6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Lack headroom in my 2011 SD

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't received to truck yet, but I did drive an F250 Ranch King demo. I am 6'4" and seemed like I had plenty of room even with the sunroof. I always recline the seat a little when I get into a vehicle, old habit.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Truckland
New User
I am 6'-2" and test drove trucks with and without the moonroof. It took me awhile to find the truck with options I wanted and NO moonroof. I much prefer having the headroom.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:35 PM
sednec
Junior User
any updates or anyone found a solution?

Old 03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I am 6 foot 3 inches and I order everything without a moonroof because of the headroom you loose. The airbags on the 2011 F series pickup's make less room on the side of the headliner. I like others run my seat as low as it will go and the tilted to the rear. Makes it harder to wear a cowboy hat if you want to.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:39 AM
mikequ
New User
I have a 2011 F350 I picked up a month ago and have the same headroom issue. I was shocked after a couple days how much the seating position has changed. It seems that the sunroof takes a little more room than my 07 F250. And also the seat seams to be a couple inches higher. I am 6-2 300lbs and have never had an issue in Ford trucks, until this one. I also have an 08 F250 and have more than enough clearance.

I am convinced the seat being higher is the main culprit. I need to have the tilt wheel all the way up, and I wish it had an additional click or 2. Also, when I am sitting and put my feet flat on the floor, my legs are perfectly plumb with my thighs on the seat. In my other trucks, I had to keep my feet away from the seat to keep my thighs down. I usually drive with my seat all the way back, but need to move it foward 3-4 inches in this truck to compensate for the extra reclining i need to do, or I can't reach the steering wheel. I also notice that getting in the truck is harder as my head hits the to of the door opening. I expect that in my Fusion, not in a truck!. Now I get in my 08 and feel like I am sitting on the floor.

Also by having the seat 2 inches higher, I have a very difficult time seeing out my windshield. And the visor makes matters much worse. I need to stay 2 car lengths back and strain to see traffic lights!

I went to the dealer and they never heard of the problem. I say B.S. But they did send me to a place that does interiors and they offered a suggestion. Remove the seat cushion foam and take an inch to two inches off the bottom of the foam. The leather would need to be restretched and re-attached and it should not affect comfort whatsoever. I have 700 miles on my truck and it is getting aggravating hitting my head getting in and rubbing the ceiling while driving. I think within the next month, I will get the cushion modified an inch. I don't dare go the 2 inches. Than the brackets may be next. An inch on both would equal 2 inches and a happy me!!!!

Has anyone tried bracket mods yet?

Old 10-23-2011, 11:52 AM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Have you tried lowering the seat as far as it will go and reclining the back to as much of an angle that is comfortable to you? I adjust the steering wheel so I can see the instrument panel comfortably. I still don't have the headroom I like but I can live with it. I don't think I would want to modify the seats but would consider the brakets if it wasn't to much trouble.Do you have heated and cooled seats? If so modification could cause problems there. The side airbags still get in the way of my hat. Hope you can find something that works for you.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
He sure knows how to throw salt into a wound doesn't he Deere??!! We had a lot of discussion on this topic. I too was one who test drove a moonroofless truck and was surprised to find the lack of HR in the moonroof version. I keep thinking it is the lower headliner due to the airbag up there. Others, like Deere have their theory -- anyway you look at it, us tall guys are having a hard time fitting.
This is one of those situation when being 5' 8" finally has an advantage! I love everything about this truck!!!

Old 10-23-2011, 09:01 PM
shadow_almanza
Senior User
Well if these trucks cooled seats are like the navigators the seats have a little filter under the seat thats suppose to get changed and pulls air through them, so if you lower the seat bracketwise you might not pull enough air to keep the seat coolers workin properly, maybe the fans will overheat, idk just and idea.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:34 PM
mikequ
New User
I do have the heated and cooled seats. I have the seat as low as it will go and to have it reclined enough to make it bearable, I need to move the seat foward 4-5 inches to reach the steering wheel. It is really sad to say that my Fusion has much more headroom! I will start by modifying the seat cushion, even though I do not like the idea. It seems to be the most logical solution. Or cut the cab and raise it, But that will cost much more! And if the inch is not enough, I will look in to modifying the brackets. I will forego the cooled seats if need be. My head needs more room than my buns need cooling. My truck is generally used for long rides. Heated/cooled seats are only good for the first 10 minutes, after that they are at a comfortable temp and usually remain that way for hours.