Ford E-150 Econoline with the 300 L6 and the 3 speed auto. The fuel economy is poor to say the least. It shifts into third at 25mph!
Yeah, so I would much rather have a stick, but I am not quite sure how much work that would be for this vehicle. It looks like getting access to the transmission would be pretty easy. I have been looking around locally for used manual transmission prices. They are not too bad. I could get a 3 speed manual for about $150. The big question is: Where do I get the clutch pedal? Also, I would need a clutch, master cylinder, and slave cylinder. And I'm assuming I would need a shifter and the linkage to go along with it. And would I need to swap out the computer on a model this old?

So basically I'm just wondering how much work is involved in auto to manual swap for this vehicle and if it's worth it. Just trying to get some ideas.

Thanks,
pulsar2121
Going to a 3 spd manual from a C6 auto is a lot of work for not much gain. Myself I love manual transmissions, so it's well worth it to me. A manual will have a little less power loss then the automatic. And the manual will give you full control on shifting.

Do you want a factory set up or do you want to fabricate your own set up?

If you want a factory pedal set it will require finding a donor van. Either in a salvage yard or buy an entire van to get the parts. And most of the manual transmission vans I have found for sale have been the older mechanical linkage ones. I couldn't find the exact set up I wanted so I'm having to mix and match parts from vans and trucks.

If you want to find one with the complete factory set up with a external hydraulic slave cylinder you will need to find an 83-87 with a manual transmission. Be prepared to search for a while.

If want want an aftermarket set up you'll need to get the clutch pedal, clutch master and slave cylinder. I prefer CNC brand parts but you could also go with Wilwood or any other brand you can find. Going this way you will have to figure out the pedal length and master cylinder bore size that will work with your set up.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,583 Likes on 1,291 Posts
Originally Posted by pulsar2121
Wow, that was quite a bit of reading to get here. Anyways, I will soon be getting my father's 1984 Ford E-150 Econoline with the 300 L6 and the 3 speed auto. The fuel economy is poor to say the least. It shifts into third at 25mph!
Yeah, so I would much rather have a stick, but I am not quite sure how much work that would be for this vehicle. It looks like getting access to the transmission would be pretty easy. I have been looking around locally for used manual transmission prices. They are not too bad. I could get a 3 speed manual for about $150. The big question is: Where do I get the clutch pedal? Also, I would need a clutch, master cylinder, and slave cylinder. And I'm assuming I would need a shifter and the linkage to go along with it. And would I need to swap out the computer on a model this old?

So basically I'm just wondering how much work is involved in auto to manual swap for this vehicle and if it's worth it. Just trying to get some ideas.

Thanks,
pulsar2121
You will gain nothing with a 3 speed manual. 3rd gear is still 1:1.

The 4 speed ODs can be found, but the Mazda 5 speed is easier to find and has much better gear spacing. Go up to the post with the pics--the dog house shifter thing is a bit funky, but it will be a better set up.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:31 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
You will gain nothing with a 3 speed manual. 3rd gear is still 1:1.

The 4 speed ODs can be found, but the Mazda 5 speed is easier to find and has much better gear spacing. Go up to the post with the pics--the dog house shifter thing is a bit funky, but it will be a better set up.

I wouldn't say there no gain. The C6 is a power hog and it's heavy!! Plus you don't control the shifting.

If he's looking for the complete donor van the 3spd+ OD ( 4spd ) vans are easier to find then the 5spd vans.

If you are talking about just finding a transmission then the mazda 5sp would be easier to find. But it doesn't mean it's better. They have the concentric slave cylinder ( internal slave ) . Which means when you have an issue with the slave cylinder ( a very common problem with those ) you are dropping the driveshaft and pulling the transmission. With an external slave if you have a problem you just pop off the slave cylinder. Much easier.

A lot depends on what he's using the van for.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:14 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,583 Likes on 1,291 Posts
You are correct about what he's using the van for. If he can get on the highway and stay in 3rd, the three speed will beat the C6. Otherwise, the gearing in the 3 speed is worse than the C6, and unless he's a robot, he won't shift as early or as often as the automatic, so at best he could end up the same as the auto. A lot of effort to change the trans, so, imo, go OD or stay with the C6.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:54 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
You are missing the point that he would rather have a manual. Some of us just don't like automatics. There is a reason most economy cars use to come with manual transmissions. Dumping the auto also let's you toss the kick down, vacuum modulator line, transmission cooler. Swapping to a manual will improve the mileage. But until it's done you don't know how much.

Myself I'd run the straight 3spd manual before I'd even consider that mazda 5spd. But then I'm a lot harder on my vehicles then most people ( lots of heavy hauling/towing ) . That's why mine is getting the NP435.

You don't know the what gears he's running either. If he's running a 2.75 or 3.08 gear an OD won't do much good anyways.

Depending on what he uses the van for and his budget a Tremec 5spd or 6spd would be a cool swap. Not cheap, but it would be a good transmission for a driver. Not so much if you do a lot of hauling/towing.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:56 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd love a 3 on the tree in a van, not for economy or anything, just the hell of it and the fun and uniqueness of it

Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
I'd love a 3 on the tree in a van, not for economy or anything, just the hell of it and the fun and uniqueness of it
What John, a floor shift in an Econoline not unique enough!!

Old 02-17-2013, 12:35 AM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
One or the other, witchever comes first

Old 02-17-2013, 12:38 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
One or the other, witchever comes first
How about 3 floor shifters?

Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 AM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Now you got me wanting to do more projects

Old 02-17-2013, 01:01 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Now you got me wanting to do more projects

I'm not that coordinated to drive that beast!!

I was just talking about the NP435, NP205 and an Advance Adapters Ranger OD box. Something simple.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:24 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
Good gravy man---last time I drove a three-on-the-tree was my '56 Ford 2 door Customline! I distinctly remember the first time that unmaintained linkage hung up and locked my stock tranny in TWO gears---talk about a shock! I was trying to look cool, cruising the local burger joint when this happened right in the middle of the driveway! (This was about 1967 or so IIRC...........)

Lucky for me a more knowledgeable dude helped me pound the linkage free and suggested I take care of it ASAP. Didn't listen until it happened a few more times----thought then to add a full synchro model from a '60 station wagon AND Hurst floor shifter. Too cool............so I thought anyway!

On topic I've never seen a standard shift E van of any year---quite then oddity here in my area I'm thinking.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
I got alot more pics of standard vans if you wanna see 'em

One I recently saved, is a '79 4 speed van, but it's the NP435 trans, the shifter goes through the dog house same as the M5OD's. That was one setup I've never seen before.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-17-2013, 03:12 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
I got alot more pics of standard vans if you wanna see 'em

One I recently saved, is a '79 4 speed van, but it's the NP435 trans, the shifter goes through the dog house same as the M5OD's. That was one setup I've never seen before.
I want pics of that!! I don't think I've ever seen a np435 in a van. You hear about them but never see them. It's like the unicorn of Econolines.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did the Econoline ever come with a manual transmission?